Modding the Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS3 is not a safety chain as most think of it. If the SMALL ramps bother you, grind them off like I did.

IMG7846-M.jpg

[video=youtube_share;0tA6kpDOl8c]http://youtu.be/0tA6kpDOl8c[/video]

I agree. I've got a wonderful wife and a beautiful daughter. Lisa takes good care of me too. Yes, I'm spoiled:) Matter of fact, the other night I was sick with this Meniers disease garbage and Anna cooked the two of us supper. Lisa was at work. We had scrambled eggs/cheese and toast. That was really special considering she's only 10.

Thats the best thing about this hobby, the whole family can join in. I take the 3yo and 5yo ans the wife to the woods all the time. Most of the time the kids hang out until we get enough cut to fill the trailer and the lil ones ride on the quad and help us load and unload. The wife will cut all day with me if she has time. Now getting the 13yo stepson to help is a lil challenging, he just wants to ride the quad and cut with the saws. When the real work comes he finds other things to do. lol. But now that we have a Kaw. mule to use it will be great. A 40 AC woods give you plenty to clean up. Looking forward to drier weather! Glad to see your family helps you out too.;)

The 420 is impressive, but it ain't no 346.

True enough... it sure isn't. Nor is it trying to be either, as its made for a whole different purpose and user.

This is also reflected by its price as its not costing anywhere near the 346XP (which is about double). OK, only about 60% more in the US. :cheers:

PS3 is not a safety chain as most think of it. If the SMALL ramps bother you, grind them off like I did.

IMG7846-M.jpg

[video=youtube_share;0tA6kpDOl8c]http://youtu.be/0tA6kpDOl8c[/video]

Now THAT saw just took 26 days off the life of your watch Brad...
Talk about white knuckles!!!

Now THAT saw just took 26 days off the life of your watch Brad...
Talk about white knuckles!!!

Bah. They're not that bad. That's a Counter Vibe version. On second thought...........................they're noisey, heavy, vibrating, underpowered pieces of crap. Shouldn't ever be sold for over $25 or so as a runner, no matter how cherry. I'm doing my part to keep these out of the hands of vibration sensitive people. It's the least I can do.:D

Bah. They're not that bad. That's a Counter Vibe version. On second thought...........................they're noisey, heavy, vibrating, underpowered pieces of crap. Shouldn't ever be sold for over $25 or so as a runner, no matter how cherry. I'm doing my part to keep these out of the hands of vibration sensitive people. It's the least I can do.:D

Duh... Guess I should have looked closer... The XXV I had weren't no "counter" anything... Just a noisy green lump of agitation... It get's a B+ for longevity though... I'm sure it's still numbing knuckles to this day...
:amazed:

Duh... Guess I should have looked closer... The XXV I had weren't no "counter" anything... Just a noisy green lump of agitation... It get's a B+ for longevity though... I'm sure it's still numbing knuckles to this day...
:amazed:

I like those noisey green (and Craftsman red) lumps of agitation........even the non-CV versions.:D

000_0178.jpg

Last edited:
My brother & I each bought a Dolmar 420 last year. Nice saws, I had to have the coil replaced, wasn't getting any spark. My dealer said that the factory told him that this was a common problem with the 420. A few days ago my brothers 420 was idling at full bore, he adjusted the idle screw and it didn't do anything, now it isn't idling fast enough, if you let off the trigger it stops. Not sure what the problem is with it, it just went from super fast idle to too slow idle on its own. I sold my 420 recently only because I wanted to try something different, I found an older (2001 model) new in the box efco 420. My saw dealer is going top drop Dolmar as he said they are killing him with shipping, he called them to order a couple Dolmar string cutters/weed whackers and they told him there would be no shipping charge, when they showed up he had to pay $60.00 shipping, he wasn't happy. If I was to get another Dolmar and had the money I would get the 5105 although the 420 is a nice saw and well built.

Latest posts

Back