Moisture Content Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one when I started heating with wood. I used it a little the first fall. I keep it but after I figured out that two+ year old gray wood that is checked at the ends burns better it really doesn't matter. If I get in a pinch I know I can burn freshly processed ash without much trouble. I guess everyone needs to learn their own systems.

Same here. I have one that I used the first season to associate an appearance with moisture content. Now I only use it on new loads as I'm splitting to see where they are.

Occasionally for S&G I'll split a seasoned piece and check. But not very often.

I originally bought it because I was buying "seasoned" ash. Well, half way through the season I had a thick layer of creosote in the chimney. Come to find out the ash I was buying wasn't seasoned enough for the stove and short chimney. Now I know.

sent from a field

I bought one when I started heating with wood. I used it a little the first fall. I keep it but after I figured out that two+ year old gray wood that is checked at the ends burns better it really doesn't matter. If I get in a pinch I know I can burn freshly processed ash without much trouble. I guess everyone needs to learn their own systems.
That last sentence says it all. I can see where a MM might help someone that is green to heating with wood. Once you learn what works for you, I think one would find themselfs using a MM less and less. I have never owned one and dont see one in my future.

I bought mine more for checking oak ........I am not moving 2 face cord of wood into the garage if is it's not ready.....also use it to check standing dead (out of curiosity), funny how standing dead can be drier or wetter than you think.....

Latest posts

Back