Missed calls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfield

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys do about missed calls, when they leave no voicemail? Ive been getting a ton lately. In the past Ive called the numbers back, saying who I am anf could I help them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont, I always feel wierd tho. Im booked out a couple weeks so Im not desperate for work, but I hate to let potential work slip through my fingers. So what do you guys do? I guess the easy answer is call back, but half the time its some yahoo looking for a job or a charity looking for $. I dunno.

How are you missing all those call's? That is a problem.
If you don't answer, they are off to the next tree service number. You need to find a way to eliminate or reduce your missed call's.
Dang,,
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

How are you missing all those call's? That is a problem.
If you don't answer, they are off to the next tree service number. You need to find a way to eliminate or reduce your missed call's.
Dang,,
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

Im working

Can't get them all and if you did, you'd be out chasing the calls and giving estimates instead of working, making the money you estimated!:dizzy:
If they really want you, they'll call back. May want to dedicate a time to call them back and add that to your message. At least that way they know they will receive a call back on a certain date if they can wait.

Speaking of which ......

Ah! You have identified the problem.
So, the question now is,,,"How do I avoid missed call's when I can not answer my phone because I am working."
Jeff

Any suggestions? Im a small company, myself and 2 other guys. I work all day, 5, sometimes 6 days a week. I check my phone on breaks, And respond to messages accordingly. I think Im like most guys on here, my office... Is in my house. Im not paying some yahoo to sit down there and jump on the 3-5 calls I get everyday. When I said Im missing calls im talking maybe 4 a week. Which could potentially be alot of work for me. I kinda feel like what capetrees said, if they want me they'll call back. My area is flooded w/ hacks, hacks dont last long. I guess Ill be there next time when there hack is out of bizz.

Good prices, good work, word of mouth and a little time will have people calling you back to get an estimate. I've had people call back multiple times but like you, I'm on the go all the time and usually it's Sunday or Saturday night when I find time to make a house call for an estimate. It's not easy.

If the economy is hard, everybody with a chainsaw and a pickup is out there working the market. The only way to cut down on the hack supply is to have a good economy and a tight market for tree work...then the hacks find something else to do. Otherwise, get used to 'em.

I had a guy come into my office today, trying to get me to drop all my business and go cut down a 60 silver maple. It was out of reach for his 30' ladder, and he HAD to get it done today. After explaining that I didn't have time to do it, I referred him to another climber who eventually came out and did the job in 40 minutes for $150 (I told him what to charge).

Somewhat over two houses and some utility lines, they never used a rope to lower anything. The guy came back by my office later to get the rented MS170 sharpened, since it was his only saw. $45 rental, $10 saw sharpening, $150 climber rental, and $450 revenue from cutting down the tree.

Hack was a happy camper.

Oh! Just one thing...I never got my $10, and the climber hasn't seen his $150 yet, either. We'll see how that turns out.

Good prices, good work, word of mouth and a little time will have people calling you back to get an estimate. I've had people call back multiple times but like you, I'm on the go all the time and usually it's Sunday or Saturday night when I find time to make a house call for an estimate. It's not easy.

Exactly

What does your voicemail say? If I were looking for a tree service I'd rather hear "hi, you've reached HuskStihl's hack tree service, if you are hearing this message I'm up in a tree right now. I value your business and will return your call as soon as I can" than "you've reached 867-5309 please leave a message. People will base their perception of your professionalism on very small things, sometimes

If the economy is hard, everybody with a chainsaw and a pickup is out there working the market. The only way to cut down on the hack supply is to have a good economy and a tight market for tree work...then the hacks find something else to do. Otherwise, get used to 'em.

I had a guy come into my office today, trying to get me to drop all my business and go cut down a 60 silver maple. It was out of reach for his 30' ladder, and he HAD to get it done today. After explaining that I didn't have time to do it, I referred him to another climber who eventually came out and did the job in 40 minutes for $150 (I told him what to charge).

Somewhat over two houses and some utility lines, they never used a rope to lower anything. The guy came back by my office later to get the rented MS170 sharpened, since it was his only saw. $45 rental, $10 saw sharpening, $150 climber rental, and $450 revenue from cutting down the tree.

Hack was a happy camper.

Oh! Just one thing...I never got my $10, and the climber hasn't seen his $150 yet, either. We'll see how that turns out.

I dont help hacks! Unless maybe it was a situation where somebody was gonna get hurt. I have a friend whos a contract climber and another friend who has his own tree company. We help eachother out from time to time. But... We all do these bu the book, insurances, isa certs,workers comp. Ill never help sumone who thinks the rules dont apply to them. Ive worked my ass of to get where Im at. Hacks come and go like storms.

What does your voicemail say? If I were looking for a tree service I'd rather hear "hi, you've reached HuskStihl's hack tree service, if you are hearing this message I'm up in a tree right now. I value your business and will return your call as soon as I can" than "you've reached 867-5309 please leave a message. People will base their perception of your professionalism on very small things, sometimes

My voice mail is prett basic " hi you've reached Canfield Tree Service we cant come to the phone right now but if you leave your name,number and a brief message we'll return your call as soon as possible' . Pretty simple

My voice mail is prett basic " hi you've reached Canfield Tree Service we cant come to the phone right now but if you leave your name,number and a brief message we'll return your call as soon as possible' . Pretty simple

Sounds good to me, that's exactly what my voice message says. If they want your business they will leave a message. If not then you probably don't want theirs.

I miss calls all day long because I am climbing or in the bucket and my phone is in the truck where it belongs! I do check it at break and lunch to make sure its not an emergency call. I'd say 95% of people that call leave a message. Set a friendly greeting on your voice mail. Mine says " hello you have reached (name) at (name) tree service, I am unavailable to take your call right now so please leave a detailed message and I will get back to you as soon as possible, thanks and have a great day!" I see 2 sometimes 3 calls from the same number but no message. If they can't be bothered to leave a message I can't be bothered to call them back. Those type of people usually want me there NOW or want a ball park quote over the phone! If I jump in the truck to move it on a job or am in the cab to grab a drink and my phone rings I usually let it ring cause I am in the middle of a job and its always someone that wants to talk about their trees for hours!! I call everyone back as soon as the trucks are parked for the day and the guys are gone home.

Call them back, it's just good business. If they still have work great, if they called somebody else, oh well.

They don't want his Biz, they want someone Now!
Answer the phone or pay someone to.
Jeff:msp_wink:

that's easy for you to say mr. salesman arborist I sit on my ass all day. :msp_rolleyes:

I can't be bothered on the job to answer my phone every time it rings. Sure I may miss a call a once in a while but that's the cost of being a small business. At the end of the day I call everyone back who leaves a message. I find the people who don't leave messages are impatient and have a want it now attitude.

that's easy for you to say mr. salesman arborist I sit on my ass all day. :msp_rolleyes:

I can't be bothered on the job to answer my phone every time it rings. Sure I may miss a call a once in a while but that's the cost of being a small business. At the end of the day I call everyone back who leaves a message. I find the people who don't leave messages are impatient and have a want it now attitude.

Don't be ignorant,,:tongue2:
Jeff

Latest posts

Back