Modded my splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A few years back I traded a couple of chevy truck axles for this splitter. It had no motor or pump, but the price was right. I had the 10hp briggs already, so I went with a 16gpm barnes 2 stage pump. This past spring after busting my hump bulling 30" plus 2ft lengths of oak and maple up on it to split, it was time to fab up a lift. A couple of days later here's where I'm at..... Log lift installed and built a 4 way. After blasting thru a 3 full cord pile of logs in 3hrs(hard maple and oak 24-38" at the butt) I found the work smarter not harder theory is true! Next step is to get a table on the back and some paint on her. Thinkin down the road more hp and bigger pump, but it does a great job the way it is so far.

0113081334b.jpg

DSCF0004-12.jpg

DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0009-3.jpg

DSCF0006-7.jpg

that muffler sure must quiet things down. nice feature.

the log lift.....something i'm going to work on myself.

nice!!

show a picture how you attached the muffler.

Last edited:
I like the muffler as well, is it actually hooked up though? It was hard to tell in the pic. I was thinking of doing something similar when I build my log splitter using an 8hp briggs that is old (1974) and loud as all get out with it's current muffler.

The cylinder for the lift is a 2x8x1 it was around $59 from Burden sales.

The muffler deal was kinda spur of the moment idea(Yeah it's hooked up), but worked out ok. Real quiet and it also doubles as a glove dryer/hand warmer too! :D

Last edited:
-----BLAZIN-- it looks like it was a LaFont SS500-- originally had a 24hp onan (or kohler).. powerful, sturdily built machine ---only "flaw" (for me) was a poorly designed 5 way wedge that I ordered mine with. Repeatedly tore lower fins off wedge due to clearance issues.
-- Ultimately replaced it with Timberwolf TW3HD tractor mount-- love it!
-- You should be fine with the 4 way you built---Great work BTW!

--Best wishes-- Woodrat

-----BLAZIN-- it looks like it was a LaFont SS500-- originally had a 24hp onan (or kohler).. powerful, sturdily built machine ---only "flaw" (for me) was a poorly designed 5 way wedge that I ordered mine with. Repeatedly tore lower fins off wedge due to clearance issues.
-- Ultimately replaced it with Timberwolf TW3HD tractor mount-- love it!
-- You should be fine with the 4 way you built---Great work BTW!

--Best wishes-- Woodrat

Yeah it defintely is a LaFont. I've been looking for some info on them just to see what it originally looked like and had for options, but apparently they have been out of business for awhile. It for sure is a sturdy unit! It must be close to a ton! LOL!

Thanks Guys! I have about $800 total in this beast as of now. I love to tinker and it's still way better than spending a couple of gees on something I'd kill in a season!:cheers:

Intresting splittar

A few years back I traded a couple of chevy truck axles for this splitter. It had no motor or pump, but the price was right. I had the 10hp briggs already, so I went with a 16gpm barnes 2 stage pump. This past spring after busting my hump bulling 30" plus 2ft lengths of oak and maple up on it to split, it was time to fab up a lift. A couple of days later here's where I'm at..... Log lift installed and built a 4 way. After blasting thru a 3 full cord pile of logs in 3hrs(hard maple and oak 24-38" at the butt) I found the work smarter not harder theory is true! Next step is to get a table on the back and some paint on her. Thinkin down the road more hp and bigger pump, but it does a great job the way it is so far.

0113081334b.jpg

DSCF0004-12.jpg

DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0009-3.jpg

DSCF0006-7.jpg

Have you had any problems with the bolt on wedge?, bolts coming loose?, It looks like you trinmed down the wedge, and added a new verticle, when you added the wings, was that for preserving the opening?,. The most unusal thing is the height of the pusher shoe plate, Is the shoe still tight on the beam?, does it ever bind?, What size rounds, normaly, Thanks, T,C, E,J,

