MS261 vs 034 AV Super for First Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answering your question about what length bar is best on 036PRO, I'd say 24" would be the max. It cuts well in soft wood, but is a bit slow in oak. I'd recommend sticking to a 20" bar for most cutting.

Philbo
You got a heck of a deal here. These guys know what they are talking about and they gave good, honest opinions and stayed on topic. Not a trace of the Husky-verses-Stihl war. Thanks gentlemen.

Well, if the 346xp won't do it, the 261 won't either - and the 261 handles like a larger saw than it is.

That aside, it looks like you will be best off with the 034S, as you don't have a larger saw already. :msp_wink:

when i had only 1 saw it was a 034 av ,it did all my chores i needed to for a few years till i found this site.......... ,i ran 20 and a 28 inch bar ,it worked fine with either bar for me ,i just recently traded it off ,the new owner seems very happy with the power of it

Excellent feedback from everyone. Thanks guys. This is exactly the type of discussion I was looking for in this thread.

The 034 Super listing was pulled, so it looks like it sold (today) Couldn't have gone and looked at it until this weekend anyway. Oh well. I suppose the 036 PRO for less money is just about the same thing. I may be able to swing a partial trade on that one as well...just have to drive a bit to go see it.

Is there anything I can be looking for beyond the obvious (chain brake functions, oiler functions, not too beat up, starts reliably) when evaluating a saw of this age? I'm pretty new to this game, so I may just have to go on instinct and feel it out.

I also like the advice given to stretch the budget and buy a new 60cc w/ warranty, then be on the lookout for smaller and bigger used saws as the come up. Great advice that I'm not against, I would just have to wait a while longer to really do that, and I need to start cutting soon! Might be the safest choice though.

I like the idea of a 3 saw plan. 45-50 cc, 60cc, 70+ cc. Damnit, you guys are already killing me with CAS and I just got here...

Thanks again

I like the idea of a 3 saw plan. 45-50 cc, 60cc, 70+ cc. Damnit, you guys are already killing me with CAS and I just got here...

Thanks again

HMMM; I have 1 - 40cc; 4 - 50cc and 1 - 60cc saw's now

I'm working on getting a 70cc saw next

Oh and that 261 is a fine wood cutter; I've ran up to a 3/8 20" bar on mine (biggest bar I own) and it run's just fine

There is a member here that run's a 25" bar on his 261 :) some guys from downunder

MS 261 25 b&c 21 1/2" block - YouTube

Pull the spark plug and look at the cylinder wall with a flash light. Make sure there is no scoring. Replace the plug. Pick up the saw by the starter rope. It should ratchet down very slowly.

Last edited:
i have a 036 pro, its basicly a 034 with some updates ,if i had to pick ,id pick the 036 over the 034 ,has a bigger air filter ,and side chain adjuster ,but like a couple others have said ,once i got the 70cc bug it just sits now

Well, if the 346xp won't do it, the 261 won't either - and the 261 handles like a larger saw than it is.

That aside, it looks like you will be best off with the 034S, as you don't have a larger saw already. :msp_wink:

What book did you read that in??

A new 361/362 is a bit out of my budget at this point. Even though that might be the wisest choice as far as reliability (up front) and warranty. Thanks though!

nmurph: you would choose a MM-ed 346 over an 036 Pro even for bucking larger hardwood?

What makes the 036 "Pro"? Decomp valve? Also, what's the longest bar you can put on an 036 reliably? I think 20" would be good for me, but I'm just curious.

Where are you in the nc mtns, if close to boone, you can run my ms261
trevor

I also like the advice given to stretch the budget and buy a new 60cc w/ warranty, then be on the lookout for smaller and bigger used saws as the come up. Great advice that I'm not against, I would just have to wait a while longer to really do that, and I need to start cutting soon! Might be the safest choice though.

Thanks again

I really think a 2 saw plan would work real good for you. The tough constraint you gave us at the start was that you would be starting out with one saw. The middle saw in a 3 saw plan will get less and less use, unless you go real big on the top side. If the budget would handle 2 saws, buy the new 261/346, or a known good used one. Then hunt down the big saw, they are out there, but hard to find at a lower price point. A 50cc will cut a lot of firewood, just not big stuff fast.

My 50cc saw is the one that never gets used. Not enough power for me to fool with. My 361 was my go to saw for most everything. I replaced it with a 70cc saw and am even more happy. I just like a 60cc saw better than a 50cc saw though. The weight difference is'nt worth the loss in power to me.

A good two saw plan IMO is a 361 and 460. :rock:

I will say that my work is most likely different than yours OP. I fell trees and thats pretty much it. They just get moved and piled up after I cut them down. I can at least do some falling with a 60cc saw though. Falling with a 50cc saw is a waste of time and just aint no fun.

Last edited:
My 50cc saw is the one that never gets used. Not enough power for me to fool with. My 361 was my go to saw for most everything. I replaced it with a 70cc saw and am even more happy. I just like a 60cc saw better than a 50cc saw though. The weight difference is'nt worth the loss in power to me.

You just haven't had the right 50cc saw yet:)

I grab a 50cc saw first before any saw :)

90% of the time everyone goes for there bigger saw's to fall the tree's someone has to limb and buck them up :)

I grab a 50cc saw first before any saw :)

90% of the time everyone goes for there bigger saw's to fall the tree's someone has to limb and buck them up :)

50CC saw wiill squeal in 16" hardwood with a 16" bar

60CC saw will do the same with a 20" bar

70CC saw will do the same w/25" bar

Put some ump into it and see how they cut!

Want run a 30" bar? get 85-90 CC.

Anyway, ONE saw for all needs of small firewood, get the 034S or a 036. Light as as a 036i s , it handles MUCH better, and WAY more power. Will beat the #### of a 0260/260

Last edited:
You realize if you stick around here, that just one saw can't happen.

Before I came here, I had one saw, a new 034 super, and it did everything I needed it to do, I really didn't know any better. It came with a 16" bar, and wanted a 20, but the dealer only had an 18 at the time, and that is what I got as a second bar. The only time that 18" bar got used was to fell a couple of trees that the 16 wouldn't reach. Wish I had waited for the 20, instead of buying the 18. I still use that saw 26 years later, and does it's share of the limbing, but now own 4 saws, an 046 for the big stuff, an 021 for the little stuff, and a craftsman/redmax 40cc for limbing and brush work. The two small saws would be optional for firewood though.

I know you came in here asking for advice about new 50cc vrs used 60cc, but here is what I would advise (and would do if I were to do it over again with the knowledge I have now).

If I were for sure going to stick with one saw only for quite a while, stretch your budget and buy a new 60cc saw, 16 and 20 bar instead of the 261. It will do almost everything you ask it to do, the big stuff a little slow, but the saw is light enough to use all day when you need to. If wood is your only source of heat, you need a good saw, and new comes with a warranty.

If you see additional saws in the next year or so, and don't mind running used, I would be buying that used 034, or better yet a used 026/260/261 or (346/353), then be on the serious hunt for a used big saw to buck those big trees you are bound to find as a scrounger. I have found that my 034 is really more saw than I need for most limbing, and is slow for the real big stuff.

Yep, one new saw is good, but a pack of used saws is gooder.

Man,I don't hardly use a chainsaw but now I'm looking for stuff to cut to justify it. I'm eventually gonna get one of Nmurphs creations.

Latest posts

Back