Modding the Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother & I each bought a Dolmar 420 last year. Nice saws, I had to have the coil replaced, wasn't getting any spark. My dealer said that the factory told him that this was a common problem with the 420. A few days ago my brothers 420 was idling at full bore, he adjusted the idle screw and it didn't do anything, now it isn't idling fast enough, if you let off the trigger it stops. Not sure what the problem is with it, it just went from super fast idle to too slow idle on its own. I sold my 420 recently only because I wanted to try something different, I found an older (2001 model) new in the box efco 420. My saw dealer is going top drop Dolmar as he said they are killing him with shipping, he called them to order a couple Dolmar string cutters/weed whackers and they told him there would be no shipping charge, when they showed up he had to pay $60.00 shipping, he wasn't happy. If I was to get another Dolmar and had the money I would get the 5105 although the 420 is a nice saw and well built.
If you adjust a carb and nothing changes, the quick rule is the carb has issues, rebuild.

Dont think I saw any coil issues mentioned on AS? Never heard of that!

RE: Shipping. That is not an issue with Dolmar, it is an issue with the distribution company for that area. Dropping a line over that is silly.

Any Efco 420 pics, never heard of that one!

If you adjust a carb and nothing changes, the quick rule is the carb has issues, rebuild.

Dont think I saw any coil issues mentioned on AS? Never heard of that!

RE: Shipping. That is not an issue with Dolmar, it is an issue with the distribution company for that area. Dropping a line over that is silly.

Any Efco 420 pics, never heard of that one!
My mistake I meant to say Dolmar 420. I just bought an efco and got mixed up, I sold my Dolmar 420 and bought a efco 940. My dealer picked up Echo, maybe thats another reason he dropped Dolmar, I am not sure. You wouldn't think that a person would have to rebuilt the carb on a saw that is only a little over a year old, we don't cut alot of wood.

The 420 is impressive, but it ain't no 346.

True enough... it sure isn't. Nor is it trying to be either, as its made for a whole different purpose and user.

This is also reflected by its price as its not costing anywhere near the 346XP (which is about double). OK, only about 60% more in the US. :cheers:

Don't tell Niko....But it is 3/4 lb lighter though.......and very nimble......;)

Bump. Anybody have a part number or know how to convert to .325 pitch???
2AM for me, so bear with me as I didn't read the whole thread.
Just responding to Your post, trying to help.

Are You asking for a .325" pitch spur sprocket/clutch drum for a Dolmar PS-420?
If so then the part # should be 181223312

I think these are correct for a 421 at least to go .325. Nate at performance outdoor equipment listed them on my invoice. Might want to check with him and buy from him. Great guy to work with!

181223062 clutch drum
10x16x.2 shim
11892 power mate rim
Dol 2.6 ( not sure what this is)

I run 16" and 18" bars on this little beast. I am glad I went with .325. Plus rims are easily replaced and cheaper than spur sprockets.

For .325 pitch you need 181223310 with spur, 181223100 for rim drive less ring.. The neat thing from paying attention and research, 420, 460,510, 5100 and 6100 drums will interchange. Six tooth 3/8 spur for a 420 on a 5100 and it pulls like a train, seems to run well with the fullsize 3/8

I think these are correct for a 421 at least to go .325. Nate at performance outdoor equipment listed them on my invoice. Might want to check with him and buy from him. Great guy to work with!

181223062 clutch drum
10x16x.2 shim
11892 power mate rim
Dol 2.6 ( not sure what this is)

I run 16" and 18" bars on this little beast. I am glad I went with .325. Plus rims are easily replaced and cheaper than spur sprockets.
Thanks!!! That dol 2.6 is mix oil

Thanks a bunch. Which bar do you like best

The 18". I like the extra reach and I feel like it has enough grunt to turn it. I've cut some ash, birch and crab apple with both. If blind folded, I couldn't tell the difference between the bars. Same chain for both. Check your pms shortly.

Going with the 16" standard .325. I have tried narrow kerf, works really well, just not a lot of options. Stihl rs/rm usually my pick, lots of other good ones too.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Back