Minnesota,Wisconsin,Iowa, Dakotas GTG's thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt!

The rain stops when I have to leave so just don't let me leave lol.

I think Douglas Adams wrote about you. :D http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Rob_McKenna

Rob McKenna is an ordinary lorry driver who can never get away from rain, and he has a log-book showing that it has rained on him every day, anywhere that he has ever been, to prove it. He was described by the scientific community as a "Quasi Supernormal Incremental Precipitation Inducer."In the novel "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish", Arthur suggests that he could show the diary to someone, which Rob does, making the media deem him a 'Rain God' (something which he actually is) for the clouds want "to be near him, to love him, to cherish him and to water him". This windfall gives him a lucrative career, taking money from resorts and similar places in exchange for not going there.

Just stop at a garage sale and the guy had what was an old jonsered 80 concrete saw. At first I thought it was going to be a chainsaw. Has anyone seen one of these before? And if so, can they be turned into a chainsaw?

Just stop at a garage sale and the guy had what was an old jonsered 80 concrete saw. At first I thought it was going to be a chainsaw. Has anyone seen one of these before? And if so, can they be turned into a chainsaw?
If you throw a post over in the jonsered thread in the chainsaw stickies forum you will probably find the answer quickly.

DSCN6143.JPG DSCN6144.JPG DSCN6146.JPG

Went with a friend to cut firewood with his dad over at their grandma's this weekend down in central WI. Since the place had been logged either a year or 2 years ago, I only had the 046/460 mishmash saw as my "big" saw. On the way out to the woods we saw this with a smaller one off-camera to the left, both dead from oak wilt. So my friend and his dad wanted me to cut this down. So I first cut off the busted off stem, then climbed up on to the stump to cut off the branch coming towards you in the first picture because I didn't trust it and I wanted to check to see of there was rot in the trunk, but nothing major, only a little in the very center after cutting it down. We got it cut up except for the big stuff, saved that for later (and a bigger bar).

Other than working, mowing the yard, tending to the garden, and cutting a little wood here and there recently turning all this
14051836_277965625921553_3255673390022472315_n.jpg

into this:

14359154_292387441146038_1039556731371987948_n.jpg

14317509_292391417812307_1595029868732779955_n.jpg
It's a 1/35 scale Sherman Firefly Ic Hybrid hull in WWII British Army service. Have about 20-30 more tanks, AFVs, and misc. military vehicles, all but a few are from WWII. And 40+ 1/24-25 car models from high school. Scale modeling can get as "bad" as chainsaw collecting...but it helps pass time when it's too hot (or cold) do anything outside.

Other than working, mowing the yard, tending to the garden, and cutting a little wood here and there recently turning all this
View attachment 534440

into this:

View attachment 534441

View attachment 534442
It's a 1/35 scale Sherman Firefly Ic Hybrid hull in WWII British Army service. Have about 20-30 more tanks, AFVs, and misc. military vehicles, all but a few are from WWII. And 40+ 1/24-25 car models from high school. Scale modeling can get as "bad" as chainsaw collecting...but it helps pass time when it's too hot (or cold) do anything outside.
Looks good. Do you have a M10 Tank Destroyer model? My uncle spent most of WW2 in one of them.

Looks good. Do you have a M10 Tank Destroyer model? My uncle spent most of WW2 in one of them.

Not yet. Tamiya just came out with a new M10 Wolverine TD kit I'd like to get. Seen pictures taken by a crewman on a WWII tank destroyer who served most of the war on a M10 and took a lot of pictures not only of his time in Europe but of basic training as well. Sadly he passed away in the late 1950's. But I would like to duplicate his M10, and he also served on a M18 Hellcat and a M36 Jackson too before the end of the war in Europe. He also got some pictures of damaged/destroyed Panzer Mk IV's and a turretless Panther tank too. Had a few relatives that were in WWII and that's why I have such a great interest in it. Built a US M3A2 half-track in honor of Grandpa on dad's side, he was a crewman on a half-track in Europe, but I don't know the exact model he was on. Grandpa on mom's side was in India helping build the new Burma Road into China. As a mechanic, one of his duties was to reassemble the military Harley motorcycles from their shipping crates and test drive them before they were sent out to where they were needed. His older brother, my great uncle, was a mechanic in the Army in Europe and told me how he saw these "strange propellerless twin-engine aircraft", Me 262 jet fighters, parked along the autobahn before Germany surrendered.

Very cool.

My uncle had his M10 shot through and destroyed twice by the Germans. I think he lost crew members both times and he was wounded in the Battle of the Bulge and received a Purple Heart.

Many of the folks from the 899th Tank Destroyer battalion came from MN and WI. A lot of those guys saw action in every major battle in the European theater starting in North Africa then landed later in the day on D day through the Battle of the Bulge and into Germany.

If memory serves me correctly this fellow was in the 705th TD battalion. Grandpa on dad's side was in the Battle of the Bulge too, but he didn't say much beyond that. About the only thing he did say about it was one night they heard a bunch of noise coming from the woods outside the village they were in for the night. The GI's kept challenging to no response so the quad .50's in the back of one of the half-tracks was ordered to strafe the woods. After that, there was no noise. At daybreak, a patrol went out and found a team of horses still in their harness that had they think had broken free from a wagon somewhere.

Well that sucks about the horses but better safe than sorry!

That's true. Unfortunately he rarely, if ever, talked about the war. Sometimes if you asked him he would talk about in the right mood or he would just randomly start talking about it for a while but when he was done, that was it until the next time he wanted to talk about it and passed away in 1994. And that's all we have, nothing was written down or recorded. My dad and his family have made requests for his dad's service records but they always came back as "unavailable", they think they may have been destroyed or lost in the 70's fire at the St. Louis records storage buildings. My great uncle on mom's side talked pretty freely about is experiences in the war but nothing was written down or recorded and we don't know where his service record is either. So all we have is what he told my relatives, I'd like to try to get it all down so we don't lose what's left. However, his brother, my grandpa, had all his service records and after his brother died his oldest son sat him down in front of a video camera and started asking about his time in the CCC, his wartime experiences and other family history. I also had a uncle who married into the family who was from Canada who was in the Canadian Army in Italy in WWII, but he never told anybody or talked about it at all. It wasn't until his funeral that some of us found out about him being in the military.

Back