Moving Logs by Man

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking along the lines of some auto wheels and a frame of some sort

Can anybody tell me a way to move logs with man power?

Thanks for any replys!

Need a lot more details from you. You getting into....firewood? Commercial logging? End use for logs. And a whole bunch more.....

Kevin

An arch and an ATV for this one.
Arch.jpg

Works with smaller stuff too. LogRite arches have a website.

Kevin

Terrain?

Distance being moved?

Type of wood? (diameter, weight, etc)

What tools/equipment do you have right now?

There are a number of options depending on the specifics of your situation.

If you have a truck you can pull them, a quad can snake them out of the bush (that logging arch would come in handy here), a welder and some steel could net you a furniture dolly on steroids, a tractor can do almost all of the above (with a 3 pt hitch).

My wood gets tow-strapped to the road or at least as close as I can drive to them. If it is too rough or in a treed area I just carry them out, but the wood up here is tiny compared to much of the wood down south.

I have flat land with slight slope.

I want to move 15" diameter logs that are 10' long.

To bring them to a landing for a bandsaw.

:chainsaw:

If you were moving them to my bandmill, I sure wouldn't want them dragged. The sawyer has to get the dirt off before he can cut, or blades won't last but a few cuts. Bark picks up all kinds of small stones, etc., I've had some brought to me that I couldn't [wouldn't] saw - Looked like they were pushed around a construction site with a dozer. The arch will get one end up, both is better. Tractor with a bucket, 3 point hitch forks, rolled on a low trailer, anything but dragged through the dirt.

I'd use a tractor with a boom pole. Then, at the worst, you only have the butt end slightly dragging in the dirt.

Build two arches. Put a pole between them like the pole on a hayrack. Then you can lift both ends of the log.

Build two arches. Put a pole between them like the pole on a hayrack. Then you can lift both ends of the log.

This is what I'm picturing something like this.
I'm just wondering if anyones done it before. There's no way that I'll be dragging them anywhere.

This is what I'm picturing something like this.
I'm just wondering if anyones done it before. There's no way that I'll be dragging them anywhere.

Definitely. One of the logging arch sites states that you can use a second logging arch for long logs and/or to keep them totally off the ground.

They are on sale for $289 near here, so should be a bit cheaper down where you are. For under $500 for 2 you should be good to go.

Go up one site to the milling forum. Do a search. Northern tool has a neat little hay wagon for about $299. Make a side ramp with a winch. A atv works well for the small stuff - heavy stuff you really need iron and brakes. I have a little Norwood band mill. What kind of mill are you running?

Sheesh... I was gonna say, I have a Honda Rincon 4x4 (680), and I wouldn't want a log as big as the one in the pic following me down a hill. Flat ground is one thing.

Get a tractor and put the man on it.
Right on!

I waited and waited and finally broke down and bought an old(er) tractor a few years ago. It changed my life. Now any thing around here is possible. I bought it to make a rock retaining wall but I bought a mower and box blade and maintain 12 acres of field and some roads. Then I bought a rake and spread, leveled and seeded a lawn with about a $4000 savings.
Snow blower to handle Northern Maine winters.
I had two loads of crushed rock delivered for the driveway delivered and spread and maintain it myself.
Then I found a land plow and disc to make some food plots for deer (and moose) viewable from our back deck.
(nice when we have visit)
This week I bought a logging winch to cut fire wood on my own land and maybe some logs to sell if I want.

Used 30 hp tractor = 8,000
Implements = 6,000
Increase in quality
of life, entertainment,
and property value = priceless

your mileage may very
Dan.

Northern Tool has log arches for both ends of the log to be towed with an atv or whatever for not a lot of $$. I think that Bailey's has better arches that can be towed by hand or ATV for more $$. Look around and either buy or build something similar if you have a stationary bandmill. With an Alaskan mill you can mill where the tree falls.

Back