Misery Whip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
So I found this 6 footer today. Got a hell of a deal on it. It's super sharp and well oiled. The wood it's tied to was made to hold the saw for storage to protect the cutters.

attachment.php

Anybody else have any of these? Or maybe some old fallin' axes? I've got 3 old fallin' axes as well.

Gary

Thats neat Gary, a friend of mine has a single handled saw. He says it was designed for hardwood. . .

There is a guy here in town that has a few for sale,(he owns a trading post)
but he wants wayyyyyy too much..

how bout some close ups?

I bought on similar to that years ago in like new unused condition at a flea market for $15. It had never even been sharpened and set. I hung it up at my dads sawmill in Alabama and it has been hanging there rusting ever since.

i got a 7footer that i cleaned up i will try to snap some pics

i have a 6ft double and a double bitted ax that my grandpa used for logging he died of black lung at the age 85 and that was 20 yrs ago. id say he fell some very big eastern hard woods back in those days. we whine about wanting faster and lighter saws and they used hand tools.lol

I have one; 2 meters long. used it two years ago. we call it "the beast"
fun for a while but it knows how to wear you out.

There is a guy here in town that has a few for sale,(he owns a trading post)
but he wants wayyyyyy too much..

That seems to be going around...I would love to have one of those saws but everyone seems to think they are made of sold gold.:laugh:

actually mine is very old and in a perfect condition, sharpened once or twice and the metal is like I haven`t seen today. very strong.

I'v shopped at the Packwood fleece market for one. The price is $75 to $100 always and they usually don't have handles. Since I don't know what to look for, I go away empty handed.

I have this stupid idea of finding another not too smart person and roaming around in the wilderness cutting out trails. But my friends are smarter than me.

I don't know how to sharpen them either. When they are sharp, they work well.

I'v shopped at the Packwood fleece market for one. The price is $75 to $100 always and they usually don't have handles. Since I don't know what to look for, I go away empty handed.

I have this stupid idea of finding another not too smart person and roaming around in the wilderness cutting out trails. But my friends are smarter than me.

I don't know how to sharpen them either. When they are sharp, they work well.

Could of got that set at packwood for a little over the price of the single ones. Yup people have really jacked up the price on those.

This was in an antique store. A buddy of mine was lookin' for something for his wife and he saw this saw on the wall. He called me up and told me about it. I was there in a flash.

The kid wanted some more pics... so here they are. One of a handle, and a couple of the teeth. They are sharp as is. If they were filed they'd be REALLY sharp... :laugh:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My Dad has two 6 footers and one 8 footer. All have handles in good shape. Pretty cool stuff.

Gary

So when you gonna put it in some wood, bet it would polish up in no time.

Had Mine Out

At the PNW GTG......But it got more looks than action!.....:D
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kinda went the way of the climbing tree!........:cheers:
One of those things Nice To Have but Hell To Use..........Bob

here's my collection, the smaller one on the bottom was bought by my uncle in 1932 to cut firewood for the cook stove.

Whats 'scythe?'
Pretty sure the stuff is all for setting the teeth .
Maybe we have so one on here who knows more.
Bob

I don't make any claims on being an expert, but if I had to guess I'd say the two on the top are jointers or strippers (both terms refer to the same tool)and the ones on the bottom are spiders. The former are used in conjunction with a flat file to even out the heights of the teeth on an unevenly worn saw before sharpening. The latter are used on worksaws to roughly gauge the set of the teeth -approx. 0.012"-0.015" for hardwoods and 0.020" in softwoods. In the case of a racing saw one would use a micrometer to set the teeth as they are more accurate.

This is a great thread. Those who posted pics. have some really nice saws. Thank you for sharing them.

Back