Mitts and Merrill chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sisco

sisco

ArboristSite Lurker
One of my old tree buddies got sick and past away last july and I got his Mitts and Merrill chipper. He had alway doctored it up. I know he replaced the motor because the original was blown up. However he replaced it with a 4 cylinder Continental engine and it seems underpowered. I think this is a mid 70s to early 80s machine. It has a large drum and several staggered blades and actually chips like a self feeder. I dont have much experience with the M&M machine. Were the decent? If they were Id like to find a used 6cy ford engine/clutch assy to put this back right. Or if the bell housing for this continental would accept a different motor or an adapter to make it fit. Something. Any ideas?

ROPECLIMBER

ROPECLIMBER

ArboristSite Operative
San Antonio with seasonal work in Carbondale Color
A buddy of mine runs an old '72 M&M it has a 300 ford industrial 6 and a auto matic style PTO, he likes it and the staggered knives seem to take the brush in a little slower allowing for longer limbs, but even with the 300 6 cyl it is still a brush chipper, can take short 3ft sections of 5-6" stuff but like my 1600 it is designed for trim crews so not sure that the bigger eng will get the bang you want, sharp knives are a must, HP wont make up for dull knives, all the chunk and duck type chippers are made for fast intake of small brush and they will do that fast,
Paul

allamerican

allamerican

ArboristSite Lurker
Old post I know. But I have what I believe is a mitts and merrill chipper. It has the ford 300 motor on it, adjustable chute. Im trying to find knives for it. The knive measure 11-7/8ths. I only measured the length of them. There are 4 of them. The chipper is from 70-to maybe very early 80s. What Im asking is does your chipper have four 11-7/8ths long knives? And where can I get them? Thanks

lostcoastland

lostcoastland

ArboristSite Operative
Yes, i would like to know about the ALLEN KEY size AND where to get new bolts.........3 years later..I'm sure it can be woken up again as these are great chippers... I have heard Karl Kummerling is the main supplier...I'm about to look them up. I need new allen bolts as i have a whole bunch that are stripped. maybe someone knows another place to get em or the size and a supplier. I would like to have them in advance so minimal down time with the chipper...i'm gonna have to weld bolts onto the stripped out heads to get em out...