Most appropriate way to deal with a bad sale?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody that knows @drf255 knows he does not need the saw, the sellers monies, sympathy, or any thing else we often get here. My guess is its his concern that someone else may run into this "used car salesman" and get taken for funds that may be critical to the buyer or his family.

the one time you rob a bank you become a bank robber, not a "one time" bank robber. word is bond here. man up and stand by your word.

Drf has my vote to call this person out on the carpet. someone intentionally farked with that saw. looks like a fresh set of rings( new dress) on an old whore of a piston and cyl. every once in a while the swamp needs drainin.

Sometimes all the good deals we get more than make up for the odd deal gone bad. Its just a saw and you should be able to find a good P&C somewhere along the line. The 036 is a good saw and is sure worth fixing.I will look thru my stuff and see if I have an 036 P&C which you can have for the cost of shipping which shouldn't be more than 17$.
John

that's a heck of an offer John. you're a good man....no matter what them Canadainiens say

I don't believe it was lean,it's just wore out and the grey is aluminum and plating dust.
Lean doesn't wear plating off,years of use dose. I've taken some pretty decent running saws apart that look a lot like it so to a novice it may be just fine.

I always try to give the benefit of doubt but once the communication stops then doubt becomes certainty.
Maybe he's out of town,maybe he isnt.

Lean a saw out and it leaves the light color in a muffler too. Either way whoever sold this saw is a dirty seller and shouldn't be able to sell saws on the fprums
Yes running lean does turn things grey,so will water in gas but that's plating and piston dust.
Once it wears through the plating it will rapidly remove aluminum.
Damn saws are tough ain't they.

I've talked to al about this and I hope it gets straightened out,he's a good dude and doesn't need the saw or a cylinder,I offered him one too.
It's the idea of being screwed that's the problem,I hope he didn't and it gets taken care of.

Yes running lean does turn things grey,so will water in gas but that's plating and piston dust.

I've talked to al about this and I hope it gets straightened out,he's a good dude and doesn't need the saw or a cylinder,I offered him one too.
It's the idea of being screwed that's the problem,I hope he didn't and it gets taken care of.
I agree. It doesn't matter if he needs it or not, he got screwed

Seller needs to make this right, but I am thinking he won't, as a seller you have to stand behind what you sell, and the saw showing signs of being apart and still sold as running is totally inexcusable! It is not right taking advantage of people, we all expect people on here to be honest and trustworthy and if they are not this sites credibility is lost.

What I would do is just go buy a new piston and not go through all the hassle. In my case I would probably buy an aftermarket for less than $10, clean it all up and have a decent saw. Believe me I've bought saws where the piston and cylinder were much worse than that.

I don't believe it was lean,it's just wore out and the grey is aluminum and plating dust.
Lean doesn't wear plating off,years of use dose. I've taken some pretty decent running saws apart that look a lot like it so to a novice it may be just fine.

I always try to give the benefit of doubt but once the communication stops then doubt becomes certainty.
Maybe he's out of town,maybe he isnt.
J, do you still have that 036 jug that I sent with my saw?

Wanted some opinions on how to proceed with a bad purchase here.

I wish not to mention the members name who sold this saw to me unless it becomes necessary. I'm trying to keep this private between the member and I.

I was able to get the member to respond to the PM by emailing him at his PayPal address. I paid friends and family style as the seller seemed pretty trustworthy and I have never had a bad dealing here or anywhere else.

I also asked if the piston was ok. I got a bad pic. My mistake number one was not asking for more. I have a feeling now that I didn't get more because he knew it was bad.

Saw is an 036. Was listed as "runs and idles great, starts on 3rd pull". The seller responded to my PM one time 3 days ago, but then never resurfaced.

The pics are to follow. The plating in the jug is worn through on the exhaust and intake side. I could not get the saw to start before disassembly. The inside of the saw was covered in a goopy grey oily substance that resembles the Moly lube one uses to install a camshaft.

The base gasket was not OEM and looked relatively new, so someone was in this saw.

I asked the seller to supply me with a usable jug and all would be good. That was 3 days ago.

I may be premature in this posting, but that's why I won't mention the seller by name.

Interested in opinions on how to proceed. I guess I'm lucky in that it's my first bad dealing, and the fix shouldn't be that expensive. It's more of a principle issue here.

Thanks guys.

I will never do a friends and family payment when in doubt pay the few bux out of the sellers pocket for doing the sale as a sale........Sorry to say that's just a prudent thing to do..... if some one has issues with you doing that buy else where....... I will keep reading to see what others have to say....

Anybody that knows @drf255 knows he does not need the saw, the sellers monies, sympathy, or any thing else we often get here. My guess is its his concern that someone else may run into this "used car salesman" and get taken for funds that may be critical to the buyer or his family.

the one time you rob a bank you become a bank robber, not a "one time" bank robber. word is bond here. man up and stand by your word.

Drf has my vote to call this person out on the carpet. someone intentionally farked with that saw. looks like a fresh set of rings( new dress) on an old whore of a piston and cyl. every once in a while the swamp needs drainin.

You guys pretty much nailed it.

@Gypo Logger, thank you for the offer but that won't be necessary.

This is a principle issue. I'm fortunate enough to have the ability to replace the jug because of good fortune and good friends. Someone else may not in the future and will have to be made aware so they may avoid it.

AFAIC, when you sell a saw here, it's your duty to go through it and make sure it's as described. This is not eBay or Craig's list, it's a site with members that enjoy saws and cutting (and generally know their stuff). I usually feel more confident buying here because the pre sale inspection by the seller has always led to a satisfying transaction in the past.

The member finally responded that he had a "good jug" that he'd be willing to send. He seems to not check in here much which is just fine.

I'll see what the end result is here. Seems like the seller just sells saws and rarely posts anything else. That alone shoulda been a warning to me.

Thanks for the response guys. I'll update the end result.

Latest posts

Back