moved: Angles?? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnutz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I moved this post the hardway probably but thats usually how I do things.
Had it under chain sharpening ( you know you have to look for that forum purdy hard to find it ). Anyway it was suggested I move this to here.

Ok I just started cutting on a regular basis this fall and before I had never even went to my back up chain that came with the saw. Now I'm using it enuff that I need to sharpen ( my dad has an electric and does the work for me ) my chain more often. I've seen the rigs that clamp to your bar so you can work on the chain in the field. I was interested in something like that, I think you can get a better job done with a file over the electric set up. Are those clamp on rigs worth anything?

Second question: On Oregon's website it gives the angles and file sizes needed for their different chains. I've been looking at Woodland Pro chains and I have yet to see a guide for sharpening their chains. Does one exist or should I get the settings off of a new chain before I ever put it on the saw?

Thanks for your patience

Carlton makes Woodland Pro chain for Baileys, and I believe Bailey's website has a cross-reference for their chains:)

Learn to hand file without a jig. It won't take long, and you will be way more satisfied with the cutting. And, you will always be able to sharpen your saw without relying on anyone else. Its taken me awhile, but i have noticed a major improvement in my last 5 sharpenings or so. Used to i had to file it, and hope it turned out good. Now, i can file it and make it how i want it.

Normally you just need the right diameter file for the pitch of chain you have. That and keeping the rakers lower than the cutters. The goal is to keep the top of the cutters all the same length, keep the cutter angles the same, and keep the rakers 25 to 30 thou lower than the cutters.

Back