MS261 vs 034 AV Super for First Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy arbor-folk! This is my first post on this fine forum, but I've been searching and reading on it for a couple of months now. Great site, friendly and helpful folks, and a wealth of knowledge about wood and saws!

I realize that the "x saw -vs- y saw" has been hashed out a lot on this site and maybe some folks are tired of it, but I thought I'd post this just to get some more experienced opinions. A little background first...I'm a lightweight (so far) compared to most of you guys...

I've never owned my own chainsaw. Always used my dad's, borrowed from friends, or used the "house saw" if I was doing some work clean-up/tree work for someone. I've used plenty of saws, but never with any real sense of how to properly maintain them. Now I've got a family and live in a house with two hungry wood stoves and am trying my best to be prepared for the winters to come. Not my first rodeo with maintaining stoves throughout the winter, but relatively new to doing alone as the head of household. I'm totally prepared and excited about maintaining a saw, whatever I end up getting. I'm confident that I can fix issues that come up with the help of a forum like this, but I'm not really a mechanic by nature.

Location: Mountains of Western NC. Normally gets pretty cold, windy and somewhat snowy here, although last winter was a fluke. We moved in mid-winter and went through about 2 cords (conservatively) in mild weather for about 3 months. I estimate more like 6+ for next winter from late fall through spring, and will also be helping some friends out with cutting wood for their stove. I don't own property (around here) to harvest wood from, but am already making plans to get out on friends' properties and harvest wood in exchange for whatever they want/need and ads come up on CL frequently for free access to harvest firewood.

I really like burning black locust because it's hotter, burns longer (oak is good here too), and makes better coals than anything else I've used, which isn't really a whole lot. There's also a good bit of locust that's already dead (already down and still standing) around this area that died 5+ years ago that people are still harvesting and burning. I like oak too, but it seems to take longer to season than the locust that almost seems seasoned right after you cut it. People say that locust is hard on chains for various reasons, but this is my firewood of choice, if I can get it. Oak #2. Anything else worthy that I should look out for. I don't bother messing with softwoods for heating..waste of time and energy around here, when it's really cold.

Anyway, enough about me and wood. I've read enough about the MS261 to make me really drool over this saw. Strong preference for this one (for all the reasons that people have beat to death on this site) light weight, good power to weight ratio, well-designed air filter. I would plan to run this with an 18" probably.

There is a 034 AV Super that came up a little while back on the local Craigslist that had me considering it. New bar and chain (not sure what size), looks quite clean, and is advertised to be in "like new condition for it's age" which, I'm guessing is 15-20 years old? A couple hundred less than a new 261. Looks like a 034 super is very similar to an 036, which looks to be a very well regarded saw.

A used 261 is also a very viable option for me, but its' a matter of finding one in a timely manner.

I guess my question real question is this...If you were using this saw mostly for firewood harvesting (limbing, bucking, felling-but not yet, need more practice and confidence) the wood i mentioned earlier of unknown/various sizes...what would you choose and why? Lets just say that this is going to be my only saw for the season, even though that may be untrue, but that's what I'm aiming for. Price is certainly a factor, but I'm not afraid to spend more for an all-around better saw, up to a certain point.

Pros and cons of each saw and comparisons from people that have actually used both for firewood harvesting is a huge plus. These aren't the only saws I would consider, they just are available to me immediately and seems like great options. Considered a spuced-up 346xp, but for some reason I feel like it would leave me wanting more if it was buried in a big oak log. I bet it's a killer limbing saw though. My good friend has a MS290 (that I've used) but it just seems like a pig compared to what I could get for similar $.

Apologies for the long-winded post. Really enjoying this site and all that it has to offer!

-Philbo

First off, welcome! :D

I have the forerunner of the 261, the 026, and I also have the 034 Super. And I also have saws ranging from 70 to 90 cc. I cut with them all, and it ranges from arborist work to firewood. If it came down to a single saw among them, it would be the 034S, because the 60cc is the most versatile firewood saw in the world.

Now, I've heard that the MS261 can turn sinners into saints and losers into winners, and I don't doubt it, but no matter how good it is, it isn't better than its displacement.

