Mix and match- double ended milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have some odd logs that I want to mill into slabs. I've done ripping with my O66 free hand and it works OK. Same with my 371XP

Is there a reason not to put an O66 on one end and my 371 XP on the other? Of course, I would match up sprockets and get some ripping chain to match.

What ripping chain? Narrow kerf?

When using a double ended bar, do you have to match power heads?

How long a bar would I be able to use with this setup? The wood could be anything from old white oak to spruce.

Tom

it doesn't matter if both saws have the same hp or max rpm, this lesson is learned from tractor pulling where many different engines a linked on the same tractor. Any addition hp helps move the load. If you and Arnold Shwarzenegger (sp?) were pushing the same car he would feel it if you stopped and vice-versa. There was a drag car in the 50's called the "Bustle Bomb" it had a v-8 and a i-6 both with stick trannys, one engine was held to the pin in high gear while the other was shifter through the gears, the car was faster than ANYONE thought it be.

Position the larger saw, (more HP) on the front pulling side of the cut, the second head, is used mostly to pull the chain through the back of the cut and overcome bar friction. It's a smaller % of the second heads power gets transfered along the chain to the cuting area.

whats ripping chain

Tom, ripping chain is filed at a 10 degree (or less) angle vs 30 or 35 degree for crosscut chain. Some are narrow kerf but I think its the top plate angle that determines it. I run stihl 63PMX on my mill. Its a picco chain that is a specialty item from Logosol, the mill manufacturer. Its the same as 63PM1 except its filed at 10 degrees. Have fun!

Sap

Sapwood, how do you find that Pico chain, any problems with breakage? What are you using for a powerehead?

TW

Twolf, Check their web site http://www.logosol.com

Broke one and they won't sell me any links to put it back together. I'll save it for parts! This is 3/8 .050 chain and has a 1/4 inch kerf. Pretty dainty chain...run on an 066. I did have Jeff Sikkema get me some .404 to run on an 088. Big, heavy chain and boy the powerhead gets hot. I only use that for the squaring cuts. Has a bigger kerf. I really like the cut that comes off the picco 066. Can't buy it in bulk, only by the loop. 16", 20" and 25" loops available.

Sap

Latest posts

Back