Most Expensive tree Pics as promised.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeTopKid

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The Black Poplar Tree as mentioned in the 'Most Expensive Single Tree' post have been scanned and will be posted below as promised..

A bit of background for who ever didn't read the post it was a very rotten, leaning and dangerous tree that no one wanted to touch. The photos don't really do it justice they were taken with a disposable camera and don't really capture how immense this tree was. It hard to believe that something so big and heavy could support itself at such an angle. It was severely decayed in the one upper section and the base, it was also stood in water which was an overflow channel for the lake it stood by (I had to stand on a 20ft construction board so as not to be up tp my chest in water). There was no access for vehicles. It was half a mile from the nearest track and a mile from the nearest road. View attachment 92844

View attachment 92845

View attachment 92846The job basically entailed felling the beast, but a healthy stem had to be bought down in sections so as not to wreck a brand new boat jetty. That was what was bad about the job as we knew there was a fair amount of rot at the base and the roots but it only became apparent how bad when the tree was on it's side.

I proceeded with my face cut and, after about 12inches I was into some hollow stuff. You could actually hear stuff dropping off inside the tree and land in water! So I left the face cut small and climbed the embankment and started to make a series of progressively deeper back cuts as it was too wide for a conventional boring cut. Eight inches into my back cut the earth beneath us started to groan so I pulled out the saw stepped back, just as the roots, and about thirty feet of embankment gave out and collapsed into the lake.

One of our guys Tom captured it on a disposable camera. The guy with his arm in a sling was W--y-e who you may remember from One of the funniest moments' posts who was caught crouching down in some bushes as a lady came out with some tea although this incident was some 12yrs previous. This tree was felled in 1999.

I had to join three photos together although this still left the bottom 20ft out of the photo on top of this they were hanging out of the scanner so it is somewhat clipped but I included plenty of others so you can join the dots. I excluded the photo of me looking white as a sheet just after it was felled as I realized how little was holding me in the air when I bombed down the healthy stem the day before. Also not shown on the photos is the ton and a half of Ivy that we dragged half a mile to the chipper on the first day it was growing from a stem ten inches thick! Everything else was dismantled and left as 'snake cover' . Everything had to be moved by Turfor winches and cables due to the lack of access. A ground guy who was also an engineer proved a great help with this.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Great stuff :D

That tree looks very similar to what we call cottonwood or black cottonwood in Alaska. I've felled several in the 36" DBA range that exploded when making the back cuts. Very scary and dangerous stuff. Pretty much all of them over 20" in my area are hollow in the middle and dead in the tops. Absolutely my least favorite tree to fall.

Great stuff :D

That tree looks very similar to what we call cottonwood or black cottonwood in Alaska. I've felled several in the 36" DBA range that exploded when making the back cuts. Very scary and dangerous stuff. Pretty much all of them over 20" in my area are hollow in the middle and dead in the tops. Absolutely my least favorite tree to fall.

I live in Texas now and it's hard to tell the Black Poplar from the Cottonwoods down here. It was pretty scary but after I'd dropped it and seen how bad it was. The day before I was full of thoughts of big money, and bravado! The day after was a bit humbling. I was 32 when I felled that tree and thought I knew it all! That was a lesson day, and after everyone was paid it was not that spectacular money wise but the noise as the roots ripped apart was so loud. It echoed across the lake. A waterways guy (who we were working for) heard it from the road a mile away.

A good memory though.

WOW. Awesome Poplar. I'd bet that was hell to clean up. Rep for you.

It was a pig we had to fell quite a lot of surrounding trees to get to it, and I'd never seen so much Ivy either. We filled about 500yds of embankment along the side of the lake with debris, and I had blisters from sharpening saws continuously. It was a cool job though we all enjoyed it.

It was a pig we had to fell quite a lot of surrounding trees to get to it, and I'd never seen so much Ivy either. We filled about 500yds of embankment along the side of the lake with debris, and I had blisters from sharpening saws continuously. It was a cool job though we all enjoyed it.

I hate IVY on trees. Everytime I stop paying attention to the ivy branches I suck them into the saw-dawgs and then it ends up jamming up the chain and constantly bogging them down. How many day job was that?!

I hate IVY on trees. Everytime I stop paying attention to the ivy branches I suck them into the saw-dawgs and then it ends up jamming up the chain and constantly bogging them down. How many day job was that?!

It was four full days, from first arriving, and leaving the bank of the lake presentable. Day one was removing/chipping the Ivy and dismantling the healthy stem. Day two was felling, and dismantling the thing, and a it took a day and half to winch all the pieces into the thicket.

Awesome job. Getting to fell a monster like that is always fun. I'm jealous. (Although I'm not jealous about the hand winching.... haha) I'm curious though why all the backcuts? Once again thanks for posting the cool pics..... Mike

Awesome job. Getting to fell a monster like that is always fun. I'm jealous. (Although I'm not jealous about the hand winching.... haha) I'm curious though why all the backcuts? Once again thanks for posting the cool pics..... Mike

They were to arrest any potential splitting. It was way to wide to do a boring cut, and the angle of the lean was far greater than the photos actually show. The photos don't best show either if you look at the first picture (the three photos that were joined together) and imagine it towering over you you may be able to get the impression. You just couldn't get far enough away from the tree without having the view obscured. It actually looked like it could fall over on it's own, and I didn't want to take a chance on being flicked.

Back