I'll stick with the 60cc class for all-around utility. Anywhere from a 16 to a 20 inch bar, and a 25-inch bar in a pinch, especially when using skip chain. The 034S was the forerunner of the 036/360/361, and if it is in good condition as indicated, save the couple hundo and go with the 60cc. A lightly used pro saw such as the 034S, even though it's 20 years old, will deliver many years of excellent service if properly maintained. I got mine for about $200. Not sure what the person is asking for the 261. Some people think those 261s are worth their weight in gold, but I've yet to see a saw that good. :D

Just IMO. :)

Last edited:
A 261 will cut circles around a 260. It's a whole new animal. It really is stronger than it's size would suggest. With that said though, I'd want at least a 60cc saw for the use you're describing. What size is most of the wood you're cutting? What size bar do you intend to run?

034 would be my choice

"there is no replacement for displacement"
We used to do the same thing, and there was only one "real" saw. right about 60cc or so.
I would like the 261 as well.... but if you can handle the 034, go for it.

A 261 will cut circles around a 260.

Yup, many here have said that, and I'm willing to believe it. I've also been told by several folks that the 260 is weaker than the 026 that predated it. Would like to see how the 026 stacks up against the 261, since the 260 is a dog.

But that's not the important thing here, as already mentioned, just a fun aside for a day with idle time to spare. :)

One thing worth noting is that if the OP picks up a new 261, he has a good warranty. The only warranty on a used 034S is experience and savvy.

Another vote for the 034. If you have a lead on a 034S in really good shape for I'm guessing 350 bucks or so then grab it up.

I havent ran a 261 yet but I've ran many Husky 346s. The 261 may have a slight edge in power over a 346, but an 034S will outrun a 346 pretty easily. I would say that the 034 is very close to the 261 weight-wise also. They will run right with an 036 and are lighter. I think it's one of the best 60cc saws ever made.

The 034S is one of my favorite saws. If you don't get it let me know where it's at and I'll buy it.You heard that guys....DIBS! :msp_tongue:

About the wood, I like Locust alot too and also think it's about the best. Some other good ones are Hedgeapple, Oak, and Ashe . Wild cherry and Maple burns good also when it's cured awhile.

Last edited:
Big Phil welcome!
Just make life easy and go with the 261, it will rip thru anything your going to cut
and put a smile on your face at the same time...:biggrin:

Yup, many here have said that, and I'm willing to believe it. I've also been told by several folks that the 260 is weaker than the 026 that predated it. Would like to see how the 026 stacks up against the 261, since the 260 is a dog.

But that's not the important thing here, as already mentioned, just a fun aside for a day with idle time to spare. :)

One thing worth noting is that if the OP picks up a new 261, he has a good warranty. The only warranty on a used 034S is experience and savvy.

Or look into the new Echo cs-500p, it cuts any locus or hedge that I have thrown at it! Not your average Echo it's built in Japan and everyone knows how well the Japanese build engines. Not to mention it is much cheaper then a 261. Plus a 5 year warranty which allot of people will question on this site.

For the same price a 034 gets, I'd get a 036PRO. A little newer and parts etc... might be easier to obtain. Not sure about comparing them weight to power. Probably too close to call.

Go with the 034 super since they're about the same weight. I had a Poulan 3700 which is a old school 60cc saw like the 034 and it would out cut my MM 026 and 346NE by a good deal.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys!

A lot of votes for the 034 Super. I kinda figured that might happen.

Let's throw another wrench into the system...there's an 036 Pro also perhaps available for cheaper than the 034 Super. Not sure if it's still available, but would that be the best choice so far? 18" bar on it I think. Is the weight difference going to be negligible? I can't find weight specs on the 034 Super.

As far as sizes of wood I plan to cut, I'm really not sure. Anything under 3'? Not really sure yet.

For the same price a 034 gets, I'd get a 036PRO. A little newer and parts etc... might be easier to obtain. Not sure about comparing them weight to power. Probably too close to call.

The 034S and 036 are essentially the same saw.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses guys!

