Moving Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my wood is transfered via my 87 Chevy half ton (sometimes it hauls a ton) :blush: Then its unloaded by my hands, split by my hands, stacked by my hands, sets a year, then wheelbarrowed to my house to burn. I have an improvement in the making, my homemade hydraulic logsplitter will be done soon. Good Thread!

This is what I use to get it home and to dump it next to the OWB. I don't like throwing wood unless its into the stove. I let the 14 yr old daughter pick up the logs when I do red oak and then cut and split with a maul right next to the stove.:D

Lots of back work

Cut down tree, block up in biggest pieces I can handle, carry to trailer or through up onto the bank, throw in trailer, unload by hand at home or use tractor when it's working. I use a Honda TRX500 when I can. Most of the time its almost all grunt work.:) :) :)
attachment.php

I use a DR powerwagon to haul around the yard in the summer and a plastic sled from the wood pile to the house when there is snow.

Was cruising through town yesterday on way to Doctor when I spotted what I thought was a Unimog with 4 sale on it. Looked cherry going by. Stopped on way back but it was a 'Suzuki Minnie Truck'. Cute as a bug and I thought about the fun hauling wood around in it. Bed was a bit tinny looking to stand up to having stuff thrown into it. Didn't bother to call the number.

Harry K

Do you guys stack your wood after you've split it to season it or just leave it in a pile?

So far I have been stacking it to be seasoned, and I would be stacking it again when i get it to the house, just wondering because stacking it twice kind of seems a bit repetitive.

I use my atv to haul wood out of my woods with a northtrails atv trailer. Its about 4'X7' with 16" sides and has golf cart size wheels underneath the box. This means my skid trails are less than 5' wide in places so I don't have to cut alot for making trails wide enough for a truck, tractor, etc...
The trailer seems pretty tough so far and I've had a 1/4 cord of wet oak in it with no problems.

I find its easiest to block up the tree in the woods and just back the trailer up right to the blocks and load up(easy in semi-mature woods). The atv can pull atleast twice as much wood in the trailer as it can skid on the ground. The trailer also manually dumps so unloading is fast.

Not as fancy as some setups but it works for me!:cheers:
Ian

Do you guys stack your wood after you've split it to season it or just leave it in a pile?

So far I have been stacking it to be seasoned, and I would be stacking it again when i get it to the house, just wondering because stacking it twice kind of seems a bit repetitive.

Admittedly this is ...well...stupid comes to mind. I split and stack for seasoning, then move it from those piles to the woodshed and stack it again. Then from woodshed to back porch and stack it again. In reality the last move is only done starting about early Feb. Every thing prior to that only gets moved twice, onto stack when splitting the stacked in the porch at the beginning of season.

Good thing I am retired with not much to do.

Harry K

with a northtrails atv trailer. Its about 4'X7' with 16" sides and has golf cart size wheels underneath the box.

IndyIan, what kind of an ATV do you run it with? i have a TRX450ES honda foreman and i can pretty much fill the trailer as long as i dont have to drive on brutal terrain.

I have the exact same trailer i use behind my ATV, it's a great little trailer. Just about the perfect size to pull behind the ATV, but it's big enough to load the atv in the trailer to take it places. They are galvanized so painting and rusting is not a problem. My only complaint would be the tires. they are wide, and are brutal for creating resistance. Instead of floating over mud and snow they tend to sink in and create drag. Like you said they are golf cart tires so they slide all over the place. I would like to upgrade to tires found on "bush buggy" trailers. Wide, knobby atv tires. Of course those tires are not road legal. What do you think of yours?

Hi Wismer,
I've got a 2001 Suzuki Kingquad, the 300cc one, not the new beasts. Not really powerful but superlow range and the front dif-lock make it work really well in the woods.

I really like the trailer too but the slick tires can make things interesting once in a while. Most guys have a small landscape trailer but I like the narrow track of the northtrails. Fits nearly perfectly with the atv

I've been watching too much car rally racing and I notice they customize their tires for each stage by melting new grooves into their tires. I've been thinking about doing the same thing on those trailer tires with the skil saw... Set it at a 1/4" and do some more grooves... I'd feel dumb if I cut too deep though!
I think the wider tire is still better than a narrow one in the mud as you would be dragging the axle all the time then. Most of the time I do my hauling when the ground is frozen or dry, but I have used the winch a couple times to drag the trailer and atv to solid ground in the mud season.
I have covered the worst mudholes with slabwood from milling I have had done and that works well, just make sure you have lots of overlap between slabs.

Ian

Yea, thats an idea, I could do the same with a skilsaw. My ATV is an '01 too. When did you get the trailer? I got mine with the ATV. 6 yrs old and no rust! I'm looking at a bush buggy. I use one at another job i have cutting firewood. It is really an amazing machine, it tracks well, has good tires for traction and they are low psi so they are suspension as well. It's a great design.

Wismer,
How big of a bush buggy have you used? I've seen some that can't hold much more than a wheelbarrow, I think there are bigger ones out there. Also, don't air down your northtrails tires too much, at 10 psi I lost the bead on one with a medium load of wood. I didn't notice till I unloaded but there was no damage done:D
Ian

A 1946 I.H. Farmall B with a trailer made from a 50's chevy pickup bed. That brings it out of the woods to the splitter and woodpile. Then a two wheel cart made from bicycle wheels, a washing machine tub, and a power mower handle to bring it inside to the woodbox.

Last edited:
Ian,

The buggy I used at the job was a 4x5, when you loaded it full, it held just about as much as you can put in the northtrail. The northtrail is quite a bit bigger, but there is a point where you cant load it full because its too heavy for the ATV, depending on type of wood and terrain.

ahaha yea, i found that out the hard way too up at the cottage. I wanted a softer ride (like the bush buggy provides) on one of our trailers up there, didnt know it was tubeless and 30 meters down the trail with 4 people in it the tire lost the bead and was flat. Thats why i liked the bush buggy, it floats because of the low PSI and cause of the low PSI the tires are just like suspension, it makes it easier to work with, and alot better for people to ride in.

I use kawasaki 700 quad with a 4x8 trailer and a 3/4 ton pickup works well for me and gives me an excuse to buy a new quad every few years haha

Back