More juice in the MS261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a Mikita 520 I , 52cc, around 10.4 lbs., 18” with 3/8 LP, cuts like a light stick. MM is next.

Hi

After getting lost in the forum, google and youtube jungle for the past 3hours my brain is absolutely fryed and i dont know where im at anymore:cold:
Anyhow i want some more juice in the old 261.
Its a work saw so im not after 100hp gain and red glowing exhaust but alitle more umpf would be nice.
Running a 20" bar with 3/8.

Reading something about it not responding so well to porting? is it a waste?
So is removing gasket, MM and timing a good way to go on these saws?

Thanks in advance.

Now i need fresh air and a drink :clap:o_O
The 261 is a limbing saw, .325 16” bar (max 18”) cutting 12” rounds is where it’s happy.

Said I'd get back to you when I'd completed my mods.
Well a muffler mod to 75% of exhaust port size led to a 10% improvement in power.
The base gasket delete, led to a 23th squish and a 15% increase in compression.
The power (including MM) was up 47%. So very worthwhile.

This was using the same bar, same chain and same glued together 2x3" timbers.
Feels very different with lots more torque.

I still prefer to use it with an 18" bar but certainly if you must use a 20" bar then the gains from a MM and base gasket delete seem worthwhile. Took about an hour to do the base gasket and I'm a beginner so not too big an investment in time.

Nice! 47% gains is impressive.
What chain are you using?

I dont need the 20", but it looks cool and its handy cause the saw has an all-round use.
But as an non modded saw its to much.

I didnt get a new saw as people suggested, but took it apart and modded it.
Gasket delete, muffler mod, ported intake and exhaust, strato delete.

Waiting on some parts and should get a startup this weekend.

Using 3/8 1.6mm on an 18" generally. It certainly runs like a different saw with the changes as its got a lot more torque. Sure it would be even more impressive on the .325 but most of my other bigger saws run 3/8 full size.

Latest posts

Back