Most efficiant OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodyacres --- I found a few resources for our area check out rusticresource.com (sequoah OWB) and firemaxbioheat.com (supposed to be a dealer in Jackson mi. and someone on here put one in recently one more cozyheat.net (various indoor boilers EKO, Biomax, Tarm ect.) hope it helps some irishcountry

woodyacres --- I found a few resources for our area check out rusticresource.com (sequoah OWB) and firemaxbioheat.com (supposed to be a dealer in Jackson mi. and someone on here put one in recently one more cozyheat.net (various indoor boilers EKO, Biomax, Tarm ect.) hope it helps some irishcountry

Earlier this summer I purchased an EKO 40 from Dave @ Cozy Heat and he was great to deal with. If you're looking for a high efficiency boiler I highly recommend Cozy Heat.

Originally Posted by irishcountry

I argee, look into a gasifier installed into a shed with hot water storage. I just installed a tarm with 1500 gallons of storage. It is extremely efficent, absolutly no smoke comes out the chimney once it start gasifacation. I have been firing it once every two weeks in the summer to heat my DHW

I have only used wood heat in my house that I built in 1990.Originally was 1500 sq feet and used a Vermont Castings Defiant.I did not even install any other furnace.Put in a Central Boiler outdoor furnace in 1995 and added 1100 sq feet to the house.Heating 2600 sq feet now and never had a heat bill for 18 yrs.I had a couple of chainsaws and tractors anyway for the 100 acres that I have so the only real outlay I have yearly is chainsaw,splitter and tractor fuel plus my time.I usually cut the weekends during October.I get a good workout but also enjoy cutting wood.So its not bad not having an actual heating fuel bill for 18 years so far.

I'm new here also, but i would like to add this little bit of experience. My neighbor has a timberwolf and he uses nearly twice the amount of wood i do in a winter. our houses are similar in size and age, but i have a woodmaster 4400. I have noticed that his stove hasn't got a blower on it like mine does, and it creates a HUGE amount of smoke. Mine on the other hand, barely smokes at all. i was under the impression that smoke = wasted fuel. i think about any stove with a blower that is installed well and insulated properly would be a good bet.

Just my two cents.

P.S. i am heating a newer 2300 SQF house with about a full sized truck load every 10 days

I'm new here also, but i would like to add this little bit of experience. My neighbor has a timberwolf and he uses nearly twice the amount of wood i do in a winter. our houses are similar in size and age, but i have a woodmaster 4400. I have noticed that his stove hasn't got a blower on it like mine does, and it creates a HUGE amount of smoke. Mine on the other hand, barely smokes at all. i was under the impression that smoke = wasted fuel. i think about any stove with a blower that is installed well and insulated properly would be a good bet.

Just my two cents.

P.S. i am heating a newer 2300 SQF house with about a full sized truck load every 10 days

I too have a Timberwolf and it smokes at start up for a few minutes, but that is it. I wouldn't generalize like that. Green wood, not enough stack, damper door all play a big part in smoke. Does he have any chimney pipe added to it? Has he messed with the damper door at all? I added 2' of pipe to mine initially and went with another 2' when I saw that was not enough. I also bent the very tip of the damper door down just slightly (where the chain attaches) so the door would open another 1/8" to aid in draft. Natural draft is not perfect, but it can work just fine if properly set. But, all of this is negated if the wood is green...

I heat my 2000 sq ft house and 960 sq ft shop with 7 cord per winter.

Chris

Just my two cents.

I agree, smoke means your losing effiency.When my wife decided to buy our owb we had no wood. Like most of her ideas its up to me to make them work.For 2 years i was burning green wood.A lot of green wood, as in about 20 ricks a year.Feeding that damn furnace was a part time job.It smoked like a house on fire.Eventually my wood cutting inproved untill I managed to get a year ahead.Now I burn dry wood only and have cut consumtion by a 3rd.

asking a question like this is useless as most of us have only had 1 brand of boiler so unless you install and run a few you are wasting time asking.

some here have been around wood fired heating for years and they will almost always say that most all owb suck.

but with the popularity of boilers also brings advances in there designs so way I see it is we are on the cutting edge of what is right and soon only good stuff will be in the market.

downdraft and multy pass designs are the way to go and most all brands are doing this .

get the Timberwolf
very good stove for the money although I am a little bias towards that brand so my opinion may not count. how long have you had your model 5000 timberwolf owb coostv and how was Tim Handy to deal with

I am new to this section, normally in the chainsaw. But i have a question, who builds the most efficiant OWB. I am asking this because i have always had add on furnaces and every one i know with an OWB goes through twice as much wood as I do. I mean on average i burn 5-7 chord, depending on the winter, they burn 10-15 chord depending on the winter. Is there a certain OWB that will not increase my wood average?

None of them are. With that said, I would nevr even think about dragging wood into my house again. I absolutely love my outdoor boiler.

get the Timberwolf
very good stove for the money although I am a little bias towards that brand so my opinion may not count. how long have you had your model 5000 timberwolf owb coostv and how was Tim Handy to deal with

I too am biased. I have just started my third heating season with mine. I had an advantage though, my father in law had his for 2 years before I purchased mine, I also got to know others with different brands. I watched my FIL get his up and running and learned from what he did to achieve a decently clean burning stove. You are 100% correct in stating it is a good value, I do not regret it one bit. Tim was excellent to deal with very helpful in answering all of my questions, but I did not go to him unarmed either, I asked a ton of questions based on what I witnessed my FIL go through (he never asks questions). I spent half or less than what others are reporting. I purchased the stove only from him and went to Ebay and Pexsupply.com for the majority of my stuff. I also went direct to the manufacturer of the foam insulation (bypassing Tim) and purchased from them. I had the boiler for an entire summer which helped me plan shop and execute the installation.

None of them are. With that said, I would nevr even think about dragging wood into my house again. I absolutely love my outdoor boiler.

Exactly.

Chris

Latest posts

Back