#### Monsanto

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several landowners I work with that let me work some ground and cut some hay, first thing I ask these people if they have any problem with Atrazine, Roundup or the deer on their property eating Roundup ready corn in the field. So far everybody is ok with it. Folks want grass fed beef and corn fed venisono_O

He's not talking about GMO "organisms or viruses" he's talking about the inability of soil organisms to breakdown a highly overused and often mismanaged herbicide. Will you still be willing to call the man a hack when you start seeing yield plateaus that you can't explain...then it it hits your bottom line.

if you think about it... anything cross bread is genetically modified... so pretty much all grains and animals are gmo's . cross breeding has been going on for years... crossing one plant with another to try to get a desirable trait... what modern tech has done it has taken the luck part of it out... (say having to do 30 or so crosses to try to refine a trait... and then to keep propagating the desirable one)
oh and how much food is given away by the gov to other nations.. to keep fostering their inflated unsustainable populations? if you cant feed em.. don't breed em.

if you think about it... anything cross bread is genetically modified

No.

The "genetic modification" folks are talking about with "GMO" or "GE" (Genetic Engineering) in respect to this topic involve the transference of genes of in ways and and of types that are extremely rare in nature.

No matter how much you bred different varieties of corn together, before GMO corn with the trait became available, you would never get one to pick up the genes to produce Bt. Its just wasn't in the genes of the species. Now it is possible because we've added those genes to the plants.

Now, you might have Bt spontaneously occur. Theoretically enough monkeys equipped with typewriters would also eventually randomly type out the entire works of William Shakespeare, though it might take a period of time longer than the lifespan of the universe and everything would collapse into a giant black hole and go bang again before it happened.

Slightly more likely, though far less likely than me becoming President and Zooey Deschanel being First Lady, is you would have a virus pick up the Bt genes from the bacterium that normally produces it, then transfer those genes to a corn plant, and have that corn plant be able to pass on the newly acquired genes. With billions of years of evolution working away, it does happen in nature that a useful trait is picked up and passed on in the genetics of a species after being transferred by a virus, but extremely rarely.

But for all practical purposes, there is no "luck" involved that folks are short-circuiting by using GMO techniques -- most of the desired traits are being taken from other organisms and introduced to species to which conventional breeding would not have allowed the transference of the genes that produce the trait.

As a modern commercial farmer, I feel like i need to clarify a few things. People in the USA are banned from eating GMO, directly. GMO only go to livestock feed, cosmetic, industrial uses, & fuel. I agree that Monsanto has had unfair advantage in the market, and im vvery dis appointed that Monsanto is my oly option in many ways. GMO save a huge quantity of pesticides, but lead to greater herbacide use. Any expert would agree that Glyphosate is less toxic than any common comercial pesticides, but the widespread use of glyphosate is a concern. Better than 2-4d by a damn sight, but still worrisome in the massive quantities. Glyphosate has saves millions of cubic yards of topesoil, so there is trade off. Without it we would be plowing ground, which we know is more harmefull to soils than any herbacide. Long story short is: If you think this is cut and dry, easy to reconcile these two points of view, you have oversimplified the situation.

David, your second sentence is utterly incorrect. What is it that makes you think that we are banned from consuming gmo's?

People in the US eat gmo's from all these crops:
Soy - '96 (difficult to find a packaged product not containing some form of soy)
Corn - '96 (difficult to find a packaged product not containing some form of corn)
Canola - '96
Cotton - '96 (cottonseed oil)
US grown Papaya - '98
Sugar Beets - '05

All my round-up/BT crops are labeled not for human consumption. I have never seen anything else. I may be wrong. I grow non GE wheat for human consumption. This what everyone else I deal with does, so I onlyonly see GE go to the feed and fuel plant, and non GE go to food

He is right, I stand corrected. My corn/soybeans are not aapproved for human consumption, but such a thing exists. Found primarily in processed foods, as mentioned. My bad.

The most immediate threat with GMO's is the narrowness of the genetic base of such a high percentage of our commodity crops being GMO.70% of the corn and 80% of the beans.Some where between 250-300 small seed companies have either been taken over or run out of business by the big boys and along with them their varieties and genetics.

You folks think you are so Holy, go live in the middle of Africa you Piased son's of a bitches, if we would not be living so long are retirement plans would not be so broke.

You folks think you are so Holy, go live in the middle of Africa you Piased son's of a bitches, if we would not be living so long are retirement plans would not be so broke.
For me it's not about being right it's about knowing what the hell I'm putting in my body and having the freedom to decide. This is America isn't it?

I have several landowners I work with that let me work some ground and cut some hay, first thing I ask these people if they have any problem with Atrazine, Roundup or the deer on their property eating Roundup ready corn in the field. So far everybody is ok with it. Folks want grass fed beef and corn fed venisono_O
Gee then Wizzbang why do the deer eat my Blue River Non GMO/Organic soybeans and alfalfa before they wander over to the neighbors?Got a neighbor that milks cows,farms conventional.He will take a scoop full of conventional corn silage and GMO corn silage and throw 'em both in the feed bunk side by side.The cows will eat the conventional first every time.

Last edited:
Probably because your field is in the deers path to the local watering hole.

Had the foresite to wire up the 1946 SC Case 12v negative ground so I can put a Trimble or Garmin on him some day.
Better start digging through the fence row for the cultivators for that SC.You're gonna need 'em to get the RR volunteer corn out of your RR soybeans.

More off farm inputs,more money from you to the chemical companies,another trip acrosss the field.I'm not going to tell anyone how they should farm.But I'm not going to let a multi billion dollar corporation dictate to me how I should farm, how I should eat or how I should feed my livestock.I have reservations about GMO's but my main ***** is how they've come to dominate commodity crops.The economic impact of some pathogen running through a very narrow plant genetic base is real.The economic power that a relative few corporations have over production agriculture is real.The productivity gains are not clear,just look at the planter and fertilizer application technology that has developed on the same timeline as GMO's( as a result of higher seed cost since you can't afford to waste a single kernal).I am well aware that the usual suspects have jumped on the no GMO band wagon and I wish they would shut the phuck up and let the grownups talk but we all know that's not going to happen.That is not an excuse for looking critically at the true concequences of GMO crops.

Back