Moisture meter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine is a GE Surveymaster Protimeter that's calibrated, takes measurement with external probes and via sound waves.

GE Timbermaster Protimeter takes reading via external probe only, but has option of different settings for different species.

top of the line gear costs...

sounds great ...I'll see if I can find it....thanx :)

Found it...looks like a great tool...if you try measure the wood, inside your unpainted wooden kitchen cabinet....what do you read?

Last edited:
protimeter2.JPG

protimeter4.JPG

Theory

Quality in measuring (or shooting with a scope rifle) is a matter of both PRECISION and ACCURACY....

PRECISION is good when you get the same result (all shoots almost i the same hole), when measuring (shooting) multiple times

ACCURACY is good when the AVERAGE of multiple measurements (Shoots) is on "TARGET".

Good PRECISION do not necessary mean that all results is on TARGET, but if TARGET is known, we can COMPENSATE or maybe even CALIBRATE (adjust the scope)

Good ACCURACY do mean that the average of resluts is on TARGET, but results can be spread around a bit ...

Measure many times, and use average...
Get you gauge checked and CALIBRATED. If it can't be CALIBRATED, you will have to adjust your result.
Check your gauge with a more precise "good" gauge, at a wood shop or a sawmill ("drying superviser").
Bring your samples and gauge so the comparison with the "good" gauge gets fair

Per A
aw come on....

Gee... Thanks that was real helpful :poke:

Everyone else thanks for the info on the probe type moisture testers. I was hoping to spend 200-225 for one, but if the GE one is a lot better than ones in my price range i'll pick one up this summer. I want one that can read what the moisture really is b/c in a given week i'm dealing with 3-5 species of wood and don't wan't to have to take the time experimenting, just to make a tool do it job right.

if you need to calibrate meter for different types of wood... then yes.
I've got the chart for different species woods .. if you want a copy

Surveymaster has the option of measuring without probes. if one is doing more than firewood, the Surveymaster would be a better choice. all GE protimers come with calibration tools. then interpolate with chart.

no it's not necessary to spend $400 for Timbermaster. the Mini will do just fine at $175... just sold my mini for $125 not too long ago on craigslist.

it's not necessary to nail down to exact percentage ... unless you've got a specific reason like measuring kiln dry woods. or prepping wood for furniture and need to know specifically what moisture content is.

if you've got the $$$$ go for Timbermaster!

http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=18168
Wouldn't this be the better choice for my application since its designed for it?

The $400 timbermaster has a hammer probe attachment and a temp probe. Do i need either one of these attachments to measure 1x2 to 4x4 pieces of wood in my klin? As for drying lumber and furniture grade wood, my dad has done that before, and i'd like to get back into doing again.

Back