--BLAZIN-- Don't hold your breath, but from time to time the information on that splitter surfaces ( I never throw anything away). At the very least, I know I have some pix of what it originally looked like-- if any of this stuff surfaces again, I'll find a way to get it to you.
-- The original setup had a 24 0r 30 gpm pump I think-- direct coupled to the motor--. Did you take the original cradles off?? I had to reweld mine several times-- the machine was quite capable of tearing itself apart if you weren't paying attention (which I seldom was)--more interested in production, I guess. Original auto-cycle valve was (I think) a Gresen- best made one of its type I've come across.
--- The machine was a real "BEAST" & built like a tank-----You're inspiring me-I might just buy it back from my brother in law and resurrect it! (with the addition of a log lift of course)

--Best wishes-Woodrat

Have you had any problems with the bolt on wedge?, bolts coming loose?, It looks like you trinmed down the wedge, and added a new verticle, when you added the wings, was that for preserving the opening?,. The most unusal thing is the height of the pusher shoe plate, Is the shoe still tight on the beam?, does it ever bind?, What size rounds, normaly, Thanks, T,C, E,J,

I've put probably 60 full cords thru the splitter with the single wedge and never had any issues with the bolts on wedge. I did'nt trim down the original wedge, the 4 way is removable and form fits the original. The wedge and pusher is around 18" in height, I usually only split 16" dia or bigger depending on the type of wood/weight and the 4 way will only see 24" dia or bigger. The pusher shoe is reasonably tight on the beam for the amount of wood this splitter has seen in it's life and I have never had a binding problem..

Did you take the original cradles off?? I had to reweld mine several times--
--Best wishes-Woodrat

I took the original cradles off to accomodate the log lift and they had'nt been welded. If you look at the foot of the lift, they're still part of the splitter:D . Solid 1/2" plate! there isn't anything light on this monster.

That would be great if you could dig up some pics of a original/unaltered one!

La Font SS500

I have one of these units that I just cleaned up this last winter. It is in pretty much the original condition except for the plate that I put on past and alont side the splitter head. It allows you to split the wood without it falling to the ground if the pieces are too large and need to be split again.

I am interested in determing the actual pump GPM and PSI rating? I met a fellow who also has one of these units and wants me to work on it for him. Someone installed about an 8 horsepower motor and a small two stage pump that he indicates doesn't do the job. I'm looking for a Kohler engine (from what I can find out it came equipped with a 20 horsepower Kohler) and then trying to determine the correct pump size. The ram is very large and requires a large volume of fluid to make it work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. I will try and attach some pictures of the before restoration.

John HView attachment 197156

I have one of these units that I just cleaned up this last winter. It is in pretty much the original condition except for the plate that I put on past and alont side the splitter head. It allows you to split the wood without it falling to the ground if the pieces are too large and need to be split again.

I am interested in determing the actual pump GPM and PSI rating? I met a fellow who also has one of these units and wants me to work on it for him. Someone installed about an 8 horsepower motor and a small two stage pump that he indicates doesn't do the job. I'm looking for a Kohler engine (from what I can find out it came equipped with a 20 horsepower Kohler) and then trying to determine the correct pump size. The ram is very large and requires a large volume of fluid to make it work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. I will try and attach some pictures of the before restoration.

John HView attachment 197156

Mine does the job fine with a 10hp and 16gpm pump, from what I've found out also they did have a 20hp kohler/onan and I'm assuming a pump around 28gpm @ 3000psi. I've been hesitant to jump up to the bigger motor and pump since the fuel economy on my current setup is extremely good. Here's a pic I stumbled across while searching for lafont splitters..

attachment.php

Last edited:
Blazin - Thank You

Mine has the original motor, a Kohler K-532 which is rated at 20 horsepower, along with the pump which is the question mark. I had heard that it was around 28 GPM but never knew the pressure and was thinking about installing a gauge to determine what it was. I keep reading that if you have a two-stage pump the GPM would not have to be that great or as much??? I don't know what size pump you would need if a two-stage unit was installed? Dalton has a range of two stage pumps up to 28 GPM.

Your machine looks good - one question: Did you weld plates on to hold the cradle up? I always thought that the cradle to adjust the log up or down was kind of a waste but I maintained it on my unit and just put heavier springs in to keep the logs in a raised position.

Thanks for the information,

John H

Back