More power from your ms200t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim1NZ

Jim1NZ

ArboristSite Guru
Hey all, i have a ms200t thats about 3 months old, it goes fine but i want MORE POWER. Is it possible?

I have taken the baffles out which made a good difference, what about better spark plug or filter or something???

PS i probably should have put this in the chainsaw forum...

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Jim

Is it tuned right?

Also, hunt around for an old knackered one or a carby off an old knackered one, preferably pre 2000 ... I reckon with all this emisssion crap they've stuffed around with the carbys.

I have an old carby, pre 2000 of an 044 that I keep putting on the newer saws and they run better.

I hear the Americans and Canadians saying there's a difference between the saws they get with regards to pollution crap, maybe you got the American styled saw. :rolleyes:

Jim1NZ

Jim1NZ

ArboristSite Guru
teressa green said:
why bother ,these saws run good in standard form if maintained ,you will invalidate warranty and possibly insurances if an accident occurs ,

Flag the warranty, it expires after 3 months here when used in a commercial situation anyway.

I don't want it to be a V8 chain saw that would make it dangerous or anything, but any extra power or efficiency is a bonus.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
jim

open up the muffler......i took the muffler off and drilled a 3/8 hole where the spark arrestor was then next to that i drilled a 9/16 hole. i then drilled out an al plate to match up. put a piece of screen in and screw it together useing the screw hole from the spark arrestor. i'm happy with the out come.

i'd like to send one to ehp eventually.....

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
MS200T.jpg

That is what I did to mine in December of 03'. Runs great!

You could send it to EHP, or you could play with some light porting and smoothing, but thats playing with fire.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Lumberjack said:
MS200T.jpg

That is what I did to mine in December of 03'. Runs great!

You could send it to EHP, or you could play with some light porting and smoothing, but thats playing with fire.

do you get a free steak with that butcher work :) i'll post a pic of mine later.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
It is a rough opening, but if you look inside the can its mighty smooth, nothing wrong with its function. I could use a flute cutter and smooth up the opening but I have a hard time taking the time to fix what isnt broken.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
Did you forget to get it in the truck and drag it down the road??????:p

attachment.php

If I clean/smoothed up the opening it would look better. Function wise it cant be beat. I perfer my holes the same size as the exhaust port or bigger depending on how smooth and fluid I can get the path from the port to the hole.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
I bet if it made it in the truck instead of behind it, it would last longer:)

Still, you use yours way more than I do mine. I do maybe half that on a busy day. Is that all climbing or some ground work too?

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
i don't do ground work :) ......except to cut up the big wood. thats all climbing or bucket work. those saws take a beating but they hold up fantasic. my only complaint is the muflers cracking. of the 5 part saws in the shop there isn't one spare muffler left. maybe i'll have to get a pipe made when the next muffler cracks.

Lumberjack

Lumberjack

Banned
I knew you didnt, but I didnt know about your saw.
A pipe, straight out the bottom, or to the side, would be SWEET and LOUD. Deff need to retune that.

I have never heard of the muffler cracking problem. Mine is held together with the exhaust port bolts. The other 4 broke (of course) when I seperated the halves.

When you did your mods, did you open the muffler and smooth out the internals?

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
i did not smooth the internals out.....i really need to get a dremmel and play around a bit with timeing the saw before and after. i think the big problem with the mufflers cracking is lack of maintanence on our part. the saws are just beat on day in day out during the season. no one goes over them to tighten up the loose screws and what not. so once one or 2 fall out the muffles crack. so i guess the mufflers cracking is not stihls fault but the users. i did open the muffler when i did the mod because i was changeing the muffler at the time. i put the screen in there since the holes were so big, i didn't want my co workers sticking a bannana in my tail pipe. :p

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
kf_tree said:
i didn't want my co workers sticking a bannana in my tail pipe. :p
we don't want them to either, kf. :alien:

Thanks guys for the post; reminded me to tune up mine, and try some of your tricks. More power in the saw must mean less strain on the joints, and I'm all for that.

Latest posts