Milling saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my saw im a little underpower now (Husky 359) is a Husky 385 big enough?

Or should i look for a 395?

Mark

Pretty much what Bob said about what your milling. Bigger as always better for milling as far as I can see. Husq 385xp is a nice saw though but for the difference in price I think I'd go all the way and get the 395xp. It's about $140 more for the 395xp.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Bob said about what your milling. Bigger as always better for milling as far as I can see. Husq 385xp is a nice saw though but for the difference in price I think I'd go all the way and get the 395xp.

+1. If you can afford to do so, go with the 395, you never know when you might need the extra juice. Good luck.

+1. If you can afford to do so, go with the 395, you never know when you might need the extra juice. Good luck.

I guess I always wondered to myself if some body was going to spend that much money on a big saw... spend the diff and get the 395, they are not that far apart. Then again, I know money can be tight... and so don't wanna tell somebody how to spend theirs.

What about a 390?

Lots of people talk about the 385 (not available in the UK) and the 395, but not the 390.

saw upgrade

You know the more I think about spending a grand on a new milling saw....I keep coming back to the thought that I should just invest that money in building a band mill....

Mark

You know the more I think about spending a grand on a new milling saw....I keep coming back to the thought that I should just invest that money in building a band mill....

Mark

If you have the welding skills and access too steel I would certainly go for it. There plenty of plans available, plus there some very skilled guys right here that have done so and might help you along. Rollermatic comes too mind in the UK and others. Here's his website if you'd like to check out the unit he build. http://www.chainsawmills.co.uk/

Last edited:
For milling , the bigger the better . I watched a small video on youtube the other day , they did a test on a stihL and husky filter system , the husky system is way better , almost unbelievable , this little video is well worth watching . Cheers MM http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE&feature=related

Amazing vid Matildasmate... let me just say that I have personally seen similar results on my saws. I own several Stihl AND Husky saws, and by FAR the Husky filters stay much cleaner in all situations than my Stihl 036, 361 or 460. I have only milled with the 460, but when I did I had to stop and clean up the filter and carb area often... where with my Husky 395, I pop it off and tap it clean every once in a while even though it rarely needs it.

Well, I got got out of the CSM thing about as fast I got into it, but my 385 did well by me. The 385, plus bar and a few loops is still less than a 395 ( in Syracuse NY). I will pick my little band mill any day over the CSM. I still keep keep the CSM rig around in case I get my hands on one of those free perfect huge logs I see posted here. You never know. The 385 is a great saw, just a little dusty around my other saws right now. Good luck.

You know the more I think about spending a grand on a new milling saw....I keep coming back to the thought that I should just invest that money in building a band mill....Mark

A grand? I'm into mine for about $650 and that includes everything - 48" mill, extra chains, aux. oiler, used saw (Husky 2100 with modded muffler mods, 37" bar (new tip), new clutch/sprocket , new starter, etc. etc. ), log moving tools (peaveys, cant hooks, log tongs, jack, chains/straps, come-a-long etc..), box-o-crap that I take with me that has everything you need on site - the works. Hell, even if you add in my sharpener and extra stones I only hit $800 - and that sharpener can make $$ back!

Nothing against bandmills - nothing at all actually, I'd love one. But you can put together a solid CSM for a lot less than a grand - it just takes a little ingenuity, scrounging and effort. And I could not have milled that last beech with a bandmill - not without hoisting the log out with a crane etc. Sometimes the mill has to come to the tree.

Nikko

Last edited:
I'm with Nikko. I've got very little money in my set up, have no place to park a bandmill, don't mill enough wood anymore to justify the money I'd invest in one, I mill most of what I mill where it lays since I don't have a truck or heavy equipment.

My mill hangs in my garage, the saws sit nicely on a shelf, and the bars hang off of that shelf. I've got a milk crate that holds my bar oil, mix oil, gas can, aux oiler and cordless drill when needed on the shelf above the saws. Cant hooks lean against the shelf. Another plastic box has my chains. Much smaller and less expensive than a bandmill. Works for me.

Mark

The bandmills sure do cut faster.....and you will get more life out of the engine. Also the blades are cheaper and I think they last alot longer too :). But a nice chainsaw mill might still be needed for those extra large logs, or the ones way too heavy to move.

