Ms 170 and 180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, guys, I did not mean to turn this into another QCA debate! If Lake likes the QCA, then it must have some redeeming value. I've just never figured out what that would be since the pocket in my chaps has plenty of room to hold a scrench. :) And I'd not gripe about it on a public forum either if only Stihl gave us a choice on the 180.

Sounds like the consensus on the 170 / 180 saws is that we all like them when used for the right application. Even SawTroll agreed, but for him the only 'right application' is rose pruning. :) :) Do roses really grow way up north in Norway? :)

Yes, they do (the roses that is).

I actually played with the thought of getting a 170 or 180 some time ago, for the really small stuff.....

.....but then I came to my senses and bought a 339xp. The MS200 was the alternative at that time.

I have a 180C, have used a bunch of saws over the years, have bigger saws for rfirewood cutting, but find the 180 to be a little gem. It does what it is designed for very well. Yeah, it doesn't buck up firewood as fast as the big boys do but it is of course inexpensive, very light and cuts a heck of a lot faster that I expected. I cut mosly rose stems, white spruce and birch and it zips thru 6" stuff darned fast. Just got to watch out for those widowmaker rose petals. For me it is the perfect saw to lug around in the boat or on a snogo. It would also cut a winter's firewood for my small place if pressed into service. I am one of the persons who likes the quick adjust chain tensioner (wish it also had the tooless fill caps).

Has anyone used the smallest Shindaiwa (the 285S? I've never used one and before the 018 came along, considered getting the Shindaiwa. Here it is a lot more expensive and Stihl parts and service make the choice an easy one.

Amazing Thread

Never thought anyone on this site would have the kahunas to admit to owning the 170.

When my first 200T was in the shop, they loaned me a 170. Afterwards, I bought the thing for $100. It's lightweight, starts easy, and if you are a patient sort of fellow - you can even cut through anything with a sharp chain.

Problem - the chain now seems to loosen up too often. Its like the nuts don't hold everything together anymore. Oh well, I knew I was using a POS anyhow, and besides, it's my groundies saw now since I'm back to my 200T.

In a perfect world, I would have a pallet of 200T...

I have a whole bunch of MS170 and 180's and they're great little saws. Super light, super simple and fairly reliable. Easy to work on too. I can assemble one from a pile of parts in about 1hr now.

I prefer the 180 for the better lower conrod brg (caged, not loose) and the slightly greater torque, but that's it. As for the gripes with the QCA, come on turds, it's only 1 bar stud, a bar cover and a chain adjuster assy to covert it over. Total of about $10 on fleabay to accomplish. Takes about 5 minutes to convert it over.

I use these all the time as my snowmobile saw when I am opening trails or cleaning up windfalls. It's light enough as to not be a burden and is good enough for the crappy little 4-6" spruce, fir and burned woods that usually gets in our way. We put one on each of our trail groomers at our local snowmobile club.

I agree with the changeover to regular chain and not that super-tiny crap. I even convert the 170's to regular 3/8" pitch chain, still works OK for me.

Thanks alot for the feedback fella's.. We are going to have us a little ash cutting party sunday... I may have to pick one of the little guys up and try it out.. Appreciate the info!!!

Latest posts

Back