Mold on stickered planks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecutstrees

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I checked my shed yesterday and found alot of mold on my planks. On the 3/4 oak and alot on the 8/4 hickory. The planks seem to be drying and are not checking badly but there is alot of green dusty mold. Is this a problem? will it discolor the wood once it is planed? Am I drying too slowly? It has been quite dry here the last month but wet before that. Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

You need to get some air circulating. If you have power, a small fan on a timer works well - run it for an hour a few times/day an leave a window open a crack (do allow the humidity in the shed to migrate outside). If it's in a shed with no power and that's not heated/cooled, cut in a low grate and a high one either side/end of the building. This will promote convection throughout the day as the shed heats/cools inside.

I'd brush off the mold and the spray on some diluted bleach to kill what's left.

When you finish-mill the stock remember the mold, use dust collection and a good mask to avoid inhaling any of the spores.

Nikko

Mike, you aren't too far from me, and you're right - It was a wet rainy summer until the last few weeks. How wide were your stacks? I used to do some 6' wide, but found it too much - Most I'll put up now is 4'. Like Nikko said, you have to get air moving through it - Early on, when it's the wettest. Once that sufrace moisture is gone, you shouldn't get mold. It should plane off when dry, the deepest could be where the stickers are.

The hickory is about 18" wide boards and they are stacked all alone. The oak is stacked about 4 feet away and is stacked together with some spalted maple and some other maple. The oak and maple is stacked in two stacks. The shed is two stories and I thought air would flow well. I opened up the rear window and the front door today though and soon I will spray some 50/50 bleach. Thanks guys for the input..... Mike

Latest posts

Back