Most Reliable Small Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha! that tree was about to fall over on it's own... :) :) I hate that lack of hinge wood. But yes, 20in bar 3/8 is "standard" (depends on area still) on 026/MS260 out here.

I know, it makes me kinda grin...

Last edited:
I think the MS361 is overkill for what the guy described as intended work.
For clean-up, the 50cc saw will do the work 99% of the time. And you always limb faster with a smaller saw. Absolutely no need to drag around weight that you don't need. For smaller trees, I work much faster and more efficient with the 353 as with the 262, despite the lower power. More power only serves you when the diameter grows. In smaller wood, the 50cc saw will cut as fast as the 361. Go for a 346/353 if you want the best 50cc saw, or the MS260 if you by some reason absolutely want a Stihl (but it's an old design).

Overkill? Why don't you just tell him to buy an electric model, or better yet...Ryobi just came out with an 18 volt chainsaw with an 8 inch bar.

Ha! that tree was about to fall over on it's own... :) :) I hate that lack of hinge wood.

There was about 10% diameter-worth of hingewood. That picture doesn't show it very well because of how it broke off. This one shows it a bit better, but the image is a bit to small to see all the details. Note how the breakage differed on the left vs. the right.

2007-03-31_125737_std.jpg

I think we're talking the same thing.. The only "hinge wood" (wood with the strength to be a hinge) is the tiny amount on the outsides of the hinge... The left was stronger; the right side has less than an inch of "wood", and even that is suspect.

Been caught a few times with trees like this, and even those that look heathly. I hate that feeling you get whan you bang in a wedge, and the tree settles back on it and pushes it down into the cut.. Damn Hemlocks are the worst.

Last edited:
If you're going to have a number of people running your saw(s), then Stihl is the best application. They take more abuse and rough handling than the Huskies do. Our dealership sells saws (Stihl and Husky) to a wide variety of mills, logging crews, and construction crews. The number one thing to go on the Huskies are the spring mounts and after that it's usually the throttle cable (362/365/371/372/385) or the muffler (350/346/353/359). On the Stihls it's usually just sheer breakage from being thrown or crushed.

I may be able to give you a little information in that I currently run both of the saws you seem to be interested in.

I started with the 026 pro after using one for several months clearing a hillside as a side job one summer working for my uncle and using his 026. It is light and manuverable. It starts every time and runs like a champ.

Then I went home and my dad runs old Homelite 360's. The 026 will not, can not, and never was intended to run with that size of saw. When we have to go clear the irrigation ditch we take my 026 pro. It weighs a lot less has plenty of power and always works. Other than that my dad claims it is a toy saw.

I recently picked up a 361 and what a difference. It makes my dad's 360's run in shame. It is one wicked performer and for someone with only one saw I would recommend it. If you are doing a little pruning work by all means go with the 026/260 but if you occasionally intend on falling/bucking trees my vote goes for the 361.

I once thought about the 441 but after running the 361 I don't think I need anything bigger than I already have.

Hope that helps...

Good luck...

Hot Saws and Flying Chips

You need to watch Ben O's race 260 video if we are talking mods!:jawdrop:

HEHE :hmm3grin2orange: I've seen the 026 race saw videos before. Ben has a pretty impressive 026. After watching the videos one thing comes to mind:

HOT KNIFE THROUGH BUTTER :chainsaw:

I have both the MS361 and the MS260 and usually bring both into the woods with me. There is yet to be a day that the MS260 has not been fired up but many days the MS361 sits in the truck or cabin or comes back without being used.

From your description of your use I would go with the MS260. Mine works like a dog, starts like a dream and works its tail off all day long with sipping just a little fuel. Plus it is just easier on the arms.

Yeah, I don't know of too many 3 cube saws that can hang with his.

Don't quote me on this but........I thought Ben once told me that his 026 race saw will easily take on a stock 044. Like I have said in a previous post, he will be using the 026 at the Sequim WA log show.

I'm not sure on the 026 vs. 044, I would say yes. Maybe he can give some advice on the stock 026/260, which seems to be the best choice by far.

as far as a stock 026/MS260, they are good reliable saws that will take a good beating. there are a few things i love about them, porting will change them like no tomorow! BUT.. to get much gain you must toss the stock carb and go with a larger one with a spacer under it, with this you lose the ability to use the stock air filter and cover.. you have to run a K&N/Uni type filter leaving you exposed to water intake. less than ideal.

if you want a saw in this size class that will modify very well and still look stock on the outside i have to say the husky 346 wins hands down.

For a used saw the Husky 242xp/xpg is a good smallsaw I think their is one in every woodshed here in sweden :p
They seem to just run and run, despite the lack of maintenance from allot of their owners ,,

I need a small saw,for clean-ups,brush,firewood etc,to me reliability is the most important thing,it has to start every time and go

The people in this thread are missing the original question that was asked, see above.

The man needs a light saw, have you ever tried cutting some brush with an 038 or 031AV? Those suckers are heavy when you're bent over or doing side-sweeps.

The man is looking for a Stihl MS260, a Husky 346XP, or a 353XP. Those 361's and 441's may make all kinds of sense to the Western folks, but that's a big ass saw by Eastern standards and certainly too big to use for effective clean-up work.

The people in this thread are missing the original question that was asked, see above.

The man needs a light saw, have you ever tried cutting some brush with an 038 or 031AV? Those suckers are heavy when you're bent over or doing side-sweeps.

The man is looking for a Stihl MS260, a Husky 346XP, or a 353XP. Those 361's and 441's may make all kinds of sense to the Western folks, but that's a big ass saw by Eastern standards and certainly too big to use for effective clean-up work.

if you re read all the posts you'll see many including mine that reflect your thoughts

For a used saw the Husky 242xp/xpg is a good smallsaw I think their is one in every woodshed here in sweden :p
They seem to just run and run, despite the lack of maintenance from allot of their owners ,,

+1

we even have one at construction site and it gets ????load of beating (for example, last summer... cutting styrofoam in +30c weather along with some cement)

I don't mean to sway you in any regards away from the 026/260 as it is a phenomenal saw. It has done everything I've asked it over almost the past 10 years. It's a small little power package and an ideal choice for doing just about anything you desire. It is virtually indestructible and easy for anyone to run.

As for my opinions of the 361, I think it will become my number one saw. I don't have any need for any of the 440's, 441's, 460's, or larger. Of course I still dream.... For just a couple of pounds more you have the ability to spin up to a 25" bar which takes away some of the leaning I've had to do while limbing with my 026. It would also allow you to buck a few larger trees from time to time.

Whatever your choice I don't think you'll go wrong as most of the saws mentioned will serve you well.

Thanks for all the help.How about the Husky 353 or the Shindy 488?I did look at the 488 and thought the chain tension was hard to adjust,is it just me?

Back