More internet pictures of the woodticks at work!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...also, cutting the material at like a 60 degree angle or so, when you can, makes it feed alot easier.

Just an afterthought,

Erik

i'm not talking chuck and ducks here. i'm talking big machines that will chip what ever a person can carry. you are not going to lift the feed wheel with one hand and push a piece in with a push bar in the other hand.
its easy if one guy is on the controls and one guy is throwing the piece's to slide across the deck. but its pretty standard practice when one guy was chipping to fill the whole infeed deck and the push them in with your leg. the decks are so long your leg only shoves them in from the part that folds down. you have both hands on the feed controls and just give them a shove with your foot. i'm come closer to getting dragged in by brush piles than slipping with the wood. my old machine took wood 24in wide x 20 in tall. do you realy think you could push those chunks one handed with a push bar? if the deck is full and your only pushing the last piece, then the machine needs to chip at least 3 piece's before it could get your foot. if your putting your weight behind a push with a push bar and you slip forward, into the feed wheel your arm goes. at least if you slip shoving it with your foot you'll only fall on your ass.

it may not sound right, or make sense unless you've done it . but feeding a big machine with a long deck is a different game.

Well KF, those were my ideas, maybe someone else can add more.

I normally work with 12" chippers, and you're right, it is different.

Erik
:p

net tree, your on target with your thinking. the big bandit machines come with a wooden push handle. the angle idea is good. but on the big machines i don't see it as dangerous to shove big wood in with your foot.

did i forget to mention i have a wooden leg.:D

Good stuff, except for the part that this thread started with the making fun of a colleague's company. This practice has to stop - putting other companies, their reputations and websites on the chopping block for laughs. I wonder if JPS has brought up my family's business for giggles...

For feeding chippers, I'd have to say that it's difficult to speculate while we're sitting at keyboards. The fact is that 99% of chippers in commercial tree care don't have winches or grapples. Also, the winch only gets it TO the feed area. Getting into the wheels is another step.

Hey, I've done a bunch of stupid things with chippers, and I will for the rest of my life. I'm learning, though. Todd's picture is a good example of what not to do. I like to stand to the side hanging on the hydraulics with one hand and pushing the log in with the other hand. Once a piece has the wheels open, lining piece after piece is a good way to ease the process. Nevertheless, there are times where you need to get behind a piece and push it in. In that case, I get a good footing, put my head to the side in case it flips up, and push the piece in. I do NOT get my head or body past the feed chute. Of course, my hands get past it, but my fingertips are still 3-4 feet from the wheels.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I believe that case-by-case analysis is best. If you stop thinking and shut off your common sense, close calls and accidents will happen more often. Even if you do everything right, though, the drum could fly apart, using the rest of the chipper as shrapnel - killing you 12 hours before your life insurance goes through. :)

Nickrosis

With that pick of two guys and one laying on the inffed tray... I would have used the chunk of wood to the left to push the ofirst one in. Save a long peice with a little diameter on it to push the last chunk in. Then run the sweeper branches through to keep the big chips from jaming the knives next startup.

As for getting body parts onto a log, I met a guy with the forestry Dept of a a Twin Cities suburb who got a hand inbetween log and infeed shoot. Nothing broken, bit most of the soft tissue in his hand and wrist had to be reconnected. Think that is worse then a brake. Saw him at the WAA senminar at WI Rapids, said it is working good now.

There are times with big machines that it may be needed to manhandle a peice, get the wheel in neutral, if possible slow the wheel speed down too, get the log situated before engaging the feedwheel again.

I hear what you're saying KF tree and that sounds fine to me, I would have done the same thing as JPS suggested and used the next piece of wood to push the first one in. BUT this guy was leaning into the chipper trying to get the wheels to grab a fireplace length piece of wood! Hope he trusts his buddy holding that bar.
I admit I've done it myself , but no more.

I'm probably gonna get flawed by Nickrosis for this, but this
company is just too much.

http://www.tradfallarlaget.com/klattring.htm
They call themselves "trädfällarlaget" - "the tree chopping team"
and work in my area.

http://www.petersodling.se/kurser.htm
This guy arranges lessons in drilling holes in the trunk to
"air out all rot and make the trees healthy" and yeah
you should put worms in the ground cause they make
tunnels so that sunlight reaches the root.

I believe talking bs behind the backs of competitors is unprofessional, but letting out a little steam every once in a
while does no harm.

Well Hillbilly, at least in SOME of the pics they're wearing PPE. And I LOVE those cute little Stubbfrassners.

I don't know the lingo, so I'm a bit confused by that pic of the four of them sitting on a dock staring at a sailboat. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Hillbilly,
They have some hilarious 'Skylift' pictures. Why would you need THREE men in the lift? Who is working the ground? I guess riding in the bucket is too much fun for just one man, bring the whole crew!

And why is this fool in a tree?
http://www.tradfallarlaget.com/beskarning.htm
He is dressed for a walk in the park, not climbing! I looked for a while, and could not find a single thing he is doing right. No gear, no PPE, freeclimbing in the top of a tree!

Brett, the stubbfresseners are small "because bigger ones
would probably ruin the garden".
The thing with the sailboatspotting beats me, as well as the pic
of their macho jeep driving around in a foreign desert !?

Brian, they promise that there will always be 3 ppl in their
bucket truck, one driving, one chopping, one dropping, the more the merrier I guess.
In the pic of the guy freeclimbing the maple it says:
"We prune everyting from small fruittrees to mature oak",
what they do to mature oaks, I rather not know.

My favortite pic is the one under "Klättiring" - "Climbing"
with the guy sitting on the birch branch he's just about to
cut with his husky's. Left hand hand held perfectly for a good
kickback hit in the forehead.
Under the pic. it says:
"Sometimes there ain't enough room to fit a bucket truck (with 3 ppl in it) then we have to climb. Climbing is done by professional climbers with advanced PPE".
Yeah, the proffesional climber in the tree - the advanced PPE at the trunk base.
Luckily I don't have to work for them and hopefully they don't hurt themselves too much.

In a pic where they are notching and felling a tree it looks like some kind of jack behind them, what is that??
Greg

laughing.gif
You should do tree comedy, Hillbilly! Your commentary is great.

Nickrosis

dmm
if you use the arrows below the pic, the next one show's that piece attched to the crane. but why is it going down instead of going up as he cuts it? the saw is on a lanyard but why did he let go of it?:confused:

I may be wrong, but shouldn't the sling have been higher, to pick the piece more or less straight off the top? Or have I been doing it wrong....

Sling should be at the top. KF got it right when he saw the piece being lowered with the crane instead of picked off. Crazy!!

And with a crane that size, unless it is at full side extension, (and it does kind of look that way), maybe he could have picked bigger pieces.

Amazing what some companies do, they dont have too much sense or training... and then to put such stuff on their website. OSHA would salivate over stuff like that, eh?

Only one lanyard is something a lot of people still use. I still am guilty occasionally...

Wait til i post pics from today's tree!! A maple so dead that we had to string a tight line through it, to two adjacent trees, for lifeline and to suspend/lower the four leaders. Totally over the carport... used the chipper winch to get them clear. I'll start a new thread when i get a chance.

Here's one pic, but it will need me to draw in the lines so you can see the rigging. Not very good pics, too much other greenerey around...

Latest posts

Back