moisture meter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A while a go I bought a moisture meter - the type with 4 prongs. It came with a chart that 'corrected' the value given with the 'true' value, depending on wood. But now I've lost this chart... Is there a generic chart that relates readout values to a real moisture content? Do all meters work like this?

A while a go I bought a moisture meter - the type with 4 prongs. It came with a chart that 'corrected' the value given with the 'true' value, depending on wood. But now I've lost this chart... Is there a generic chart that relates readout values to a real moisture content? Do all meters work like this?

That type of moisture meter with prongs works by sending a small electric current through the wood between those prongs and measuring the resistance. The more water, the less resistance. While the principle is the same, each brand has its own way to doing this, some are much more sophisticated than others. Thus, no there is generally not a generic chart for all resistance moisture meters. You might find that another brands chart is similar though. No they don't all work like this, the pinlles kind uses radio waves that penetrate the wood and get its' moisture content. They are generally much more expensive. I happen to have a Wagner pinless, and it's one of those tools that I don't know what I did without before in the woodshop. Very handy. I grab it often in the shop as I turn rough milled wood into S4S lumber.

got both styles... right one uses both radio and pin. left uses pin only.
pin type seems more accurate and is less $$$.

Timbermaster allows calibrating for wood type.
http://www.gesensing.com/products/timbermaster.htm?bc=bc_ge_protimeter

posted the wood moisture chart in another wood thread....

protimeter4.JPG

Last edited:
The pin type meter is only accurate on a freshly cut end.

...if you only stick the pins in a little below the surface yes this is true, but if you get them more than 1/4 inch into the the old or weathered board, you will get an accurate measurement. This IS one of the places that a pinless meter shines... no messing with pins or pounding them into the wood, just place the meter on the wood and press the button.

Back