MS261 vs 034 AV Super for First Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for that link. That's a different one than i saw before, but looks promising. I'll check into it.

Ok, here's another thing to throw into the mix. Since several folks are saying that you can't stick around here with only 1 saw for very long....I've also found a 361 and an 044 (don't think it's mag/super etc.) for the same price (as each other, a little more than the 034 Super linked above) Is there good reason for me to forget the 034 Super and spring for an 044, then grab a smaller 50 cc saw down the road? Is the regular 044 version worth getting for the weight/power or should I hold out for a Mag or 046 or something if I were to go the 2 saw route?

Thanks again guys...this gets confusing the more I think about it and I appreciate all the patience and help I'm getting in this thread. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks for the link above. That's a different one than I was referencing earlier, but is priced lower. I'll check into it.

Ok, now to make things even more complicated...since so many folks are saying that you can't stick around here too long with just one saw...I've found a 361 and an 044 for sale (same seller, same price as each other) that are a little more than the 034 Super linked above. Is there good reasons for me to forget the 034 Super and spring for the 044, then pick up a smaller saw later on?

Looks like an 044 weighs around 13# vs 12# for an 034. I'm a young guy and can probably handle the extra weight if those 10 cc s will make a difference in bucking up large stuff. Is the regular 044 worth getting or is it better to hold out for a Mag or 046 for that power/weight? Is this overkill for my needs?

Thanks for all the answers so far...I appreciate the patience and good advice! :msp_thumbup:

If I were in your position...I would go and look at the 361 and the 044 and run them to compare.
Then I would buy the better of the two or the one I liked the best by handling..cutting..etc.

Then I would save up and buy a re-built 346xp from member "nmurph" for about $300.
(He re-builds and sells them all the time and mm's them and stands behind his work..!!)

You really need to have two saws in case one needs repair or you get one of them "pinched" in a cut.
(Both of these scenarios will happen sooner or later..so be prepared..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Personally, I'd go with the 261. My dad has one and it's screams! I have a 362 to compare it to and honestly I wouldn't be disappointed if a 261 was all I ever used for firewood if it came down to it. Plus it sips fuel, light weight, and just flat out runs!

I know a lot of guys recommend the 034, but it is older and like some have said you may get into more than you'd like once you get it home and look over the "like new condition"... Plus the 261 will get you a 2 year warranty.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the link above. That's a different one than I was referencing earlier, but is priced lower. I'll check into it.

Ok, now to make things even more complicated...since so many folks are saying that you can't stick around here too long with just one saw...I've found a 361 and an 044 for sale (same seller, same price as each other) that are a little more than the 034 Super linked above. Is there good reasons for me to forget the 034 Super and spring for the 044, then pick up a smaller saw later on?

Looks like an 044 weighs around 13# vs 12# for an 034. I'm a young guy and can probably handle the extra weight if those 10 cc s will make a difference in bucking up large stuff. Is the regular 044 worth getting or is it better to hold out for a Mag or 046 for that power/weight? Is this overkill for my needs?

Thanks for all the answers so far...I appreciate the patience and good advice! :msp_thumbup:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the 361 has a much better AV system than the 034S, 036 and 044, and basically is a better designed saw - but of course smaller than the 044. It depends on what you need.

I have an 026 , 346 and use them a fair bit but for the type of cutting I do I can get more wood on the ground with my 361's and I'm sure the Husky 357/562 would do the same , I have an 034 super and a 2171/372 but run them in wood from 12'' and up . I usually limb with the saw that I fell with .
In the work I do and typical wood size I cut the 361 with 16'' is my goto saw , If you're only going to get one saw and want something you can run all day and your average wood is 18'' and down , get a 60cc saw and have no regrets and look for other saws later , the FIL blocks up 6 full cord per year every year with his 150 $$ 40cc McCullough/Wildthing and is happy .
That 361/044 would be a real nice combo if you can afford it .
I hope that was as clear as mud LOL .

A 60cc saw will sit unused much of the time if you have a good 50cc and a 70cc.

Correct. A 50cc and 70cc is the ultimate 2-saw plan. Bars from 16 to 28 inches with ease, and the 70cc saws will pull bars up to about 32 inches using skip chain.

My original 2-saw plan was the 026 and MS460, and that still would do EVERYTHING I need to do, from firewood to felling big trees.

Funny, though. I seem to have 5 more saws than that original 2-saw plan. :D :D

But that doesn't mean it has to happen to you. Buy a 50cc and 70cc class saw and RUN LIKE THE WIND FROM ARBORISTSITE!!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go with the 261. My dad has one and it's screams! .....

That saw has about the same power as the 346xp, but it is a lot more clumcy to handle, and doesn't have a really good throttle responce. It also is bulky and heavy for a 50cc saw. Then there is the 550xp (it is out here), that may open the difference (in Huskys favor) a bit more...

That saw has about the same power as the 346xp, but it is a lot more clumcy to handle, and doesn't have a really good throttle responce. It also is bulky and heavy for a 50cc saw. Then there is the 550xp (it is out here), that may open the difference (in Huskys favor) a bit more...

Haven't had any trouble handling, I run the saw, it doesn't run me... Don't agree with it being bulky either, feels light and nimble to me....put a husky sticker on it and I'm sure your opinion would change.

As the old saying about opinions goes.

That saw has about the same power as the 346xp, but it is a lot more clumcy to handle, and doesn't have a really good throttle responce. It also is bulky and heavy for a 50cc saw.

I have now had the opportunity to run both during a full day's cutting. The 346 does have a slightly faster throttle response. Out doing the actual work, the weight difference and handling weren't factors I noticed, because I'm too busy concentrating on the work to bother much with fine grit. Differences on paper often disappear (or become unimportant) when the chain hits the wood for a long day's labor.

