MS261 vs 034 AV Super for First Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Play with the low first. You will need to go back and forth between idle and low screw. You need a happy medium between stalling (rich) and racing (lean/chain spinning). A poorly adjusted low can be compensated with the idle screw, but thats not the right way to do things. If chain spins when carb is right you need to inspect your clutch parts.

Then go to high, have a clean air filter, sharp chain and a big piece of wood. Initial adjustment is just a bit too rich out of the cut so it "misses" at WOT and does not rev out at WOT (be careful here if it is too lean to start with). Then go into a big cut, if it cleans up in the cut you are very close. If it still "misses" lean out slowly until it cleans up in the cut.

If throttling up at this point causes a bog, fatten up (richen) the low a bit, may have to play with idle again.

Now you are ready to fine tune the high in big wood, a fine line between bogging (rich) and ripping (just right). Check you plug after a 1/2 tank of fuel when you think things are right

P.S. I don't have a tach, but my saws run good:msp_biggrin:

Read the post above if you want to tune your carb correctly. Thats exactly how I'd explain it.

Just make sure you go through the saw and check the lines and intake boot, anything rubber, for holes. Air leaks are not your friend.

The 044 is a really good saw. I think it'll really surprise you if it's running good.

Theres a few good videos floating around on carb tuning that you should watch. Carb tuning is easy if you just get an ear for the engine. You should open that muffler up too while your at it. :rock:

Latest posts

Back