miserable night

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hang in there is not a good idea! hope your able to move around soon, try walking lots bud, keps he blood flowing, blood flowing speeds recovery and aids healing efforts. Walk a mile per hour! all the best from globo!:kilt:

thnx for the thoughts. this is my third shoulder surgery in 3 yrs. this rotator cuff was repaired on this one 12/27/07. i had the same thing done on the L shoulder this past May. this time i also tore the cartilage and the pain is a couple of notches higher. all three were done with the scope.
i didn't sleep a wink last night. i snoozed from 9-11 this morning, when i put the shiatsu massager on it.
the oxy-c is the same as percocet, but in a slow release form.
a $1500 recliner is worth every penny.
i have tried MSM without any results.
i have used the iceman bf with knee & ankle surgeries, but never with a shoulder.
it will be 10-12 weeks bf i begin limited use.
55, if u need the surgery, go for it. it hurts bad, and the rehab is rough, but it is worth it to not hurt at night and to use your arm w/o pain.

thnx for the thoughts. this is my third shoulder surgery in 3 yrs. this rotator cuff was repaired on this one 12/27/07. i had the same thing done on the L shoulder this past May. this time i also tore the cartilage and the pain is a couple of notches higher. all three were done with the scope.
55, if u need the surgery, go for it. it hurts bad, and the rehab is rough, but it is worth it to not hurt at night and to use your arm w/o pain.

First, consider what you are doing and change a few things; the rate you're going you'll be crippled up pretty good soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
My mother the RN was in charge of my recovery when I had mine done 10 yrs ago. Advil staggered 2 hrs later with tylenol, in unison, at the recommended intervals, worked for me, couldn't sleep but an hour or two for the first few nights. As you probably know, rehab is important. You shouldn't be carrying the 1 yr old or fixing/moving dryers around a week after your surgery like I was. Rehab guy was ecstatic I had such range of motion, but the strength is never going to be there.
+1 one the operation, I suffered for a few yrs before I submitted, and that was very stupid. Got so I couldn't sleep, and tired all the time it seemed. And it hurt besides. Now the pain is gone, and my sleeping habits (TV on, not long usually) have never recovered. Discipline is a share of it, but thats the biggest regret, not getting it fixed soon after.

55, if your cuff tear is a detechment type, the sooner you fix it, the better. that tendon shortens when it is not attached where it should be. that makes it harder for the surgeon to place it, and it reduces your strength bc of the change in the leverage.
btw, the surgeon told me that ~33% of adult males over 35 have some rotator cuff tear. most people blame it on arthritis.

Yes, the MSM doesn't work for all. Ah well, thought I'd mention it, as it does work wonders for me. Ever try Tiger Balm?

It probably shows, but I'm a firm believer in natural remedies, there is probably a cure for all of man's ailments found in nature, trouble is finding what work's for oneself.

i didn't sleep a wink last night. i snoozed from 9-11 this morning, when i put the shiatsu massager on it.
the oxy-c is the same as percocet, but in a slow release form.
a $1500 recliner is worth every penny.
i have tried MSM without any results.
i have used the iceman bf with knee & ankle surgeries, but never with a shoulder.
it will be 10-12 weeks bf i begin limited use.

Hope you heal up quick and get over the "hump" that is a pain ALOT will never know!

Good luck Neal, you been through it before so you had a idea what to expect.

If you remember I had my shoulder done almost exactly a year ago. I stayed in the recliner as well. They had me on Norco and it worked fine for about a week, then the side effects took over. Walls closing in, restlessness etc. I had to cold turky myself off them and it took a couple days. A bad couple days I might add.

Thought my surgery was a waste of time for about 6 months, but it seems today to be much better and all worthwhile now.

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery.

Good luck Neal, you been through it before so you had a idea what to expect.

If you remember I had my shoulder done almost exactly a year ago. I stayed in the recliner as well. They had me on Norco and it worked fine for about a week, then the side effects took over. Walls closing in, restlessness etc. I had to cold turky myself off them and it took a couple days. A bad couple days I might add.

Thought my surgery was a waste of time for about 6 months, but it seems today to be much better and all worthwhile now.

Best of luck to you and a speedy recovery.

yes, i remember your surgery!!!! this one was worse than the others. i hate to admit it, but i was almost in tears this morning!!! it is much better this afternoon. it is just a constant ache now, not the stabbing pain of this morning.
i agree with you about the "wasted" feeling. it took about 6 mons. to get where i thought the first one was worth it. it finally became totally pain-free about a year ago. but that one was torn for a couple of years bf i had it repaired. the L shoulder was repaired w/in a couple of months of when it starte bothering me. that was how i learned about the tendon shrinking when it detaches for an extended time. this last one has been about 4 months since i tore it, but it was not a detachment tear, it split length-wise. i also had a SLAP tear.

Last edited:
yes, i remember your surgery!!!! this one was worse than the others. i hate to admit it, but i was almost in tears this morning!!! it is much better this afternoon. it is just a constant ache now, not the stabbing pain of this morning.
i agree with you about the "wasted" feeling. it took about 6 mons. to get where i thought the first one was worth it. it finally became totally pain-free about a year ago. but that one was torn for a couple of years bf i had it repaired. the L shoulder was repaired w/in a couple of months of when it starte bothering me. that was how i learned about the tendon shrinking when it detaches for an extended time. this last one has been about 4 months since i tore it, but it was not a detachment tear, it split length-wise. i also had a SLAP tear.

That stuff don't sound very good to me, but I hope it all works out.

Like I said mine is basically pretty good now, but its never going to be perfect again. Age is starting to take its toll. :laugh:

Mine had a big bone spur rubbing the roatator cuff and had a bunch of bad cartilidge in it. Dr said some people end up haveing a total replacement later.

I hope I aint one of them. ;)

Take it easy and say hi to all the pretty girls in therapy for me.

i have some at-home PT to do: bent over, swinging the arm like a pendulum. i got out of the house today and went for a walk in the woods with my son. i am definitely feeling better. i haven't taken anything for pain since about lunch. i go back to my job driving a desk tomorrow. i hope i can make it the whole day.

I missed this thread too. I wish you a speedy recovery Neal!

Yea I missed it too. Good luck and get better bud!

Be careful with those Oxy's. I was put on those when I was younger for a knee surgery and did'nt get off pain killers for 6 years! Had a hold on me badly. Spent every dime I made on them for years. Lucky I'm alive. Painkillers are extremely addictive.

I broke my shoulder blade in a motorcycle wreck one time and my arm just hung loose for weeks. Had to grab it and set it where I wanted it to be. I could move the elbow fine, but the shoulder was just limp.

My advice would be: be aggressive with rehab. I've had surgery on both shoulders, the first time I listened to the doc and recovery was slloowww. The second time, I listened to my body instead and started moving/using my arm as soon as I felt I safely could. At five weeks I could do a pullup and at 8 weeks I was back rockclimbing. That was three years ago and I can do 1 finger pullups now, I feel better than ever. Listen to your body!

thanks for the warnings on the meds. i have plenty of experience with them. i dislocated my ankle and fractured it in 13 places, and spent three days in the hospital with a morphine drip and three months on crutches. i don't remeber how many refills of hydrocodone i went through with that episode. i have also had two previous shoulder surgeries. i am not afraid to take meds, but i only use them when needed. i am probably done with them for this surgery. i just don't have that addictive personality when it comes to them. they do give me some really neat dreams though !!

Back