FWIW, I'll take my 026 over either of the aforementioned models. Just feels better in my hands than the other two.

All that being said, it really doesn't matter which brand you choose among the top ones. Solid 50cc and 70cc class saws from any of the big boys are excellent tools that will last many, many years if properly used and maintained. So pay no attention to Ford/Chevy/Dodge wars. Out where it really matters, differences between brands are generally smaller rather than larger, and in a forum full of chainsaw freaks, it's no surprise that minor differences get blown up big. :)

Haven't had any trouble handling, I run the saw, it doesn't run me... Don't agree with it being bulky either, feels light and nimble to me....put a husky sticker on it and I'm sure your opinion would change.

As the old saying about opinions goes.

This isn't about trouble or large differences, and if you are used to larger saws, the differences between the better 50cc saws may not be very apparent.
However, they will if 50cc saws are what you mainly use, and limbing trees is a major part of the cutting - then the differences in handling and trigger response will be major factors, like here. When cutting logs into firewood length, or when felling, it doesn't matter much - but a fast trigger response is allways more fun than a slow one! :givebeer:

My brother and I spent the day felling and bucking 6-16" oak. The 346 is definitely a better handling saw and as ST says, a snappier revver. Powerwise, they are very close. I also used the 346NE I have in the classifieds, it was good bit stronger than the 261 or stock 346.

Stihl/Husqvarna/Dolmar

I'm not sure I'd stick with just Stihl, they make a great saw, don't get me wrong, I have friends that have been running their dad's Stihls, and still are running their dad's Stihls... I've been running Husqvarna and (most recently) Dolmar. I'd do some searches here and get some imput. I agree with some of the earlier posts, a 50cc and 70cc saw are a great combination. I run a Husqvarna 346XP and love it, I also have a new found fondness with my Dolmar 5100S. I'm running an 18" on the Husky, and a 20" on the Dolmar, both running full chisel, semi-skip 3/8 Stihl chain. Both of these saws rip through wood, the Husky is a little easier to handle, absolutly my "go-to" saw. If I were in your shoes, I'd start looking for a selection of saws, if you like Stihl, I'd begin with the 261, Husky - 346XP, Dolmar - 5100S or 5105. But this is where I'd begin. I owned an 034 (not a super), and it was my sole firewood was last winter sporting a 20" bar, it was an awesome saw. I kinda regret selling, but certainly a great saw for firewood.
I'd watch ebay and craig's list for likely candidates, hit the google search window with that saw followed by "arboristsite", and read from there.
Just my 2 cents...
Most importantly: Have fun getting a saw, try a few out, and figure out what you like... Don't forget the importance of the local dealer, can't support that enough either.
Good luck and have fun.

Thanks again guys. I'm taking a little ride in the morning to check out the 361 and the 044. If he still has both, I'll play with both of em and take home whichever ones feels right (same price.) I have a feeling if the 044 checks out and doesn't seem like too much of a beast compared to the 361, then that's what I'll get for now. Both have 20" b/c.

I like this idea (couple of you have suggested it thus far) of a big 70cc and picking up a nmurph-ed 346 down the road. I have no brand allegiance, really, but I really like how I've been treated at the Stihl dealer here in town (1 mile from my house) and that will be important to me if I run into any problems that are over my head. I must admit that I was certainly drooling over the 346ne in the classifieds earlier this week.

This thread has been fun. I'll update when I get back, hopefully with some pics if I can find the camera.

Most importantly: Have fun getting a saw, try a few out, and figure out what you like... Don't forget the importance of the local dealer, can't support that enough either.
Good luck and have fun.

Yep, but there are a lot of crappy dealers around, some doesn't even know that they need to set the carbs right at the point of sale, and ask the costumer to come back for a (free) retune after some tanks of fuel.....:msp_mad:

I know nothing about a Husky 346 as I have never seen one, let alone run one, so I will not comment on its performance. I do have a 261 and like it, it has much more torque than my 260. I did notice the throttle response was not as good as I liked so I did a muffler modification and that seems to have taken care of the problem. I set it at about 13,800 and it wears a 18" .325. Has anyone else notice the muffler mod takes care of the throttle response issue?

Steve

Thanks again guys. I'm taking a little ride in the morning to check out the 361 and the 044. If he still has both, I'll play with both of em and take home whichever ones feels right (same price.) I have a feeling if the 044 checks out and doesn't seem like too much of a beast compared to the 361, then that's what I'll get for now. Both have 20" b/c.

I like this idea (couple of you have suggested it thus far) of a big 70cc and picking up a nmurph-ed 346 down the road. I have no brand allegiance, really, but I really like how I've been treated at the Stihl dealer here in town (1 mile from my house) and that will be important to me if I run into any problems that are over my head. I must admit that I was certainly drooling over the 346ne in the classifieds earlier this week.

This thread has been fun. I'll update when I get back, hopefully with some pics if I can find the camera.

Both of those saws are great saws. The 044 would be my choice as long as it's in good shape. With the price being the same, it leads me to believe that the 044 may not be in as nice shape as the 361. I would want to pull the mufflers on both to see the cylinders. The 044 will not weigh no more than a pound or so more than the 361. They're really nimble for 70cc.
I think you will like the feel of both saws. If you do, and the 044 is in nice shape, then you couldnt go wrong with it.
Then it'll be time to save up for a 346 or 261. Even a 260. The 260 is very light and nimble and also has good power. Can probably be had cheaper then the 261 or 346.

I live in Boone. Howdy, neighbor :msp_thumbup:

Will hello there neighbor,
I saw those saw you are talking about on craigslist. I think they are over priced high for there age,but the ms361 is in better shape according to the pics. I am thinking of selling my ms261 if you were intersested. I am going to use my ms440 as my little saw.
trevor

Back