MS 200T airbox cover tabs going through engine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjo75

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 200T that's about 7 years old. Never used much. After the first 10 tanks it blew up. Stihl finally fixed it and said that it's a design flaw and the tabs that hold the air filter cover on will break and go through the motor. The Stihl rep said to be very easy taking the cover off and on and not to do it unless absolutely necessary. Less than 100 tanks later it blew up again. Just got it back from the shop. $402 for a new top end. I got it home and noticed the filter cover wasn't seated good. I took it off and saw this little piece of 20180919_191647.jpg 20180919_191720.jpg metal resting on the front of the carb. If I had started it it would have been the end of it again. I'm calling them tomorrow to let them know what happened. Has anyone else had this happen? How do i fix it. I'm scared to run it until I get this fixed permanently. How is your filter cover held on? Is it these 2 little metal hook tabs?

I'm the only one that has ever ran it. I take extreme care to ease it on and off. The first time it broke the Stihl rep said they knew they had a problem out of those and to be careful taking it off and on. I push it in gently and have had no trouble getting it off and on. Seems to be vibrating and breaking but I don't know. This the second factory cover to do this and after the first one I'm extremely careful.

I've seen two 200t and one 020t with this problem just this year. The one sucked it in deep. Wrecked the piston, the cylinder survived, but we couldn't get the bearings clean and had to split the whole shebang. It's a known design flaw that was intentionally changed on the 201t.

I'm glad to hear again that it's not totally my fault. I'm very careful taking it on and off. I push in and turn so there's as little pressure as possible on the tabs. This time I got it back from the Stihl shop and one was freshly broken off.

The chance of them breaking seems even higher, as production will likely cut corners in material quality. Currently the Huztl covers are more expensive than OEM when you factor shipping.

IMG_0806.JPG
Here's what happens when the screw breaks while the saw is running. I check the screw every time I open the air box and turn gingerly...

View attachment 675907
Here's what happens when the screw breaks while the saw is running. I check the screw every time I open the air box and turn gingerly...
I have only seen this happen once and I have seen the tabs get wrecked a lot of times but not break off. None of my climbing 200ts have ever gad this problem and I owned them since they were first out. This is not a typical problem with these saws . Carbs seem to be the biggest problem. I would love to see the saw and figure out why it keeps happening you cant tell everything over the net.

I have to agree with Wolfie that carbs are the biggest problem and a rather weak case and poor annular buffer design. I've fixed four carbs, two annular buffers, and replaced one of these air filter covers that broke exactly where OP's did. When the annular buffer gives up, the intake manifold boot usually breaks next. I've replaced two of those boots as well, and that's a bit of a gorilla. The belt hook and bracket are too weak and like to break off also.

I've not had that happen but I've been hearing from more and more people with my same problem. Definitely a bad design. At least Stihl acknowledged it and fixed it. Now I have a like new 200T with a brand new top end that I'm afraid to even crank.

I've not had that happen but I've been hearing from more and more people with my same problem. Definitely a bad design. At least Stihl acknowledged it and fixed it. Now I have a like new 200T with a brand new top end that I'm afraid to even crank.
Not likely to happen just look at the part in question carefully and look for any damage. I dont see this happen very often.

Back