Missing a few boys tonite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for checkin' in on us Jeff!!!

Wind blew HARD last night. Lost power around 11pm, and then woke up this morning and had it back on. Lots more trees down ($$$$$$$!!!)

I have already had calls this morning to remove trees.:rock:

Gary

Thanks for checkin' in on us Jeff!!!

Wind blew HARD last night. Lost power around 11pm, and then woke up this morning and had it back on. Lots more trees down ($$$$$$$!!!)

I have already had calls this morning to remove trees.:rock:

Gary

Nothin' here. Not even branches....at least from what I've seen so far.

lake you were doing so well and then you almost lost it on the last cut, glad to hear it was only the saw and not the sawyer that went 5 feet, were you standing in the tree or on the ground?

I was on the ground.... Every time I look at the log I thanks someone for looking out of me.. Tomorrow I'm going to pull rest of the the big sob over with my truck (Hmmm... I still have to be the one to cut it though).... before it falls on my neighbors barn. 150 feet of rope, snatch block to change direction - already rigged. Given the wind last night I was really surprised to see it still standing, but the crack is now down into the base section...

We lost power here around 4am Saturday morning and just got it back on today around 2 pm. That's the second time this week. The first time was early Tuesday morning and power was back on am Wednesday. Made for a wild week.

Did get to cut up a friend's 100ft+ fir tree at one his rental homes. The tree was rotten at the root ball so it didn't take much for the wind to blow it over. It landed on the tentant's cube van and planted the tires in the ground up to the axles, and mashed the hood in down to the engine as well as breaking the front windshield.

Tis the season...to go out on the front porch and listen to the aggressive roars of chainsaws and generators...awe the thrill of it all.

I'm just west of Olympia and the winds really got with the program on this last storm too. We lost power just before 11pm, but it was only out for a couple of hours. When it went out, I had visions of the christmas storm and no power for days. Sunday I was out bucking logs from the christmas storm and realized several more went over in this last storm. Nothing big, but it will give me a day or two of sawing on the mill.

Oh, and to keep this chainsaw related, never ever ever loan out a practically new MS440 to someone that doesn't saw much!!! I went out to get my saw after the christmas storm and found out the person that used it didn't put the oil cap back on right. It was hanging by the string and was covered in sawdust and the bar and chain wasn't looking to good :angry: I wonder how long he ran the saw with out bar oil?

If anyone has some nice larger diameter fir, cedar or pine from the storm you want to part with, I'm looking for some to saw up for our new home. Most of the logs I get on the coast here have pretty wide grain and not the tighter grain that stains nicely. My wife and I prefer the wood over drywall and want to use as much as possible on the interior of the house. I'm after 8' to 11' or multilples, so I'm not after the longer stuff like a lot of mills are buying. I don't mind traveling for it and have a dump truck and equipment trailer I can haul with. Drop me a PM if you have anything you want to part with and what you want for it. Thanks.

Our lights flickered some more, but power hung in there. Like I said before, having just lost power for over 9 days (and already behind schedule), when the wind blows and the lights flicker I get a bit nervous now.

I chase fir myself for my work, although 99 percent ends up heating my home.

Here's something I finished this weekend and just sent out to a show. Douglas fir, the closed bowl is about 10 inches diameter and the open bowl about 15 inches long. Tough stuff to work, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it....

Last edited:
Here we go again

Here we go again, might get a little interesting up here in the PNW. Gas71 and fishhunt will probably get the brunt of this one again. Stay tuned

Rotax

Yup

Here we go again, might get a little interesting up here in the PNW. Gas71 and fishhunt will probably get the brunt of this one again. Stay tuned

Rotax

Got 40 mph winds right now... this is gettin' really old.

More trees will be down for sure... no power for me right now at the house. Runnin' the generator right now. Supposed to get down into the teens tonight and tomorrow as well.

Gary

I just got back from Olympia and there's a lot of trees down in the black hills from the previous two storms. The winds are starting to pick up here in Elma and I've got three saws in the truck just in case. I'm sitting here watching the news as I type and they're talking winds up to 50 and rain/snow tonight:eek: Now they just said single digits by the end of the week in some areas:dizzy: I wonder if mother nature is trying to tell us something?

nothin here in Enumclaw yet, but it is changing fast. Got everything set up and taking a couple of saws to work with me tonite. See you in a bit.

Rotax

Never heard of that before.....:confused:

....I would be very interested to hear why the wood are in the freezer, and what you are going to use the wood for.....:confused:

Primarily I am a woodturner. Most of the wood I work I need to first work it fresh. Freezing is a way to put it in hibernation until I can get to it. Just like food.

I also boil wood and do all kinds of techniques to be able to work specific woods successfully.

To see some pics of what I do you can go to my website- listed in my profile. I don't put the link in a posting because it may be against some rules.

Bill

It really was silly of me to ask. I should know better :monkey: , as my brother do the same as you, woodturning. He told me the whole procedure last sunday, when I asked him about it.

Thank you anyway, for answering. :heart:

I have looked at your web-site, really nice products! ;) :)

Last edited:
Another Pacific Northwest Windstorm Possible Tonight

Just noticed that the National Weather Service issued a wind advisory for most of the PNW. By the sounds of it, the intensity will not be anywhere close to the last "big one" but still enough to cause some trouble. Everyone stay safe tonight! :cheers:

Wind is starting to howl here, and the ground is pretty saturated.

What's up with the weather here lately? :dizzy: Hopefully the crews did a good job when they replaced a whole lot of the wire around here last time around.

Just had two power hits, the cable tv went out and I heard a BIG tree come down somewhere near by.... and sirens... I just can't get ahead...

Snow tonight, then arctic air decends...

Getting it here too now, Not near what you are though Lake, few power bumps makes tough to keep machines up and running ( cnc lathes/mills )
Bring it on though, I'm ready

Rotax

Had to deal with power outage at trafficlights in mapel valley backed up traffic for miles. Fortunately know how to get around it. Lot of limbs in the road and yard. Ravensdale selleck area.

Latest posts

Back