Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and staying busy. I am in a bit of a dilema. I picked up a 1999 chevy 3/4 ton and it isn't running. After getting it home i started looking into the reason for it to not start. Wondering if anyone on here knows a few things about the 5.7L vortec?

What it's doing now: turns over. Fuel pump is working and fuel is flowing. I replaced fuel filter. The engine has spark and will fire and stay running for about 10 to 15 seconds with gas being poured down the throttle body.

Gas smelt terrible. Had 1/4 tank in it when I got it. I added 5 gallons of fresh gas to the tank. Still no fire. The previous owner said it is the rotor that is bad. To me the rotor isn't bad if the engine has spark.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this truck up and running asap as it is my firewood delivery truck.

I'd be willing to give beer? For anyone who might be able to stop over and have a look at it? I'm not able to get it to a shop due to low funds. Hence the need to sell firewood.

Any Information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What is the fuel pressure? Some GM's(I don't know which ones) need a minimum of 45psi to inject fuel.
I'm not sure yet. When I installed the new fuel filter I needed to install a patch of fuel line and that was leaking when I tried starting it and I had to stop working on it for the day. My plan Is to fix the leak and rent the fuel pressure gauge and see what it says. I think it should be around 60 psi. 45 being the minimum like you say. [emoji106] [emoji106]

08c4af1d59ef8f166799560b29ba180c.jpg

Have you purged the crappy fuel from the lines?
Yeah. I'm thinking I should dump the fuel entirely and start with 100% fresh gas. What's the best way to get all of the fuel out of the tank without burning up my fuel pump?

Your problem really sounds like a fuel pump issue, which is a very common problem. They are in the tank and a little bit of a turd to get to on a rusty old truck. If you can get the bolts out of the bed it's easiest to slide the bed back and work on the tank while it's still in the truck. Like stated before, it's 45psi minimum to get those engines to start.

Yeah. I'm thinking I should dump the fuel entirely and start with 100% fresh gas. What's the best way to get all of the fuel out of the tank without burning up my fuel pump?

I sent you messages. Provided you have fuel pressure you just need to get all of the stale gas out.

Getting those tanks or beds off in MN rust conditions is a total pain. I say siphon what you can, add fresh again, purge the line up to the throttle body and give it a whirl.

As a side note to anyone with the older Chevys with single coil ignition. As the coil starts to fail it still sparks enough to show a visual spark but not enough to start the engine. This threw me for a loop two years ago when my truck died.

Your problem really sounds like a fuel pump issue, which is a very common problem. They are in the tank and a little bit of a turd to get to on a rusty old truck. If you can get the bolts out of the bed it's easiest to slide the bed back and work on the tank while it's still in the truck. Like stated before, it's 45psi minimum to get those engines to start.
Thanks for the suggestion. I know the fuel pump is pumping fuel. Really bad fuel but fuel non the less.

I sent you messages. Provided you have fuel pressure you just need to get all of the stale gas out.

Getting those tanks or beds off in MN rust conditions is a total pain. I say siphon what you can, add fresh again, purge the line up to the throttle body and give it a whirl.
Syphon is the way I'll go. Truck bed is not coming off without a torch! Haha.

Latest posts

Back