Mr. Snelling messed with my brain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flyboy

flyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Well after reading the birth of a NOS 076 thread I got to thinking. I first wanted 1 of my own...but then decided since I have absolutely no use for a chainsaw, and own 2.5 of them already, why not just mess with one my current saws.

So I have 2 good Stihl 031AV saws and one donor 031av. I just pulled the jug off the dead saw that is missing way too many parts to restore and discovered that the jug looks pretty good. There is a bit of aluminum transfer and a lot of carbon, but the honing marks are still visible beneath the aluminum transfer.

There appears to be a lot of material that could that could me removed to port the spare cylinder.

Has anyone ever ported an 031? Can I get this saw close to 4HP. My better of the 2 031s is very strong as it is....but nothing says success like excess.

flyboy

flyboy

ArboristSite Operative
The only modern saws I have run are a Stihl 200T, 029 and a Husky 455. The 200t was just amazing(for what it is intended to do). The 029 was ok but also had a dull chain. The 455 is a worldclass piece of crap compared to my 031av.

So I guess I am not looking to make a modern saw, just make my old one better. Can you give me some quick direction from my pics?

Last edited:

Latest posts