Minnesota Weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got straightline 25-30 with gusts of 40mph. Not sure if still snowing, not sure how much we got. LOTS of drifts. Hope the skidloader starts tomorrow. We just in NW Iowa

yeah....it started here at noon; kids out of school at 1 pm, probably no school for them tomorrow; maybe 6 inches so far and still coming; it's pretty windy so it's likely our 650 ft. driveway will get drifted over by tomorrow morning.....sooo...heading to the shop to swap the bucket for the snowplow on the Ford 1715 and then gonna clear everything tonight as I'll likely need to do it again in the morning. I was hoping to just leave the bucket on this season but doesn't look like it now; that's ok, it only takes one beer to convert from bucket to plow.....two if the neighbor stops over :cheers:

About 6" of light powder on the ground. Supposed to go off and on until 10 am. I'm sure they will call school in "anticipation" of bad weather lol.

Hard to tell with all of the blowing but I'd guess we got about 14". Some schools running two hours late but most are on time. Roads aren't bad, at least the ones I've traveled on so far.

Snow is super light and fluffy. It will probably compact significantly once things start to settle.

We had lots of brown grass on my lawn showing before yesterday.

10-14" in South central MN with up to 40mph winds. Closed schools yesterday, 2 hr late start today. Most all roads closed yesterday afternoon till about 7am this morning due to white out conditions. Bobcat w/blower got a work out last night, this morning and still more to finish after work. Glad I picked up the blower for the bobcat last summer ;-)

Most schools were closed way before anything hit, turns out it was a good move this time....

We sent this your direction. Hope you guys in MN enjoyed it. Omaha was almost spared. I say that Kayla could have been a lot worse.

Business as usual for me. I think I'll go out and cut down a tree tomorrow, limb it, buck it, split it up, and then eat fried chicken for lunch. Why not?

The weatherman said we got 13", not sure how they measured. My lawn and field had 0-2" on. But had a 3-5' drift from garage to the the machine shed, about 40' long x 20' wide. Glad I got a 7' bucket. My old man had it worse, had the whole drive in about 3' of snow. 4 hours in the skidloader to clear it. I only spent about hour and a half on mine. Very odd storm, roads were way better than expected, the high winds just blew everything away, a few big drifts here and there, but seen a lot worse.

It was a little funny to see how intense people got to get out of the storm before it started. It started snowing at 11:15 for us and my office building was mostly empty by 1. There was a break in the snowfall by 6:00 which gave plows a chance to catch up. If snow dumped hard for 10 hours straight it could have been much worse.

In 3 weeks I leave for 5 days in Vegas and Arizona. Not that I need a vacation from this wimpy winter lol.

Sure wish we could get some of that snow up my way. West central Minnesota is still mostly brown. We haven't had a "normal" winter snow in 3 years. Two years ago we got about 2ft total. Last winter I think we had about 10". This year so far we have had maybe 12" but most of it melted or blew away. Hard to make money in the snow removal business

SW MN outside of Windom...NE wind staked it up against the garage very well. Garage door was held down so I had to hand shovel. Good thing we don't get a NE wind often here.

12647326_10153593658328445_8420934648223602694_n.jpg

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2
I guess I really lucked out compared to southern Minnesota. That really looks wicked. Our snow was wet and packed like a block of ice. Wind was ridiculous, first from the southeast and then from the north. It was the first time in 10 years that my big 2-stage snow thrower got bogged down.

On the brighter side, I got that tree felled, bucked, split, loaded, and ready to deliver. It's almost all good elm firewood, dry as a bone and barkless. I topped the load with some oak. Then I devoured fried chicken for lunch as planned. Glad I had 4-wheel drive.

We were supposed to get a "dusting" of more snow today. Turned out instead to be a couple of more inches.

We got just under an inch yesterday afternoon. I got after it with the ATV plow and we've got clean black pavement after the sun came out today.

Back