Modding an Old, Much Used Stihl 028 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyCliff

LOVE WOOD!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like some input on how to take on the light modding of my older, very much used 028 Super. Been reading on this site and been advised to post a new thread with this specific question.

Was advised to start with the muffler, and that sounds like good advice to me. You have to assume that I Basically know nothing on muffler changes.

TIA,

Cliff

6ffd72787d2a030ff3e43606f9b5a959.jpg

5/8 tube. I cut a hole in where original fins are.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just drilled through the three vertical holes same size as factory front nearest the bar and it woke mine up and didn't make it much louder.

Hi all,

I would like some input on how to take on the light modding of my older, very much used 028. Been reading on this site and been advised to post a new thread with this specific question.

Was advised to start with the muffler, and that sounds like good advice to me. You have to assume that I Basically know nothing on muffler changes.

TIA,

Cliff
It would be of great help if you could post a pic of the muffler on your saw, as there are a few different muffler designs used on 028's.

The idea behind a muffler modification is to increase air flow. The first step in doing this is to remove the spark arrestor/catalytic converter. Check your local laws before removing the spark arrestor, as it's against the law in some parts of the world to operate a chainsaw without one.

After the spark arrestor and baffle are removed, reinstall the muffler, and retune the carburetor. If you are not happy with the saw's performance, you will have to increase the size of the opening on your muffler. Depending upon what style muffler your saw has, this can be done with something like a Dremel tool.

If you want to get fancy with your muffler mod, you can add either a second opening to the muffler, or add a short pipe to the current one. (Or both.)

Be careful not to over-mod the muffler, if you do, the saw will be way to loud to operate comfortably. I've read on this site that the surface area of muffler opening(s) should be about 85%-90% of the surface area of the exhaust port on your saw's engine. This will provide maximum performance while keeping the noise relatively low.

One way to measure the area of the engine exhaust port is with spaghetti, make sure the piston is at top-dead-center, and put spaghetti lengthways into the exhaust port until no more will fit. Count the noodles, subtract 10% and mod the muffler until the 90% of spaghetti will fit into the opening(s) of the muffler.

Hope this helps!

A nice way to do it is the the way an old member here, Lakeside, modded a 361 muffler. He cut a hole and welded in a piece of tubing the same size as the exhaust outlet for stihl blowers (br 400). Then you can use the blower screen and clip for spark arresstor.

There were pictures but we lost all those when the site crashed a few years back.

As mentioned you can also do a base gasket delete.

If the saw is not a 46mm P/C super you can upgrade with a bigger P/C

Sorry, I meant to/thought I did specify that it is a Super model.
I try to be more exacting, but slipped up here.

Thank you to all who gave input here. I LOVE this site, and how helpful and friendly everyone has been!

Cliff
Another cheap upgrade in compression is a no cylinder gasket . use three bond 1184.

Please to explain. Thanks.

I just drilled through the three vertical holes same size as factory front nearest the bar and it woke mine up and didn't make it much louder.

Hi grack,

Maybe I'm Thick, but I seem to be incapable of understanding this. Maybe you could explain more, or give details. Thanks.

Cliff

It would be of great help if you could post a pic of the muffler on your saw, as there are a few different muffler designs used on 028's.

The idea behind a muffler modification is to increase air flow. The first step in doing this is to remove the spark arrestor/catalytic converter. Check your local laws before removing the spark arrestor, as it's against the law in some parts of the world to operate a chainsaw without one.

After the spark arrestor and baffle are removed, reinstall the muffler, and retune the carburetor. If you are not happy with the saw's performance, you will have to increase the size of the opening on your muffler. Depending upon what style muffler your saw has, this can be done with something like a Dremel tool.

If you want to get fancy with your muffler mod, you can add either a second opening to the muffler, or add a short pipe to the current one. (Or both.)

Be careful not to over-mod the muffler, if you do, the saw will be way to loud to operate comfortably. I've read on this site that the surface area of muffler opening(s) should be about 85%-90% of the surface area of the exhaust port on your saw's engine. This will provide maximum performance while keeping the noise relatively low.

One way to measure the area of the engine exhaust port is with spaghetti, make sure the piston is at top-dead-center, and put spaghetti lengthways into the exhaust port until no more will fit. Count the noodles, subtract 10% and mod the muffler until the 90% of spaghetti will fit into the opening(s) of the muffler.

Hope this helps!

happysaws,

Thank you for all your input.

I Will get the saw out maybe tomorrow and take and post a pic.

One thing I need to make clear is that I have no way to weld and don't know how. If I wanted any welding done I would have to take it to a local shop and pay a Minimum of $45 Just For Starting. Other things I can do, but not weld

Cliff

.....Onee thing I need to make clear is that I have no way to weld and don't know how. If I wanted any welding done I would have to take it to a local shop and pay a Minimum of $45 Just For Starting. Other things I can do, but not weld

Cliff
You can still effectively mod the muffler without welding it. Welding a little pipe to the muffler will help redirect the sound, and it may cause the saw to sound a little different. I've modded many mufflers without any welding and still seen noticable gains.

Sorry, I meant to/thought I did specify that it is a Super model.
I try to be more exacting, but slipped up here.

Thank you to all who gave input here. I LOVE this site, and how helpful and friendly everyone has been!

Cliff

Please to explain. Thanks.
Look up allfleetcommand on youtube. Hes a member on here. Some great videos and shows things you can do with simple tools and the no base gasket.

Easy way is to drill holes in cover.. I have a portable welder if your close to Paducah I can help
The mufflers are thin so you need thin wire to weld them ..

Easy way is to drill holes in cover.. I have a portable welder if your close to Paducah I can help
The mufflers are thin so you need thin wire to weld them ..

husky362,

Bout 45 miles East. Out by Marion. Used to live in Paducah. First on KY Ave. Where the parking structure is now at Baptist Hospital, then out near I24, near Whitehaven.

That town sure has grown and changed since we moved there in 1970!

Thanks a ton for the offer of help! I will be in touch.

Cliff

Picture of the muffler inside and out will help.

Often you can just enlarge the holes in the baffle then grind out the existing holes for the outlet(s) to the limits of retaining the spark screen. Drill, dremel/grinder, file is all you need for that. Also match up the gasket and muffler inlet to the exhaust port.

Get us a pic of your muffler There may be a easy way to open opening up

I may have too grab my saws and welder Take a road trip got any wood needs cut

OK Kewl! Tomorrow, when it's not so dang rainy and wet I can pull out the saw and snap a few shots.

As for the question "got any wood needs cut" Have to think about that one. It's pretty messy around here right now, and getting off the road my be hazardous, though based on your picture that may be right up your alley! Nuttin like that around here. We are on a gravel road, on top of a 300 ft tall bluff. Great view! Fantastic sunsets, and views of the Cumberland River Valley. We can see the lights of Calvert City, and often watch them burning flare offs.

We can work something out after I post pics. Thank you for your offer of help!!!

Cliff

Latest posts

Back