more power!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i am power crazy. i have a 346xp (old) and i newer 372xp. i have muffler mods on both saws but i want more power yet. i read a lot about wood ports. i am interested in having both saws with a wood prot but would rather have my saws in more experenced hands then mine when it comes to more technical things. so if people can point me in the right direction to a guy, a shop. to send the saw- cylinders to that would be great! also i have read about taking intake-base gaskits out. what type of improvments should a guy expect from this? i know this improves compression but does it make it so you have to run race gas? witch one is the best to remove and do you replace it with anything elce? for the most part i am looking for any and all ways to improve performance. i use it a lot for felling and bucking. i would like to keep what torqe there is in the saw if possable. a list of mods from simple to complex would be great. thanks

Last edited:
What we used to do with model buggy engines was vary the squish by varying thicknesses of copper gasket under the head. Could this be done with base gaskets - chemical sealant and copper shims to set squish and compression?

Thinking on it, I replaced the base seal on my 266 with a paper gasket which would have sat it down a bit. Maybe that's why it runs so well?

Yep, you can take the base gasket out. Make sure you check the squish, most guys here say .020 is about right. Check it in several places, like N S E W on a compass with short pieces of solder.

sounds good to me but a few questions. by taking the base gaskit out. will i need to run race gas 110 or so? or will 91-93 still work fine? and also by doing this what type of power gain should i expect and where should i expect it in the power band? thanks guys.

sounds good to me but a few questions. by taking the base gaskit out. will i need to run race gas 110 or so? or will 91-93 still work fine? and also by doing this what type of power gain should i expect and where should i expect it in the power band? thanks guys.

Run your normal Premium gas, your gains will come in the troque band.

I can also recommend Dan's work as he modified the same two saws for me about 3 years ago. A 346xp and a 2071 Jonsered which is basically the same as a 372. There was a hugh difference i power especially with the 2071 as it is as fast in 18 - 20" wood as a good running 394 I have.

Although the compression will be higher, the problem with only pulling the base gasket is that it drops the exhaust and transfer ports by the gasket thickness which will detract from top end power. Mid range torque may go up with this change alone. If you raised these ports by the gasket thickness, power would likely increase over the entire range.

This site as well as the ########.com site has a lot more information on saw mods which you can do.

I can also recommend Dan's work as he modified the same two saws for me about 3 years ago. A 346xp and a 2071 Jonsered which is basically the same as a 372. There was a hugh difference i power especially with the 2071 as it is as fast in 18 - 20" wood as a good running 394 I have.

Although the compression will be higher, the problem with only pulling the base gasket is that it drops the exhaust and transfer ports by the gasket thickness which will detract from top end power. Mid range torque may go up with this change alone. If you raised these ports by the gasket thickness, power would likely increase over the entire range.

This site as well as the ########.com site has a lot more information on saw mods which you can do.

when removing the gaskit does a guy have to use a gaskit sealer to seal the cylinder or justg remove the gaskit and call it good? thanks

Last edited:
Back