Most under rated chainsaw????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS390 is the only saw people are allowed to own here by law. That's ok though because i had one before the law was passed anyway. It gets a bad rap from tough guys. It's a good saw though.
The only major complaint about my MS390 is that it has no more power, and perhaps less, than my MS361. It also seems to drink a tad more fuel.

I still use my Mcculloch 610 Pro Mac that I bought new in 1978. 20 inch bar cuts anything I need for home use and I cut about a cord and a half with it yearly. The only downside is no automatic oiler so I have to thumb pump it a lot.
Is this brute force saw what you are talking about?

I also bought this Mac 610 in 1978. Still cuts and runs today as it should. Miine will oil automatically. You only need to pump it occasionally when felling a tree and/or running sideways.

Is this brute force saw what you are talking about?

I also bought this Mac 610 in 1978. Still cuts and runs today as it should. Miine will oil automatically. You only need to pump it occasionally when felling a tree and/or running sideways.

Yep, that’s the same 610 that I have except I don’t remember seeing that oval shaped silver sticker on the filter cover. I’ll have to look when I get home and see if mine has it. 36 years of use and nothing but spark plugs and a chain. If it has an automatic oiler that’s news to me. Guess I’ll have to dig out my owner’s manual and re-read it.

is

heres the 345 dropping a birch i said 346 in the video in the bubble i correct myself as i meant 345. the only thing i hated working on that saw was having to take the hole thing apart but wasn't bad this saw gets crabby about running to rich or lean and its metering a tad more than the carb should but not bad i left it alone. pulling chipper chain, is there a true semi chisel in .325 ?i though semi chisel was the chain with the 45% edge on the cutter side not a rounded cutter head

Mac 140 is my vote.

Rough cutting due to hard mounting, loud, foul exhaust, ignorant to start and tune, goofy chain brake placement but it just keeps on cutting and can be run one handed for limbing/knotting but has just that nice level of power for it's size. I will keep putting that saw in the truck for a long time yet. Did I mention loud....

The MS390 is the only saw people are allowed to own here by law. That's ok though because i had one before the law was passed anyway. It gets a bad rap from tough guys. It's a good saw though.

That contraption is the worst I ever laid my hands on - totally appalling! :mad:

The lesser versions are of course worse, but we never had those in Norway.

is

heres the 345 dropping a birch i said 346 in the video in the bubble i correct myself as i meant 345. the only thing i hated working on that saw was having to take the hole thing apart but wasn't bad this saw gets crabby about running to rich or lean and its metering a tad more than the carb should but not bad i left it alone. pulling chipper chain, is there a true semi chisel in .325 ?i though semi chisel was the chain with the 45% edge on the cutter side not a rounded cutter head

Ok, it cuts through birch (butter), but what’s the point?

That contraption is the worst I ever laid my hands on - totally appalling! :mad:

There's the problem right there. The MS390 is the BEST saw i've ever used. It's the largest cc, best quality saw and only saw i've ever had that can run a 25" bar and has never had a problem for the 5 years or so i've had it. The problem is you've fiddled with too many saws and now you've muddied the waters.

I have to agree with Troll on this one, having just upgraded a 310 to a 390. I noticed little improvement and now have a saw with less horsepower and more weight than my MS361. I thought the 390 would do a good job pulling a 25" bar. Sadly, It does not.:(

I have to agree with Troll on this one, having just upgraded a 310 to a 390. I noticed little improvement and now have a saw with less horsepower and more weight than my MS361. I thought the 390 would do a good job pulling a 25" bar. Sadly, It does not.:(

Yours must be defective then. Mine is unmodded. No problems with a 25" bar for the last 5 years.
IMAG0308.jpg

Yours must be defective then. Mine is unmodded. No problems with a 25" bar for the last 5 years.
View attachment 344687
Well, I guess my 361 has me spoiled. The 390 will pull the 25" bar, but it seems slow by comparison to the 361. I need to learn to have patience. On the other hand, if I really want to pull the 25" bar and watch the chips fly, my 046 Mag and my Makita with its BBK will run circles around either one.

Ok, it cuts through birch (butter), but what’s the point?

black birch is a bit tougher. just a nice little saw no point just wanted to show you guys. the butter of the woods here is poplar, il put in some oak and dry sugar maple/ rock maple if you want to see. but when i want il pick up my 372. im gonna let you guys go to the macs i just dont have anything running right this sec that old im sitting on i think is a homelite c-71 at shop if i remember right. of course needs points done. and other stuff.

Amazing how many good threads tend to die the minute someone posts a McCulloch Pic. I guess Mac is a cuss word these days. Is that correct?

OK, here is another under rated chainsaw:

Stihl 046 Magnum, circa 2000.

the old mcCullochs are nice saws but id run a box saw in this day over the old saws. they are such a pain just to change a chain or the weird place for just pooring the bar oil what a pain. we walk in the woods. the last thing i need to carry is a funnel.l new layouts and design of newer saw are just superior in my opinion. my opinion <--. nice 046 mag :rock::chainsaw:the only problem with box saws is the carb ADJUSTMENTS. home owners dont know how there saws run. and thats what kills them. back to subject. but aside from the old school setups on saws they are hard to kill when there running right.

I got past the funnel problem just yesterday for all my saws: Maple syrup bottle filled with bar oil. Clean it and fill it with a gallon jug of bar oil and forget the funnel. I used to do this over 5 years ago and forgot how well that it works.

thats awsome lol but thats not enough bar oil for me that would get me an hour. well what kind of bottle the long skinny ones that can fit in the cabinet. or fridge door

thats awsome lol but thats not enough bar oil for me that would get me an hour. well what kind of bottle the long skinny ones that can fit in the cabinet. or fridge door
The one I use holds 24 oz. I use two of them when I go to the field. 48 oz usually lasts all day for me. Funnels don't let you see where you are when you fill the tank, so you usually slop it over. Quart oil bottles are a good option, but they are harder to fill than the syrup bottles that have a wider mouth.

Anyway, we sure hijacked this thread in grand style. :rolleyes:

Back