Missed opportunity, Husqvarna 262xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stateline Sawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday I missed out on the opportunity to pick up a 262xp locally, looked clean from photos. $200 bucks! Alas, I was at home while my kids where with me remote learning at school. I would never drag my kids along on a craigslist type of meeting. But I can't help feeling sick to my stomach about it! Someone got a great deal! I have a 257, so when it pukes, if ever, I guess it'll become a mock 262!

Nothing wrong with a 257. It pulls a 20" bar and chain rather nicely. I cannot recall ever having trouble with mine, and it's got hundreds of hours on it during the past five years. However, I must admit that $200 for a good-running 262xp was a steal.

Nothing wrong with a 257. It pulls a 20" bar and chain rather nicely. I cannot recall ever having trouble with mine, and it's got hundreds of hours on it during the past five years. However, I must admit that $200 for a good-running 262xp was a steal.
Right! Timing is everything and I love my 257, my first saw! Still a great runner from '96. Found it at the end of a drive way on my commute to work one morning some 20 years ago, asked the owner if I could have it, said it was reported to be straight gassed by dealer...it had the wrong plug and just needed a tune. It has cut much wood to in those 20 years!

Right! Timing is everything and I love my 257, my first saw! Still a great runner from '96. Found it at the end of a drive way on my commute to work one morning some 20 years ago, asked the owner if I could have it, said it was reported to be straight gassed by dealer...it had the wrong plug and just needed a tune. It has cut much wood to in those 20 years!
257 could be a 262 one day!

I would really worry about a dealer who could not tell the difference between a straight gassed engine and a bad spark plug or a carb out of tune. That saw was close to $500 new. I worked on a 262 last summer that needed a tune up and a couple of muffler bolts. That saw runs well today. Tomorrow I may haul my 257 to a drop site and give it a whirl. Three weeks ago we were all frozen up. I had almost forgotten what nice weather was all about.

I would really worry about a dealer who could not tell the difference between a straight gassed engine and a bad spark plug or a carb out of tune. That saw was close to $500 new. I worked on a 262 last summer that needed a tune up and a couple of muffler bolts. That saw runs well today. Tomorrow I may haul my 257 to a drop site and give it a whirl. Three weeks ago we were all frozen up. I had almost forgotten what nice weather was all about.
The dealer probably didn't look at it that close and was hoping to just sell him another, that's my guess! That's why I do my own work for the most part. I'm assured a piston is smoked when I pull off the muffler and put my eye balls on it. I'm also assured the oil pan drain bolt is tight and the correct amount of oil is used during oil change in my vehicles when I do that s**t myself! Lol

Isn't a 257 just a 262 with a dished, low-compression piston? Or is that a 259? (or 261? geez it's been too long) Piston is a direct swap.
I believe you are correct. I know a 257 has the potential to be a 262 if you throw some parts at it. But if it ain't broke, I don't fix 'em! Lol.

I ran my 257 today cutting some big ash. Once again, it refused to let me down. The fellow I worked with used up two tanks of fuel to my one and we cut about the same number of logs, all ready to split. He was running a Stihl 036.

I ran my 257 today cutting some big ash. Once again, it refused to let me down. The fellow I worked with used up two tanks of fuel to my one and we cut about the same number of logs, all ready to split. He was running a Stihl 036.
Yep, love the 257! I recently got a 55 Rancher and it had the outer bucking spike. That outer spike now lives on the 257 w/20" bar. Lol

I must admit that I was unaware that a 55 Rancher outer bucking spike would fit the 257. Shame on me because there are times when that outer spike makes sense, especially when noodle cutting big rounds as I did today, just to make them light enough to load onto the truck. My Husky 61 has an outer spike, but frankly, my 257 will run right with it and weighs a pound or so less.

I must admit that I was unaware that a 55 Rancher outer bucking spike would fit the 257. Shame on me because there are times when that outer spike makes sense, especially when noodle cutting big rounds as I did today, just to make them light enough to load onto the truck. My Husky 61 has an outer spike, but frankly, my 257 will run right with it and weighs a pound or so less.
Sure will if you can find 'em!
I refreshed my Dad's old white top 61 last spring with new crank seals, fuel line carb cleaning and gaskets, plastic chain guides, tank vent, coil, plug, open up exhaust outlet a bit and tuned. My old man ran it and said something like this saw rips now. Lol. He mainly uses his little Echos now, but has a Echo 590 which is wicked now too. I've opened up all his Echo mufflers and retuned them. Must unpleasant to run straight out of the box

Back