Modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you modify your muffler on any particular saw , do you have to compensate by retuning the carb richer due to increased airflow ?
I gutted my 066 muffler and now it seems to scream way to high and seemed to be really hot after a short period of running , so I fattend the carb to give more fuel and bring the revs down . Does this sound right ?

muffler mods.

This is definitely a good question for Ken Dunn or Dennis Greffard. I've modified 3 Stihl 044's, 1 Stihl 066, and a Shindaiwa 757. None of these saws needed to be richened up. Each saw is might be slightly different. Each saw had definite gains in performance. Rich.

Last edited:
i agree - the pros know best.

how did you determine the saw was "really hot" after muffler mods - should be running cooler after the mods:confused:

Hi daveyclimber, sounds to me like you made the right diagnosis. This question was asked before, and the answer was a little evasive, but as Rich said each saw is a little different. Me being the anal retentive jerk that I am, tweak the carb on a regular basis. It seems like the atmospheric conditions change on a daily, if not more frequent, basis around here and I have gotten used to quick field tweaks when the saw doesn`t sound just right. I also use a Stihl pocket tach for occassional verification. Russ

Jokers Stihl Pocket Tachometer

Can you put up a picture on what this looks like.

The saw felt hotter and smoked after shut down , you could smell the oil residue burning in the muffler . Where would you get a tach for a saw and how much do they cost ?

daveyclimber

Stihl has 2 tachometers in there catalog. One has a perminent battery ( once the battery goes the tach is dead ). The other has a replaceable battery ( cost me about $3 to replace it). I use the replaceable battery model. It is pricey, about $100. I'd shop around. Hope this answers your question. Rich.

Echo has a decent tach that they get out of Japan. Mine ran around $80 US. Works for 4-strokes too. Use it on the autos as well.

echo has a tach? i've been looking for one (any good clamp on-one) and theyre hard to find. At least i have had a rough time - where can you find one:confused:

Otto, Husky has them too. Any Husky, Stihl, or Echo dealer can get you one. Let me know if you can`t find one and I`ll help you out. Didn`t you see the little basket by the door going into the beer hall for the family reunion? It was full of them, better than those stupid Stihl hats they gave us last year, LOL. Russ

Latest posts

Back