Mingo paint marker ??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper1081

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone use one of these & how do you like it? I am thinking about buying one wood like some feed back on them. One problem I have is I cut all my wood 20-24 inches long & they do not offer a wheel for that length.

I have one. ALL of my sell wood is cut to 16". My personal firewood is 18-24". I cut mine by eye.

The marker works excellent. They do sell different size wheels for them too.

A can of paint lasts forever too.

I made a mistake last year getting on someone's azz about using one. I cut by eye and have for years, but we had a hired hand last year that could never get the "eye" for it. I've read more than one post where people have said they work great. If we hire another guy who can't get the hang of it, I'll buy a Mingo marker, it would pay for itself by not taking the time to clean up 1 guy out of fives work.
We cut to order, I've had request for wood from 10' to 30", it is hard for some guys to change up, they get to used to 16" wood.

i thought they offered a wheel for 24 inch ,i have one use it on trees that are alone ,nothing parallel ,i find if i use it on a log pile and pre paint a couple logs the marks either get covered with saw chips from the log before it or you have to clean off the next log to prevent painting over loose chips . it is a good tool if you plan ahead ,and will keep your pieces within 1/2 inch of same . hope this helps jk

I've got one and I'm kinda on the fence about it. In order to get consistent marks, you need to make sure you hold it at the same angle and apply some down pressure..othewise the wheel may slip on the bark of certain species of trees. They should have made one with little pin spikes.

-Mark

I've used one for 2 years. Love it. A co-worker saw me use mine and bought one with the 6-12-24" wheel as he cuts 24" length. If the log has a crotch, start the wheel where you would normally cut the crotch and mark away from it. Oh, and keep your fingers away from the wheel as you're running it down the log. The wheel chews into skin real quick!

I started using one this year. I used to cut by eyeballing the length. While most rounds came out OK, I always ended up with some pieces that were too long for the stove and some pieces that were shorter than optimal. Since I started using the Mingo all of my rounds come out just the right length. It works great. It takes very little time to "mingo" a log. I find that I can then buck up the log faster, because I don't have to pause to consider whether I am cutting the right length. On balance it is a time saver. You say that you cut 20"-24". There is no 20" wheel, but there is a 24" wheel. If you get the 24" wheel all of your rounds will be 24". If your stove or fireplace takes 24" logs you will be set.

The Mingo Marker is a simple but brilliant invention. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

Pssst. Hand held blower. Sawdust be gone.

yes ive used a blower to clean off the chips ,but when i am cutting for a firewood delivery its all about time spent ,very time consuming to have to stop and blow off the next log . i usually bloww off the area after im done for the day , if the chips get rained on they are glued in place and even a blower has a hard time cleaning them off ,again its all about time spent for me jmho jk

Latest posts

Back