I'm with Nikko. I've got very little money in my set up, have no place to park a bandmill, don't mill enough wood anymore to justify the money I'd invest in one, I mill most of what I mill where it lays since I don't have a truck or heavy equipment.

My mill hangs in my garage, the saws sit nicely on a shelf, and the bars hang off of that shelf. I've got a milk crate that holds my bar oil, mix oil, gas can, aux oiler and cordless drill when needed on the shelf above the saws. Cant hooks lean against the shelf. Another plastic box has my chains. Much smaller and less expensive than a bandmill. Works for me.

Good point too.....you do need the space for it.....I'm kinda eatin up a chunk of my driveway right now......sucks.

All I can say is I bought a 395xp and I am surprised how much power it has I own a 455 rancher as a firewood saw and the 395 would eat it for breakfast! I milled a very old dead red oak and the speed was much faster than I expected. I just tore into a old willow limb and it was a little slower but I think the chain wasn't up to par hopefully I will get some pics up over the weekend. I checked my air filter after milling the red oak and not one spec of sawdust or dirt I blew it out with my air compressor anyway but no dust and I had it buried in the cuts I took! I think my saw is capable of much more in the rpm's department as when it runs out of gas it really rev's up I may take it in and see if it needs/should be adjusted I would rather run it backed off a bit and not burn it out quick. I'm sure stihl is a good saw too I don't think you could go wrong with either and for the record CMS may require a certain type of person one that really appreciates wood and has just a tad more patience than the average person and isn't tied to putting dollar signs on every peice they turn out but all in all it is a very viable way to make lumber I am addicted!! Good luck irishcountry

Irishcounty, I am not sure what is worse an elm or willow. Either will challenge any saw.

Band mills don’t take up that much room. Mine sits proudly in the front yard wearing its’ blue HF tarp, I conceder it a fine example of red neck lawn art. OK I promised the wife I will move it up to the farm next weekend…

MJR I figured that was why it took so long to cut after I got my first peice off and put the block plane on it I knew what happened the grain runs allover!! Very fuzzy even when sanded so not sure how much more of it I will mill but it is right by our pond and it will make a great natural bench to fish off if I ever get it dredged and stocked (on the to do list!!) Never tried elm but the firewood I had looked like it would make nice lumber even if it is hard to mill. This morning I got out early to split up some logs I bought early spring for firewood and it is killing me the grain looks very nice in some of them I think I am going to save some of them now that I have gotten a good look at them. I would like to get a mini-mill and make some beams 6x6 or 8x8 not sure how hard it will be to line up the heartwood but I can't cut them into firewood!!! What a dillema heat or lumber sure i'm not the first that has had that problem on this site. For the record a bandmill would be nice too just not in the budget for me right now your lucky!! irishcountry

Last edited:
All I can say is I bought a 395xp and I am surprised how much power it has I own a 455 rancher as a firewood saw and the 395 would eat it for breakfast! I milled a very old dead red oak and the speed was much faster than I expected. I just tore into a old willow limb and it was a little slower but I think the chain wasn't up to par hopefully I will get some pics up over the weekend. I checked my air filter after milling the red oak and not one spec of sawdust or dirt I blew it out with my air compressor anyway but no dust and I had it buried in the cuts I took! I think my saw is capable of much more in the rpm's department as when it runs out of gas it really rev's up I may take it in and see if it needs/should be adjusted I would rather run it backed off a bit and not burn it out quick. I'm sure stihl is a good saw too I don't think you could go wrong with either and for the record CMS may require a certain type of person one that really appreciates wood and has just a tad more patience than the average person and isn't tied to putting dollar signs on every peice they turn out but all in all it is a very viable way to make lumber I am addicted!! Good luck irishcountry

Irish,

Your saw is probably going a little lean as it runs out of fuel. That's what the "extra" speed is. In reality, I would not try too tune for those higher revs when using it for milling. In normal chainsaw usage, your bucking a log at wide open throttle for a minute, maybe, then idling. This is what they were designed for. When milling you've got allot more time at WOT. I would prefer to run the saw slightly richer and for-go that little extra in revs for the cooling that slightly richer allows. Maybe your only getting 90% of the available power but over time the saw will last longer. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back