Moving Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What equipment do you all use to move your firewood around?

I started in the 80's with a 10HP Simplicity garden tractor and small trailer. Then came a larger trailer made out of a 275 gallon oil tank cut in half. Then in the early 90's came the three wheelers and I used a Suzuki 125 instead of the garden tractor. The 3 wheeler became a 4 wheeler and around 2003 I jumped to a Kawasaki Mule. That lasted a couple of years until now I have a Kubota RTV 900 (the best so far).

The woodpile is out back by my shop, and I bring up a load to the house with the RTV 2 to 3 times/week.

What do you all use to move wood around?

Bob

Please tell me there is more to the story

surely there is more that we do not know about..
Back to topic. I move my wood various ways.. But never move it into the house.,usually use a 40 horse tractor and a wgaon. or my dually 4x4 to bring it in out of the woods

ATV (honda foreman 450ES) and trailer

or newholland TNF (80+HP) and wagon

or pickup (chevy 1500 thunder) and trailer (soon to be 14ft tandem landscape)

New Holland 2120 4x4 tractor and a 4x8 trailer. The trailer has 12" sides and I can add 12" sideboards if I'm feeling ambitious.
I also use my Polaris 6x6 for small amounts of firewood.

Ed

I'm trying to find a way to "use" my kids for moving wood! No luck yet!

try one of these see if it helps!:hmm3grin2orange:
REMORQUESWORKING024.jpg

then when you say "lets do wood" they come a runnin':deadhorse:

Hands and Feet

I have two pieces of equipment I use to transport firewood between the woodpile and the house. Their pretty basic and you really need to take care of them, once their worn out they can not be replaced. Now the concept is a little tricky so I'll try to explain their use, first grab the logs firmly with both hands and then you use your feet to transport yourself and the wood to the house. I know it's kind of a lost concept and all but it still works pretty well for me.:D

Oh and every now and then I use one of those yard boats too, mines not as fancy vapnut257's though.
:hmm3grin2orange:

F150 to get it in rounds from the wood lot to the work area behind the woodsed. 4 wheel mesh wagon like is used in greenhouses to move the split stuff into the back porch. The wagon goes through teh porch door so makes unloading easy. I start the season with 3 ricks 12x7' in there and about middle Jan start brining in 3 or 4 wagon loads. Now I am down to just bringing in one wagon load at a time as needed. Somehow my stock of wood is lasting a lot longer now. I suspect wood use must vary with the outside temperature? :cheers:

Harry K

I have two pieces of equipment I use to transport firewood between the woodpile and the house. Their pretty basic and you really need to take care of them, once their worn out they can not be replaced. Now the concept is a little tricky so I'll try to explain their use, first grab the logs firmly with both hands and then you use your feet to transport yourself and the wood to the house. I know it's kind of a lost concept and all but it still works pretty well for me.:D

Oh and every now and then I use one of those yard boats too, mines not as fancy vapnut257's though.

That's funny, you must be spying on my operation...you've described my wood moving activities to a T. My boat is of the single, center-wheeled variety equipped with a metal hull.

Basically the same here. I deck my logs out in the pasture and do all my cutting there. If I can get it away from my wife I'll use the Honda Rancher to trailer wood to the shed but usually it's a wheel barrow show all the way. Maybe another Honda and trailer would be the answer? I keep telling myself that the exercise is good for me but I'm having a hard time believing it. :givebeer:

I got me one of them fancy plastic sleds,it's about 2'wide x4' long and about a foot deep..I load it up with wood and it slides pretty good on the snow between my woodpile and house

My 4yr old loves helping so we set him up with a plastic wheel barrow. He can haul three or four split pieces at a time and never seems to tire out.

You're doing WAY better than me with your 4 year old! My 4 year old usually ends up IN the wheelbarrow for a ride... :) He loves to throw small stuff into the trailer after I'm done cutting, though.

My woodshed is only about 10 yards from the house, so I just flip the light on and go grab an arm load. Getting it to the shed, if it was cut on my own property, I have a Cub Cadet 128 with the cart. Otherwise, I just back up the truck to the shed.

And it looks like I'll be visiting the shed a lot the next 3 or 4 days. The forecast HIGH for tomorrow is in the single digits, with below zero the next few nights. And the first day of spring is just 2 weeks away!!

Latest posts

Back