modifying a woodsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttamoneypit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't gotten 1 yet but I know when I do i won't be very happy with slow cycle speeds.

So how easy is it to maodify 1 to make it faster?? is it just a simple pump upgrade?

i will probably be getting a 35 ton splitter from tractor supply

thanks
for any advice

I haven't gotten 1 yet but I know when I do i won't be very happy with slow cycle speeds.

So how easy is it to maodify 1 to make it faster?? is it just a simple pump upgrade?

i will probably be getting a 35 ton splitter from tractor supply

thanks
for any advice

35 Ton will have a big cylinder, most likely 5", that will take a lot of fluid to move. The more fluid needed, the more GPMs needed to keep the same speed. You can switch to a larger pump, but then you will be looking for a bigger engine as well, because the original engine will not have the HP to make full pressure on the larger pump. Kind of a vicious cycle...

If speed is your biggest concern, look into a splitter in the 22-27 ton range, with a 4" cylinder, and the biggest pump/motor combo offered. It should do everything you need faster than the 35 will, and I don't think you will find much you can't split with a slightly smaller one.

In order to upgrade the 35 ton TSC or any other manufacturer's standard splitter for faster cycle times , you start by removing the beam and cylinder and discarding everything else.

You will need a 28 gpm 2-stage pump powered by a 14+ hp. engine, larger hydraulic reservoir, bigger hoses, larger capacity control valve, and larger filter. A 22 gpm 2-stage pump with a 11 hp. engine will also speed things up a bit but you will still need to increase the size of all the other components.

The upgrade can double the cost of a splitter.

Doesn't sound like a very good question for somone who doesn't have a splitter yet to ask. Decreased cycle times are nice, but so is going home with all your fingers.

Keep in mind that the cycle time specified in the literature is measured from closed to full open and back to closed. In splitting it is rare to use the full stroke. I was splitting today in easy stuff and the total stroke used was about 4-6". I would have to look at my manual but I think it gives 17 second cycle time (Troybilt 27 ton). Long, but I can't keep up with it.

Harry K

Sounds like you need iron and oak fast cycle splitter with 8 second cycle time. I just about bought one a a farm show for 1950 with log tables and dislodger and they were demoing it. Need to call Iron and Oak find out when they have show special pricing because they seem to have 30% dicounts on anything they had. Could have got one with Honda GX motor for 2250 on my door step.

Keep in mind that the cycle time specified in the literature is measured from closed to full open and back to closed. In splitting it is rare to use the full stroke. I was splitting today in easy stuff and the total stroke used was about 4-6". I would have to look at my manual but I think it gives 17 second cycle time (Troybilt 27 ton). Long, but I can't keep up with it.

Harry K

+1 Good points.

Harry K

thats why i like my short 20" stroke its actuallu a real time saver in the long run.

Harry K

Your correct unless he is splitting things like elm that require a full stroke to fully split. The closer the wedge comes to the footplate/ram the better with elm.

Triptester gave you the list for your upgrade. Keep in mind that 3/4" hoses rated for 3000psi+ are not generally commonly available and are $$. I ordered mine through surplus center.

If you want to buy a fast hydraulic splitter, you may want to contact one of our forum sponsors about getting one already configured the way you want. I get the impression that the smaller commercial splitter manufactures will customize or at least have the options you are wanting. They do cost some $$$ but I am not sure how much you will save if you go out an buy all of the new stuff you need to really make them go fast.

Don

Buy a 22 ton splitter with a 4" cylinder. While using that for wood production look for a gently used 8hp honda engine (for under $200). Ask for a 16gpm pump, couplings, and mounting bracket from santa. Get a few feet of 1" hose from your local TSC. Assuming you have some tools....put it all together. The result about 9.9 sec. FULL cycle time.

ttamoneypit, are sure you want a faster speed? Like turnkey4099 we have a 27 troy-built we bought at Blowes for 1099.00 - one of the best investment I ever made - and with its two-stage pump its plenty fast...especially if two people are working together (one loading and positioning the wood, the other, someone you REALLY trust, operating the valve)...you tear through rounds as fast as you can get them in there and watch the splitter do its thing. The upstroke gives you enough time to throw the split and reposition the round for another go...I wouldn't want it to be any faster.

We did take a mini-grinder to the wedge and smooth its surface to a glassy finish, and taking a 600grit knife sharpener to made the edge razor sharp.
It will cross-cut right through tough knots now, and slice right through fiberous wood without tearing...a modification critical for brutal Pinion Pine we have here...

Good Luck,
Bounty Hunter

If you are worried about speed, I would get a splitter that can be fitted with a 4-way wedge. The 37-ton one sold by Norther Tool fits the bill and it isn't that much more than the Huskee 35-ton. Biggest draw back would be buying 8 gallons of oil to put in the pump. That can be about $160.

If you are worried about speed, I would get a splitter that can be fitted with a 4-way wedge. The 37-ton one sold by Norther Tool fits the bill and it isn't that much more than the Huskee 35-ton. Biggest draw back would be buying 8 gallons of oil to put in the pump. That can be about $160.

Hydraulic oil is not that expensive. I just picked up a fiver at rural King today for my dozer for 21.99
It is hydraulic oil, not rocket fuel.

Why not save a bunch of money, and hassle to start with? You know, get something that will work to start with? If all I did was Oak, I'd own a woodwolf or a Supersplit, but all I burn is Hedge and I sell mixed, Cotonweed, Elm, Sycamore etc. and they are not fond of that wood.
I've spent many an hour with a 27ton Yard Machines with a 17 second cycle, two guys standing around waiting for the cylinder to return splitting up Elm, loads of fun:monkey:
It's made by Ramsplitter and I doubt you will find anything of the quality for the price:http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_24&products_id=32

I really want an American, but the shipping alone is a killer!

If you want to buy a fast hydraulic splitter, you may want to contact one of our forum sponsors about getting one already configured the way you want. I get the impression that the smaller commercial splitter manufactures will customize or at least have the options you are wanting. They do cost some $$$ but I am not sure how much you will save if you go out an buy all of the new stuff you need to really make them go fast.

Good advice. Get ALL the numbers before you lay out any green.

Fast cycle times are overrated, methinks.

Latest posts

Back