A lot of votes for the 034 Super. I kinda figured that might happen.

Let's throw another wrench into the system...there's an 036 Pro also perhaps available for cheaper than the 034 Super. Not sure if it's still available, but would that be the best choice so far? 18" bar on it I think. Is the weight difference going to be negligible? I can't find weight specs on the 034 Super.

As far as sizes of wood I plan to cut, I'm really not sure. Anything under 3'? Not really sure yet.

The 034S is about 12lbs 4oz, the 261 is about 11lbs 10oz. These are actual weight, not the propaganda from the manufacturers.

I have several 036's, a 261, and beaucoup 346's. I would chose the 036 over the 261. I would take a 036 over a stock 346 if I only had one saw. I would take a MM346 over any, including the 361 and 362 (I also have both).

For a single saw bw the 261 and 034S/036, I would vote for the 034S or 036.

Last edited:
Get the 261, you will have a light, new saw with a full warranty. Then keep your eyes open for a used 70cc saw for felling and bucking big stuff. If you can only have one saw then go with a 60cc saw like a 361 or 362

Steve

A new 361/362 is a bit out of my budget at this point. Even though that might be the wisest choice as far as reliability (up front) and warranty. Thanks though!

nmurph: you would choose a MM-ed 346 over an 036 Pro even for bucking larger hardwood?

What makes the 036 "Pro"? Decomp valve? Also, what's the longest bar you can put on an 036 reliably? I think 20" would be good for me, but I'm just curious.

A MM346 will handle 14-16" hardwood pretty well. A 036 might be a little faster in wood that size, but it isn't as nimble for the smaller stuff. A 036 will pull a 20" bar well with 3/8" chain.

When I bought my first 346, I ran it about 10 minutes bf I muff modded it. I went back to the same 10-12" dried water oak log and compared it to my 361 with the same bar and chain. The cut times were identical.

I think a decomp is the only exclusive difference bw a regular 036 and a pro version. I think some early version of the non-pro 036 did not have an adjustable oiler, but later non-pro versions did. Maybe someone else can clarify this for you.

You realize if you stick around here, that just one saw can't happen.

Before I came here, I had one saw, a new 034 super, and it did everything I needed it to do, I really didn't know any better. It came with a 16" bar, and wanted a 20, but the dealer only had an 18 at the time, and that is what I got as a second bar. The only time that 18" bar got used was to fell a couple of trees that the 16 wouldn't reach. Wish I had waited for the 20, instead of buying the 18. I still use that saw 26 years later, and does it's share of the limbing, but now own 4 saws, an 046 for the big stuff, an 021 for the little stuff, and a craftsman/redmax 40cc for limbing and brush work. The two small saws would be optional for firewood though.

I know you came in here asking for advice about new 50cc vrs used 60cc, but here is what I would advise (and would do if I were to do it over again with the knowledge I have now).

If I were for sure going to stick with one saw only for quite a while, stretch your budget and buy a new 60cc saw, 16 and 20 bar instead of the 261. It will do almost everything you ask it to do, the big stuff a little slow, but the saw is light enough to use all day when you need to. If wood is your only source of heat, you need a good saw, and new comes with a warranty.

If you see additional saws in the next year or so, and don't mind running used, I would be buying that used 034, or better yet a used 026/260/261 or (346/353), then be on the serious hunt for a used big saw to buck those big trees you are bound to find as a scrounger. I have found that my 034 is really more saw than I need for most limbing, and is slow for the real big stuff.

Yep, one new saw is good, but a pack of used saws is gooder.

...If you see additional saws in the next year or so, and don't mind running used, I would be buying that used 034, or better yet a used 026/260/261 or (346/353), then be on the serious hunt for a used big saw to buck those big trees you are bound to find as a scrounger. I have found that my 034 is really more saw than I need for most limbing, and is slow for the real big stuff.

Yep, one new saw is good, but a pack of used saws is gooder.

Well put.

All of the saws discussed here are great saws. If you're only going to have one saw, then skip the 50cc saws. Otherwise, do as stated above the and buy the 261. Then keep your eyes open for a 440/460/372/7900....

Back