moisture tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
can someone tell me if you use a moisture tester, and how accurate is it I got a cheaper one and just wondering .

Cut some corly-ques* and pile them up, light the upwind side and notice the smoke.

Goes out, over 25%

Burns slow,smoke clears the pile, too wet for firewood, maybe near 20% .

Smokes but the smoke re burns in the top of the flame, maybe near 15% , getting there. If it's there now, mid-winter will be perfect.

Burns hard, no smoke, maybe around 10% or so, good firewood, hard to season to that point in some areas.

Bar cutting long ways to the wood,,,long wood shavings.

Cut some corly-ques* and pile them up, light the upwind side and notice the smoke.

Goes out, over 25%

Burns slow,smoke clears the pile, too wet for firewood, maybe near 20% .

Smokes but the smoke re burns in the top of the flame, maybe near 15% , getting there. If it's there now, mid-winter will be perfect.

Burns hard, no smoke, maybe around 10% or so, good firewood, hard to season to that point in some areas.

Bar cutting long ways to the wood,,,long wood shavings.

Well that sure seems less wasteful than grabbing 3 pieces off the stack for a cookfire to test it out fir how easily it catches and the quality of the burn.

That one deserves a rep.

Just wondering if you ever bought one and tried it, I have some fallen wood I am wondering just how dry it is being dead but not cut and seasoned. I tried above methods of buringing it but would like to test it for sure, before I sell it if the cheap testers work.

I have one just b/c a retired painter gave it to me...It is a cheap sales tool for people that want you to prove the wood is seasoned...

Where would one find a "cheap" tester? The ones I have seen are priced at 300 for a "cheap" tester.

I really would like to have one.

By the way, hello. I am the new guy.

I got one at the bay-e cheap, I like it. I poke it in everything
I was surprised how different two pieces out of wood out of the same stack can be.
Sure a lot of people will say you don't need them fancy tools you can bang two pieces together to see if its seasoned, true.
I could ride a horse to town and send smoke signals but I would rather drive my Navigator and talk on my cell.
Just my opinion
I see one on there now for $16 w/free shipping, same one I have and works good :Eye:

I got one at the bay-e cheap, I like it. I poke it in everything
I was surprised how different two pieces out of wood out of the same stack can be.
Sure a lot of people will say you don't need them fancy tools you can bang two pieces together to see if its seasoned, true.
I could ride a horse to town and send smoke signals but I would rather drive my Navigator and talk on my cell.
Just my opinion
I see one on there now for $16 w/free shipping, same one I have and works good :Eye:

:hmm3grin2orange:

That's pretty funny, I don't have one yet, it really doesn't matter if it's dry or not right now. If I'm cutting it right now it's going in the OWB. Next year I will have dry seasoned firewood :bang:

Its like a lot of things, you don't really need one but I have had my $20 worth of fun out of it. I just tested a piece of wood that tested 18 percent. I split it again with my ax and the center tested 25 percent. I don't know if that's normal but I will learn. This summer I will test pieces from different spots in the wood shed etc.
If asked would I waste my money on a cheap one? :crazy1: YES

moisture meter

Hi guys I got a meter off e-bay for 18.00.+ shipping and I like its a four prong and reads up to 40%.

I got one at the bay-e cheap, I like it. I poke it in everythingI was surprised how different two pieces out of wood out of the same stack can be.
Just my opinion

Does your significant other know? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

seriously though, got a link to the one you saw?

Last edited:
Another gimmick for The Woodpile O.C.D. Moisture Meters ( MM )are like a Male T_T: useless. :buttkick:
You want to know if your firewood is ready for burn ? Burn it. Knock two splits together. See cracks in the end grain. Hold said piece of split in hand, compare to freshly cut, feel the weight. Cut green in fall/winter, burn next winter.
On HearthNet, the techie boys love their gadgets better than sex : MM's , PC monitoring of flue temps, video views of their fires, 36" chainsaws, 60 ton splitters----anything but firewood for heat. :popcorn: What's a real burner to do ? :( :) Bless us.

Another gimmick for The Woodpile O.C.D. Moisture Meters ( MM )are like a Male T_T: useless. :buttkick:
You want to know if your firewood is ready for burn ? Burn it. Knock two splits together. See cracks in the end grain. Hold said piece of split in hand, compare to freshly cut, feel the weight. Cut green in fall/winter, burn next winter.
On HearthNet, the techie boys love their gadgets better than sex : MM's , PC monitoring of flue temps, video views of their fires, 36" chainsaws, 60 ton splitters----anything but firewood for heat. :popcorn: What's a real burner to do ? :( :) Bless us.

Actually I wasn't thinking firewood.. I was thinking sawn wood.. :greenchainsaw:

Back