#### Monsanto

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that time a year again, time to think about seedcorn. Who all here pounding their shoe against the podium like Khrushchev against GMO's is going to help hoe my corn out for $40 an acre?
the neighbor man used to hoe his corn.probably 30-40 acres.he would wear out hoes,i mean wear them down to the handle. ain't no farmers like that anymore! his name was Noah!!!
Marco go down the the unemployment office ,maybe you can get some takers on $40 an acre.:laugh:

Well, that time a year again, time to think about seedcorn. Who all here pounding their shoe against the podium like Khrushchev against GMO's is going to help hoe my corn out for $40 an acre?
Try scaling down and growing food for the people and not for animals and sugar. That corn syrup rots your insides any ways. I find it much more rewarding growing good food for my people. Industrialize farming is what's wrong with America's ag system. The walmarts of the ag industry keep pushing the little man out ruining our land and producing inferior products with little nutrition value but I guess its more convenient to eat food out a box in a lazy society.

:givebeer:
Try scaling down and growing food for the people and not for animals and sugar. That corn syrup rots your insides any ways. I find it much more rewarding growing good food for my people. Industrialize farming is what's wrong with America's ag system. The walmarts of the ag industry keep pushing the little man out ruining our land and producing inferior products with little nutrition value but I guess its more convenient to eat food out a box in a lazy society.

Yes, because right now when the average North American diet has never been more nutritious , or cheap, we are somehow producing food that has no nutrition. Right:dizzy:

And if we only grow food for people, then where will livestock get their feed from?

Last I checked, sugar was considered food for human consumption.

More off farm inputs,more money from you to the chemical companies,another trip acrosss the field.I'm not going to tell anyone how they should farm.But I'm not going to let a multi billion dollar corporation dictate to me how I should farm, how I should eat or how I should feed my livestock.I have reservations about GMO's but my main ***** is how they've come to dominate commodity crops.The economic impact of some pathogen running through a very narrow plant genetic base is real.The economic power that a relative few corporations have over production agriculture is real.The productivity gains are not clear,just look at the planter and fertilizer application technology that has developed on the same timeline as GMO's( as a result of higher seed cost since you can't afford to waste a single kernal).I am well aware that the usual suspects have jumped on the no GMO band wagon and I wish they would shut the phuck up and let the grownups talk but we all know that's not going to happen.That is not an excuse for looking critically at the true concequences of GMO crops.

The statement "more off farm inputs, more money from you to chem companies, another trip across the field" isn't true in this area. We are already going across the field to apply herbicide; so there is no additional trip across the field, and we simply change what herbicide we use depending on the weeds that are there.

I do agree that it would be nice to see more companies involved with breeding and GM efforts, especially in corn and soybeans. But I just don't think we will see many because of the massive costs. Last I heard it takes on average 10 years and $10 million to bring a new GM trait to market. I don't think many small seed companies can afford that.

The statement "more off farm inputs, more money from you to chem companies, another trip across the field" isn't true in this area. We are already going across the field to apply herbicide; so there is no additional trip across the field, and we simply change what herbicide we use depending on the weeds that are there.

I do agree that it would be nice to see more companies involved with breeding and GM efforts, especially in corn and soybeans. But I just don't think we will see many because of the massive costs. Last I heard it takes on average 10 years and $10 million to bring a new GM trait to market. I don't think many small seed companies can afford that.
The whole idea behind RR was Roundup and its generic equivilents were cheap.The alternatives to deal with RR weeds(or plants out of place)are anything but.

The whole idea behind RR was Roundup and its generic equivilents were cheap.The alternatives to deal with RR weeds(or plants out of place)are anything but.

Yes, dealing with roundup resistant weeds is becoming costly. The sad part is; roundup is a very good herbicide and it's a shame that it was misused to the point where we are now. It should never have been used so predominately.

Those most in need of this new seed-based technology are those who can least afford buying an adequate diet, rich in essential nutrients. This has been taken into consideration by the creators of Golden Rice, Profs Peter Beyer and Ingo Portrykus, and the crop protection company Syngenta, who have worked together to make the latest, improved version of Golden Rice available for humanitarian use in developing countries, free of charge.
from http://www.goldenrice.org/index.php

Poverty in the third world is driven by politics not lack of food.A geographic area has a food shortage the other players in the area use it to gain political advantage and do what they can to keep food out.They will do the same thing with golden rice.

Poverty in the third world is driven by politics not lack of food.A geographic area has a food shortage the other players in the area use it to gain political advantage and do what they can to keep food out.They will do the same thing with golden rice.

So then doesn't it make sense to make the limited food that they do get more nutritional?

Golden rice is going to be offered free of charge to small farmers. The trick will be getting it into the most isolated areas where it is needed the most.

Rice eating cultures are also picky about varieties and preparation.It's illogical in the face of hunger or malnutrition but true.You can't just say "here,eat this".

Rice eating cultures are also picky about varieties and preparation.It's illogical in the face of hunger or malnutrition but true.You can't just say "here,eat this".

There is a LOT of truth to that.

The French at one time turned down Potatoes, and chose to starve themselves for the want of proper wheat.

From what I gather, the Golden rice dosn't appeal to the palets of several cultures in SW Asia, where rice is a staple but lacks the nutrients needed.

We need to start shipping Tobbasco with the rice or something.

What people forget is that there is already a study going on with REAL PEOPLE...Millions of real people eating TONS of it everyday with no REAL discernible, attributive effects of consuming GMO's. In fact GMO's are everywhere in food and also used in cosmetics, plastics, fuel and other things. I have no love affair with GMO's other than they increase the profitability of farming grains, reduce input costs and the use of environmentally unsafe chemicals, and they have the ability of increasing food production with out increasing the amount of acres farmed. And as a farmer that is a big deal. It means that growing corn at $4.00/bu is going to bring a profit, rather than breaking even like with conventional corn.

In what used to take years of breeding trials to modify a gene to express a desirable trait, a geneticist can do it in weeks within a lab. This is nothing new. This isn't witchcraft or sorcery. We knew we could do it back in the 1930's but only until recently with high powered computers could we map the entire billions of genetic code to know which protein chains did what.

People will also say "well the long term effects have not been studied thoroughly"...ok..GMO corn came out in 1996..17 years ago...millions of people have been consuming it everyday for the last 17 years. Not lab rats, not monkeys...actual people..millions of them. You, me and that other guy across the room eat it everyday and prob don't even know it. Watch the documentary King Corn, its a real eye-opener.
Just because it hasn't bitten you all in the butt yet doesn't mean it won't. Also, I think you'll find that Americans are not very healthy any more on a country wide scale and it's getting worse

Yeah because everyone in Europe is cancer, diabetes, heart disease free due to the fact that the disallow GMO's. What were we thinking? You are right ddh, you have found a link to GMO's and their negative effects while 1000's of scientists all across the world completely missed that.
the European union has trialled gm in large areas, mostly kept secret with absolutely no controls to restrict cross pollination or natural spread. It all comes down to the ethics of the people making money

Latest posts

Back