Mini skid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses.
The "38 special" looks pretty cool. What is the visibility of the grinding process like for the operator? In the video, it looks like it would be difficult to see what's going on, but it I'm sure it's different when you're running it.
I'd like to know more about it when I get ready to make a move (which may be many a good tree job away).

Thanks for the responses.
The "38 special" looks pretty cool. What is the visibility of the grinding process like for the operator? In the video, it looks like it would be difficult to see what's going on, but it I'm sure it's different when you're running it.
I'd like to know more about it when I get ready to make a move (which may be many a good tree job away).

Looks like visability is zero or close to it. Also looks like they provide you with a cute little mirror so you can see the stump. lol

Also looks like they provide you with a cute little mirror so you can see the stump. lol

I noticed that too. You suppose it's rock and dust proof glass? Gave me a good chuckle. I think he's going to have to rethink the visability issue if he wants to make that a viable product in the US. I wouldn't buy one if I had to use mirrors to see what I'm doing.

I noticed that too. You suppose it's rock and dust proof glass? Gave me a good chuckle. I think he's going to have to rethink the visability issue if he wants to make that a viable product in the US. I wouldn't buy one if I had to use mirrors to see what I'm doing.

Yeah, visibility we thought was going to be a big issue from the start. We tried a mirror at first (lexan) and found it to be unnecessary.

Loaded pix of a 5’ elm stump demo I did. Start to finish 1hour 10minutes. I am in no way a stump machine operator expert. Once I started the grind I pretty much went on auto pilot pulling levers. You can see around the machine OK and better when the machine arcs to the side..

Job synopsis: ~12” deep grind, Throttle kept backing off from vibration slowing us down (easy fix), stopped to take pix, stopped to move excess mulch (common) and 1st time running it on a Gehl AL20. I believe an experienced operator, and our new revolution wheel could have shaved ~ 30 minutes off the job. Visibility on this Stump job was not an issue.

I have 5 of my previous generation machines out working with tree guys, all report a high level of satisfaction with performance, and have not relayed to me that visibility is a big issue. Stumps up agans’t a wall or grown around something .. obviously Visibility is always an issue (pause, step to the side a little?)

This has been very encouraging to me. Given my experience with the little walk alongs I think the BM “38 special brings plenty of performance and value for this HP class of Stump grinders. Not to mention its compact size and keeping your Mini more busy!

Thanks for your comments Dave

Pix Notes: At the time the decals were temporary, the bungies are there to keep the skirts from flopping on the highway

I'm looking at a Boxer, but want to know what you guys think. I want good traction, but low lawn damage. Do I go with tracks or wheels?

Looks ridiculous!

I'd try pushing around a small tow behind stumper with a mini before I went that route.
Just curious what "small tow behind stumper" would you push? Not many of those made anymore

"I must live under a rock, I have never seen a set-up like that , that machine is crazy.. "
You haven't been under a rock, there is nothing else like the 38 Special in America.

"I'm looking at a Boxer, but want to know what you guys think. I want good traction, but low lawn damage. Do I go with tracks or wheels? "
Wheels are easier on lawns then the tracks, though incrementally some may claim.

More Stumper story
When I first considered this Idea I was concerned about the machine shaking the loader arms all to hell. So I cut my old 1465 in half and ran it in my tree company for about a year (B4 I sold it). My operator liked it better, he could ride it, and the loader is faster manuvering around on a multiple stump jobs.
If you check this old Video you will see it did not rattle the old Thomas at all. This experiment gave me confidence that the machines arms could/would hold up.
http://www.intergarten.com/tnevideo/tnemovie03-bb340.wmv

My new 38HP way out performs that 1465 and costs ~5K less
The 1st pic is Austrailia's 20 HP Terminator, I was quoted 15K! to get one to the US many year ago.
Not many mid range HP stumpers out there to choose from, this may be a good choice for the tree guy going for a compact operation and keeping his Equip costs/overhead low.

Is there much of a traction difference between the two?

You know, I have not ran tracks extensively. The wheels work real well for us up here in the flatlands of MN, and I have seen Tracks slip and spin on snow and Ice. I have observed that tracks climb hills better. my 3 cents

I've used both turf tires and tracks so here's my 2 cents:

If you drive over a small log with wheels, the log may get 'hung up' between them. If you drive over brush, the same may happen.

