Most appropriate way to deal with a bad sale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to hijack your thread but what about plating loss below the exhaust port. I took an early model husqvarna 50 and I put a farmerec piston and a caber ring in it. The cylinder was smooth but there was a spot a good bit below the exhaust port with no plating. Does this mean the saw is junk or will it provide someone a reasonable amount of service. It seems to run and cut good. I wouldn't want someone to buy a saw that wouldn't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a moderator of the site I am all for a dishonest seller being named on this site but once the name is posted then the thread will be locked. If a thread is left open after the dishonest seller is named and outed then threads like these just become a lynch mob which degrades the site and actually helps no one. The best way for the buyer and the seller is for them to work out the dealings between them if at all possible but if the dealings reach a dead end, then the seller needs to be named and left at that. IMO.

I hate to hijack your thread but what about plating loss below the exhaust port. I took an early model husqvarna 50 and I put a farmerec piston and a caber ring in it. The cylinder was smooth but there was a spot a good bit below the exhaust port with no plating. Does this mean the saw is junk or will it provide someone a reasonable amount of service. It seems to run and cut good. I wouldn't want someone to buy a saw that wouldn't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If a ring doesn't pass it and its on the small side, you should be just fine.

Well, the seller made good on things by sending me a fairly good jug.

The saw, now that it's sat and dried out a bit, is just covered internally in fine aluminum dust. That's what the "Moly Lube" apparently was.

I'll call this settled and more of a case of ignorance than direct dishonesty by the seller.

Luckily I have the ability to split the case, wash it all out, and add new bearings and seals. Someone else may not though.

So the bottom line here is for the buyer to beware.

Well, the seller made good on things by sending me a fairly good jug.

The saw, now that it's sat and dried out a bit, is just covered internally in fine aluminum dust. That's what the "Moly Lube" apparently was.

I'll call this settled and more of a case of ignorance than direct dishonesty by the seller.

Luckily I have the ability to split the case, wash it all out, and add new bearings and seals. Someone else my not though.

So the bottom line here is for the buyer to beware.

That is good to hear that the seller came through on his promise but as you stated the saw will require a good bit of work to clean it up and make it right. In my extensive experience dealing with saw and machinery in general is that some people selling items just don`t know much about them. I have seen a good many saws that either ran like crap or would only run with constant trigger squeezing but the owner of that saw thought it ran great once spooled up, most of them were just happy the saw would start. From those experiences I never take the sellers words of it runs great to mean very much. It certainly is buyer beware and buying saws or any machine over the net is a crapshoot, I have been on the loosing end a few times myself.

Been down this road before. Bought saw ran great they said. No way in heck it could have with scored piston and tore base gasket.

1. I went ahead and learned from it and rebuilt the saw myself.

2. I wont ever start a thread like this asking folks what should I do. Weak IMO

3. I would expose seller every chance I got though. Like being a thief, bad seller etc etc. Expose the crooked folks.

I see no reason to expose the seller,what did he do wrong? Because he doesn't know enough about saws to know it's not right then he needs drug through the coals? I do this for a living and one thing is absolutely certain buying saws on the Internet, win some lose some.
More often than not it's a win.

Just my opinion, I have made mistakes, all be it usually unknowingly, but would hate to think that someone should have to pay the rest of there life for possibly an honest mistake that he tried to make right. But I am am optimist, and I hope it was unknowingly.

I know that things happen when you're selling chainsaws, you have a saw you think runs good but by the time you get the saw sold might be quite a while from when you ran it last and your fuel mix might be different that the buyer uses and his starting procedure might be different than yours . I've had buyers tell me they couldn't get one started and they send them back to me and they start sometimes on the first pull. Doesn't happen often, thank goodness..

I try to find the good in things instead of the bad,things are easier and more enjoyable when you don't think your constantly being screwed or cheated.

If he did or he didn't,what difference does it make? If he did that's on him but if he didn't and you think he did well that is on you.

Latest posts

Back