Mini skid-steers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vermeer all the way. But it is on the heavier side so i would not always haul it on a tandem landscape trailer (beet mine to hell). The Controls of the Vermeer work like a dream. The grapple, forks and a bucket is what I would get. But I like the compact size of the boxers and the retractable tracks for tight areas and getting through fence gates. Boxer also has a super small mini skid steer and it has no lack of power (And the plus is the light weight of the small boxer so no need for a big skid steer trailer). Controls decently but comfort wise I would go with the Vermeer.

attachment.php

Borrowed this from a post of Dave's at BMG.

That's a cool way to carry your mini. Don't think I'll try it with my little Bandit 65xl though.:) LOL.

Great for many things. 2000 lb plus man pulling a tree over on trax.

Dave at BMG grapple just built a 38 horse powered stump grinder attachment.

I have tried the Dingo one and not real impressed.

The Dingo has 4 pumps and I don't think others do? The factory Dingo horizontal grapple lifts higher than the BMG.

I am about to order a BMG (better at other things) for my used Bobcat MT 50 mini I just lucked into in a deal.

We will have a mini on each crew. Mine goes out pretty much every day.

You'll stop using up groundies, guaranteed.

Last edited:
Whats the Vermeer stx600 worth new? I see one in the mag for $18K, low hours, comes with Ryans grapple and bucket, wide tracks and Kubota diesel. Sound good?

Whats the Vermeer stx600 worth new? I see one in the mag for $18K, low hours, comes with Ryans grapple and bucket, wide tracks and Kubota diesel. Sound good?

That sounds good but if it is "Treetrader" mag. it has been in there for 2 issues now and you gotta wonder why they cannot sell it locally and why it hasn't sold in one issue of the mag.

I am a skeptic tho and would rather spend a little more and buy a new unit. It may be a great deal.

Narrow trax are a useful thing to have. Had mine thru a 35 inch gate and it did a days work that would have been all "hump". Also def get the diesel.

It was the one in that mag and I have seen it both times. Maybe due to the economy people are just scared to jump inot a purchase dso big. However, for those interested in a new Vermeer stx600, Vermeer northeast is running a yearend special for $16,800, brand new and comes with a loader bucket. I saw it today on a flier at the dealership buit was in too much of a rush to ask details. More to come if I can find the info.

I like the looks of Vermeers S400TX. At only 34.5" wide, 1950 lbs and lift capacity of 1430 lbs and working rate of 500lbs, this little guy can do alot of work and you can haul it in the back of your pickup.

I don't want to go this entire thread but don't remember any discussion about.

I was wondering if anyone plows snow at all with a mini? We don't get enough snow around here to warrant a truck plow hardly but I have a couple of tracked mini's and they (BMG) sells a plow (power angle I think) and I already have a huge bucket. Do they get traction on snow? I don't mind the cold at all.

I don't want to go this entire thread but don't remember any discussion about.

I was wondering if anyone plows snow at all with a mini? We don't get enough snow around here to warrant a truck plow hardly but I have a couple of tracked mini's and they (BMG) sells a plow (power angle I think) and I already have a huge bucket. Do they get traction on snow? I don't mind the cold at all.

My mt-50 works ok on snow/ice. It has new tracks on it but there just isn't enough ground pressure to give it good bite. That's good when it's on grass but bad on snow/ice. Turning is the worst thing. In a straight line, it will push some snow but, try and turn while the bucket is pushed down onto the pavement or ice and it just spins the tracks. You have to take the pressure off of the bucket first before turning.

I've wondered how a sweeper or blower would do on it but can't justify the cost of one for doing my own driveway. I really only use the bobcat when the snow is packed or if I have a plow windrow to clean up. I just use the 36" grapple bucket that I use for tree work. I need to buy a good bulk/mulch/snow bucket for it to haul stump grindings and push snow.

Thanks for reply Arborpro. I have an 03 MT 50 Bobcat that I picked up on a deal I couldn't pass up after I bought a brand new Dingo 520TX. I had noticed how traction wasn't so good on slippery surfaces and suspected it would not turn well on snow. I have a BMG on the Bobcat and the Dingo grapple on the Dingo (horizontal).

Try asking your distributor about used buckets. I bought the biggest mulch bucket for my Dingo used and got it for around $290. I think.

PS. Also I fabricated a plug in hitch plate so I can now tow my SC 630 A, my TW 5, conveyor, sprayer, and 2 trailers when the need arises. I also have a plug in LD for light stuff as the BMG had one built in for the Bobcat.

I have pushed snow (3") with the Thomas and standard bucket with ease. Maybe the tires make the difference?

Thanks for reply Arborpro. I have an 03 MT 50 Bobcat that I picked up on a deal I couldn't pass up after I bought a brand new Dingo 520TX. I had noticed how traction wasn't so good on slippery surfaces and suspected it would not turn well on snow. I have a BMG on the Bobcat and the Dingo grapple on the Dingo (horizontal).

Try asking your distributor about used buckets. I bought the biggest mulch bucket for my Dingo used and got it for around $290. I think.

Having used both the BMG and the horizontal bucket or fork-type grapple, which do you feel works best for all around cleanup and loading of debris into a truck or trailer? I've heard that the clam grapples are nice for loading chippers but I'm wondering if they are better, worse or same for loading trucks/dump trailers...

If you can't justify $15-20K for a new mini, you can build one of these with all new parts for $7K. Bigger than a mini, smaller than a bobcat. It's 48" wide so goes through most gates. Good winter project. It's 18 hp and normally wears a 48" bucket. It pickes up 500-700 lbs, depending on grapple or bucket (the bucket is heavy), articulates so it won't damage turf at all. I can do donughnuts in the lawn all day without damaging the grass a bit. One wheel can be 10" out of line with the rest. I climb over 8" logs while carrying a load all the time in the woods. No getting stuck on a log.

I've posted these before, but seems relavent in this thread.

Picture175.jpg

Picture180.jpg

Picture182.jpg

Last edited:
Having used both the BMG and the horizontal bucket or fork-type grapple, which do you feel works best for all around cleanup and loading of debris into a truck or trailer? I've heard that the clam grapples are nice for loading chippers but I'm wondering if they are better, worse or same for loading trucks/dump trailers...

The clam lifts higher (and Dave at BMG admits that) but the swivel action of the BMC is much better for running brush into the chipper while pivoting IMO.

The clam gets a better bite and is not as likely to drop a piece because there is move surface touching the piece. I had built up sides on my dumptrailer and was having probs with the dingo getting over it but when I took then off it got much easier and not much capacity was lost because of stacking.
attachment.php

If you can't justify $15-20K for a new mini, you can build one of these with all new parts for $7K. Bigger than a mini, smaller than a bobcat. It's 48" wide so goes through most gates. Good winter project. It's 18 hp and normally wears a 48" bucket. It pickes up 500-700 lbs, depending on grapple or bucket (the bucket is heavy), articulates so it won't damage turf at all. I can do donughnuts in the lawn all day without damaging the grass a bit. One wheel can be 10" out of line with the rest. I climb over 8" logs while carrying a load all the time in the woods. No getting stuck on a log.

Nice....AWD?

Latest posts

Back