If you drive over a small log with tracks, you don't have to worry about getting hung up but the tipping action is greater as the machine will tip back to front very quickly. If you drive over brush, the tracks will climb right up a big stack and compact it down nicely for loading onto a trailer. Done this a number of times with really gnarly stuff that doesn't want to pack down on its own.

Tracks will 'lug' up a wet lawn more than wheels but they will also float over muddy areas much better than wheels. Tracks will climb curbs easier than a small wheel will as the small wheels tend to hit the curb and spin at the face of it.

The ideal track for a mini skid would be 'turf' tracks like the green tracks on the larger asv skid steers; however, I have not been able to find such for my bobcat mini skid. My older worn-out tracks floated over grass quite nicely before they tore and forced me to put on new tracks. The new lugs are nice for traction but they do lug up a soft yard more than the old tracks did and more than turf tires do.

Good info arbor pro. Too bad no one makes interchangeable tracks/wheels.

I really find it hard to believe that no one has come out with a green turf track for mini skids yet. Unless testing of such has shown that traction is a big issue, I would think that it would be a big seller for those of use who are concerned about ripping up turf.

I have noticed that the tracks on toros seem to be a bit less agressive than those on my bobcat. The toro probably is a bit friendlier on lawns than the lugged tracks on my bobcat.

I really find it hard to believe that no one has come out with a green turf track for mini skids yet. Unless testing of such has shown that traction is a big issue, I would think that it would be a big seller for those of use who are concerned about ripping up turf.

I have noticed that the tracks on toros seem to be a bit less agressive than those on my bobcat. The toro probably is a bit friendlier on lawns than the lugged tracks on my bobcat.

Ramrod has the only slick for a mini that I have seen. It glides over the grass, but sits and spins if theres any snow. I have been unable to find the manufacturer of this track to find out if they have other sizes to fit diff minis. I have checked several after market track companys and I can get good prices on the luggers but cannot find any slicks.

Your Toro track comments are right on they are the least aggressive of any of the Mini tracks I have seen. The luggy aggressive tracks is exactly why I would not run them in my company, Turf tires were much more turf friendly, foam fillable, and cheaper to maintain.

The luggy aggressive tracks is exactly why I would not run them in my company, Turf tires were much more turf friendly, foam fillable, and cheaper to maintain.

The thing that bothered me about the turf wheels on my bobcat was that I would have such a hard time climbing curbs. Even on an angle, the wheels seemed to just spin on the face of the curb. That and I would always get debris stuck inbetween the wheels.

The tracks do rip up turf easier but I really like how you can go over/through just about anything with them.

Truly, each has its advantages and disadvantages. I don't push much snow with my mini so, if someone ever came out with slick tracks for bobcat minis, I would likely give them a try.

mini brush hog?

Has anyone ever seen a brush hog on the front of a mini? I'm just thinking of other uses for a mini and I think clearing brush in tight spaces around trees and in back yards would be really helpful. Mike

About half way down the page is a 42", I want one, but I think it's a bit on the pricey side:
http://branchmanagerattachments.com/
That log splitter looks pretty cool too, I use mine with the forks for wood and love it , we also have the bucket and I like that too .. We put it in a 24ft enclosed trailer with a 352 stumpcutter and theres just enough room..

Has anyone ever seen a brush hog on the front of a mini? I'm just thinking of other uses for a mini and I think clearing brush in tight spaces around trees and in back yards would be really helpful. Mike

The Brushwolf is a bulletproof Mini hog have owned one for over 10 years, with no Probs. I have beat a 3" tree down with it (wouldn't do it all the time), Inch and a half is its more realistic duty. Whats nice is they mulch everything so on a woods job theres no need to rake up. they are spendy listing for over 4K.

I have been working on another lower cost alternative ~~ 2.4K
Give me a call Andy when you get a breather.

Heres some old pix of my wolf in the brush

The Brushwolf is a bulletproof Mini hog have owned one for over 10 years, with no Probs. I have beat a 3" tree down with it (wouldn't do it all the time), Inch and a half is its more realistic duty. Whats nice is they mulch everything so on a woods job theres no need to rake up. they are spendy listing for over 4K.

I have been working on another lower cost alternative ~~ 2.4K
Give me a call Andy when you get a breather.

Heres some old pix of my wolf in the brush

Let me know what you come up with Dave, I might be in the market for one after the first of the year.

Latest posts

Back