Monkey Grape Vines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have monkey grape vines and some green climbing thorn vines that are killing my trees. Is there anything I can spray on the vines after I cut them off to kill the remaining vine in the ground?

John

Don't know monkey grape

but I don't believe grape vines kill trees, grapes are seen on dead trees often because grape vines live up to 10 times longer than the trees they climb. Any poison that kills woody vines can also kill trees, I personally don't use them.

The vine with thorns is probably smilax.

It can be tough to kill. Everything I've read says to cut it and leave a stalk. Bend the stalk over and tape/tie a vial (or some small container) of Round Up concentrate to it. Keep the cut end submerged in the concentrate. The herbicide will travel down the stalk and into the tuber that lies underground, eventually killing it.

This sounds like a pain but if you've ever had to deal with smilax in your yard you'll understand. I plan on trying it this year and I'll post the results.

Back