Milling with BIL Mill and the 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marri and Stringy bark

Very nice pics of the marri Bob , I see marri and stringy bark look almost identical . Cheers MM

Very nice pics of the marri Bob , I see marri and stringy bark look almost identical . Cheers MM

Thanks MM.

Marri is quite a variable timber in that it can range from being riddled with kino rings to almost none like this one I milled last year.
attachment.php

I'm just using regular Stihl lube (whatever that is) @ 40:1 - that's my standard milling mix.

You might want to try Stihl HP Ultra. it is a full synthetic and rated highly by the techies over on the chainsaw forum. I have been using it in all my saws including my 075. I think it is great for milling because it is a low smoke oil and what smoke there is smells more like you are cooking some thing. as an added bonus it is also biodegradable.

You might want to try Stihl HP Ultra. it is a full synthetic and rated highly by the techies over on the chainsaw forum. I have been using it in all my saws including my 075. I think it is great for milling because it is a low smoke oil and what smoke there is smells more like you are cooking some thing. as an added bonus it is also biodegradable.

Thanks BR. I don't know if we can get it here in Australia - at least I have never seen it for sale anywhere.

Certainly appreciate showing fabbing work Bob.Looks like your
ironing out the kinks,getting right into it.......
Like how the new set up,on the horizontal mill ,exhaust works to blow dust clear.
Have seen some old clear seasoned Marri that looks very similar to clear Jarrah....touch blonder.....old bridge pylons

Graeme.

Certainly appreciate showing fabbing work Bob.Looks like your
ironing out the kinks,getting right into it.......
Like how the new set up,on the horizontal mill ,exhaust works to blow dust clear.
Have seen some old clear seasoned Marri that looks very similar to clear Jarrah....touch blonder.....old bridge pylons
Graeme.

Thanks Graeme, have you seen the Stihl Ultra (fully synthetic) oil for sale in Australia?

Thanks BR. I don't know if we can get it here in Australia - at least I have never seen it for sale anywhere.

If you have a good local stihl dealer they should be able to find out if their parts distribution center stocks it and if so then they should be able to get it for you. the two dealers closest to me are crazy on their prices and will only stock the 1 gal mix bottles and want me to order a full case of any other size. A dealer 2 hours away stocks the 2.5 gal mix bottles and the price is good enough that it is still cheaper to have them mail it to me than buy it local. From my source there is no price difference between the 3.2 0z. 6.4 oz. or 1L bottles, so I go with the convienience of the 2.5 gal mix bottles (50:1) but for you 40:1 blokes the 1 liter bottle would probably be a better choice.

It is nice knowing that the mix oil is bio degradable and there are some regs for cutting around wetlands that require its usage but to be honest the reason I use it is because of the low smoke factor. It is also nice that the smoke it does produce smells more like you are cooking something rather than sucking on the exhause of a motorcycle. I pulled the jug on my 051 before switching to it and recently had a look see and there is no significant visual wear and much less carbon build up than with some of the dino oils I have used.

Are you saying you are just using mobil blue lube ie not the stihl branded stuff? It says on the stihl bottle that it is made by mobil.

Have used Mobil2T and now using Stihl blue.I alternate with whats handy to get in these 2....and size wise ,what dollars avail.....nice to get the 20 so don't have to bother for a while
Also used another synthetic in the past .Name escapes me...
started with E.

I called up my friendly Stihl dealer yesterday and they said Stihl Australia does not import any lubes but sources all their stuff from Mobil Australia.

So I then looked up the Mobil website and there are 2 "2T'" lubes

"Mobil Extra 2T A semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil suitable for motorcycle and other 2 stroke engines including lawn mowers and high revving chainsaws. Excellent heavy duty lubricant but not suitable for marine outboard engines."
and
"Mobil 1 Racing 2T is an advanced performance, full synthetic, two-stroke engine oil developed to exceed the highest level of lubricant requirements by today's highest performance motorcycles, snowmobiles and lean oil/fuel ratio chain saws."

I wonder what that last statement really means? Does that mean if I used it at 40:1 it would be bad for the engine?

I have been using that Mobil 1 Racing 2Tand premiun fuel for about two years at 40:1 and think its great,no smoke,smells good,dont burn ya eyes and saws love it.The only thing i dont like is it has no colour so you have to make sure you mix it as soon as you get home with your fuel,or get into a habit of putting the oil in your fuel container before you get the fuel.The only place i found the oil was at a motobike shop,so i got 2 4 lt bottles at $70 each.
I use Stihl bar lube and if you have a look on the back its made by Castrol.

Cheers :)

MS260
MS441
MS660
MS880 (NEXT ONE)

I have been using that Mobil 1 Racing 2Tand premiun fuel for about two years at 40:1 and think its great,no smoke,smells good,dont burn ya eyes and saws love it.The only thing i dont like is it has no colour so you have to make sure you mix it as soon as you get home with your fuel,or get into a habit of putting the oil in your fuel container before you get the fuel.The only place i found the oil was at a motobike shop,so i got 2 4 lt bottles at $70 each.
I use Stihl bar lube and if you have a look on the back its made by Castrol.

Thanks Stihlman, as soon as I have used up all the blue stuff I still have I will have a go with the R2T. No Colour is bad - is there some kind of no effect dye you can add?

Ya its hard to see in the saw as well, ya know when ya want to stop before ya run out.I have hered that some of it has red colouring in it but the one i got didnt.

Cheers :)

MS260
MS441
MS660
MS880 (NEXT ONE)

Thanks Stihlman, as soon as I have used up all the blue stuff I still have I will have a go with the R2T. No Colour is bad - is there some kind of no effect dye you can add?

In the US farmers can buy diesel for off road tractor use without paying the federal fuel tax on it. To be able to tell if agg fuel is being used for other purposes a ed dye is added to it. If a person was found running red diesel fuel on the hwy there is a big fine. not sure what the dye is but the fuel is definately red.

Latest posts

Back